Don't Fear Fun, it's Father John Misty

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cobl04

45:33
About time we had a thread, a number of us like the album, and perhaps some newbies trundling through will pass comment.

I listened to it again today, it really grows on me with each listen. I love the lyrics. My favourite song at the moment is Only Son of a Ladiesman

Father John Misty - Only Son of the Ladiesman - David Letterman 5-1-12 - YouTube

I'll post my interview with him when it goes live. He's a cool dude. Seeing him live in 22 days' time.

Me too. A lot of the album reminds me of The Beatles actually - Tee Pees reminds me of Rocky Raccoon.

The ending of Sally Hatchet also reminds me of Pyramid Song.

That track reminds me of The Beatles too. So does I'm Writing A Novel.

Good album. I really hope he/they come through here on tour.

Just listening to this album again now, I am really struck by how rapidly the mood shifts from completely frivolous and irreverent on Tee-Pees to earnest and affecting on Everyman Needs a Companion. Yet the two tracks flow perfectly together musically. Kind of reminds me of Stray Cat Blues-Factory Girl to Salt of the Earth on Beggars Banquet, and that is about the highest compliment I can pay.

I didn't like Sally Hatchet at first because I found it to be too Beatles-esque. It has grown on me since, however.
I really like the lyrics to Learning to Love the War. They're kinda awkward and teetering on cheesy, but tiptoe that line nicely. Unique subject matter too.
I don't think I can really pick a favourite at the moment. Too many good ones.

The number of times I've watched that Letterman performance will remain a well-guarded secret.

I only just got the CD earlier this week and though it's been playing constantly in my car to and from work and running errands, I haven't been able to focus on it and I don't know all the song titles and stuff yet so I can't even comment on which songs I like best. But I can say that so far there's nothing I don't like.

twas not a typo. It just makes me laugh when people pronounce it that way. It's mostly old italians

I love this CD. Seeing him on the 20th, too.

I hadn't realized at first that this was not his first solo CD, and not his first under the FJM name. But I didn't see anything else listed on Amazon. Am I missing something, or do I just have to dig deeper to find those records?

His lyrics are fucking hilarious.

Well we went to get some work done so our faces finally matched
The doctor took one look at me and took a skin graft out of my ass
If this is what it takes to take you on a date
I'm gonna put my mammoth behind glass

Has anyone else got this on CD? Don't know what the vinyl's like but the CD comes in a thicker CD-sized cardboard box, and includes lyrics, hilarious alternate titles for all songs (Now I'm Learning to Love the War is "or Look, Records Have Always Been Really Expensive"), a quote from Octave Mirbeau, and a 31-chapter treatment for a hypothetical video game titled "Bed Bug Mountain". These poster-size liner notes are printed back and front. Absolutely ridiculous :lol: I love this guy even more now. So happy I bought the album. Every artist out there take note - this is how you do it. :up:

f0d7575b.jpg

I got it on CD too, but admittedly haven't looked closely at any of that stuff yet. Regardless, it's good to see artists actually go to some sort of effort with packaging and artwork.

I got it on CD too, but admittedly haven't looked closely at any of that stuff yet. Regardless, it's good to see artists actually go to some sort of effort with packaging and artwork.

Yeah, I was kind of overwhelmed when I pulled it all out. So I folded it up and put it all back right away.

Damn there's a lot of abbey road and white album on this album.

Just got back from seeing him at the Capitol Hill Block Party. It was great, but I wish it had been longer - just a 45 minute set.

Seemed weird that they were the first band on the main stage. I'd heard of the final band of the evening (Fitz & The Tantrums), but no clue about the two or three in the middle. FJM is "big" enough to be on frickin' Leno (or whichever late night talk show it was), but gets stuck with the 4:00 show?

Not that I minded getting home by 6. Heh. Anyway, I was right up front, and it was nice to have an unobstructed view for a show. Doesn't happen that often!

He was goofy. Loved it. Band was great.

Back
Top Bottom