Don't Fear Fun, it's Father John Misty

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
yes, that's the one. went to buy this yesterday. they had the normal and deluxe vinyls but didn't have it on CD. ordered it yesterday, shipped today, so hoping it will be awaiting me tonight.

The Pitchfork review for this is one of the stranger ones I've seen. It reads like a 2.0 but then is awarded an 8.8.

So, the aforementioned colored vinyl ended up being a disaster...the pop-up book cardboard in the middle warped a lot of the LPs, causing SubPop to have to press up some new ones and do a lot of returns...

My preorder should arrive soon and I'll give word on the cassette demos. It's interesting that the vinyl is actually at 45 speed over the two discs....tends to be the method of choice for those going for sound quality on 12" as it means wider grooves because the sides are cycled through much faster.

Really, really like it. No tracks quite jump out at me like Hollywood Forever Cemetery Sings or This is Sally Hatchet, but I think it's much more consistent as a whole. A big step-up in most departments. A lot more going on musically (take True Affection for example, did not think I'd ever hear an electro FJM song and it is fucking fantastic) and as gump says, so much interesting stuff in the lyrics. Really think it's going to reward future listens and become a firm favourite, certainly over Fear Fun at the very least. Other highlights for me were When You're Smiling and Astride Me, The Ideal Husband (that is going to fucking rule live) and Holy Shit.

The Night Josh Tillman Came to Our Apt. might contain the best, most brilliantly acerbic and funny set of lyrics I've ever read. A song about a horny man disgusted by a lover's poor grasp of grammar, but still fucking her because his dick's hard. And it's a great song to boot. Utterly brilliant.

This guy is a tremendous lyricist. That's fortunate for the album, because it gets a little shapeless in the middle musically. The night Tillman came to our apartment is a good example; without the story-telling, that song would be pretty forgettable. There are some excellent tracks, though - especially Chateau Lobby.

A few more spins now. He played Honeybear when I saw him last. I wasn’t a big fan of it, but it’s much better on record thanks to some warm, lush instrumentation. I still don’t think it’s a great opener though. I’m not as big on Chateau Lobby as everyone else, but still a good tune. I really like the verse about staying in her bed, and the sunny horn break that follows.

True Affection remains easily my favourite song on the album. Josh Tillman said he was trying to tune a girl via text and email so the song had to be “synthetic and inorganic” (this is a great read). It works so, so well. Smiling and Astride Me is another favourite. I am a huge fan of the oh oh ohs and the instrumentation underneath those, sort of like a darkly romantic take on The Beatles. A really satisfying song, it feels like there’s something at stake, which kind of belies the lyrics. Love the line “when you’re smiling and astride me / I can hardly believe I found you / and I’m terrified by that”, it taps well into that psuedo-fear of “what if I hadn’t found this?”

Thirsty Crow and Strange Encounter don’t do that much for me but the former gets by on its brilliantly acerbic lyrics and the latter has got some nice stuff going on musically, the drumming’s quite good. The Ideal Husband brings things right back though, it fucking rocks, particularly towards the end. Love it.

Bored in the USA I enjoy if I’m in the right mood. It doesn’t quite earn its run time, I find myself looking forward to the “useless education” line because I actually enjoy the laugh track.

Holy Shit is a really nice late-album tune, it’s quite light and sees Tillman sort of gets his Fitter Happier on. The last verse is beautiful. And I like Store One Day as well, it’s got a bit of a Nick Drake vibe to it. And I love that on a concept album that spends most of its time extolling how great his wife is, it finishes on this soft, slow, beautiful but ho-hum “seen you round / what’s your name”.

Holy Shit is a really nice late-album tune, it’s quite light and sees Tillman sort of gets his Fitter Happier on. The last verse is beautiful.

I am a big fan of this track, but I wouldn't call it light. I see it as pretty heavy thematically. The lyrical idea that the world is full of bullshit, but your life doesn't need to be consumed by it is a great one in that it's simultaneously cynical and optimistic. This guy is a damn good lyricist.

Give a close reading to the lyrics in Strange Encounter. That has to be one of the more disturbing songs he's written and it takes on a whole new meaning in the context of a record that's primarily about how much he loves his wife.

Also, I love the laugh track in Bored in the USA.

Last edited:
Finally caught up with this and love it. A little surprised it hasn't yielded more discussion.

Thirsty Crow and Strange Encounter don’t do that much for me but the former gets by on its brilliantly acerbic lyrics and the latter has got some nice stuff going on musically, the drumming’s quite good. The Ideal Husband brings things right back though, it fucking rocks, particularly towards the end. Love it.

Didn't we take you to the Thirsty Crow when you were in town?

And I love that on a concept album that spends most of its time extolling how great his wife is, it finishes on this soft, slow, beautiful but ho-hum “seen you round / what’s your name”.

Thought I read somewhere (maybe the P-Fork review?) that those were literally the first words he said to her.

Didn't we take you to the Thirsty Crow when you were in town?

Ohh really?! We went to three bars from memory, the first one was kind of like a tiki bar, we had food outside, then drove to yours and then walked to the place with a round bar and lots of whiskey, and then the one with the ugly douchebags kissing good-looking girls.

I would love to know if one of those was the Thirsty Crow. Particularly if it was the last one, because then I would have to strongly disagree that "nothing good ever happens" there ;)

Also from what I've read I thought she said those words to him. Either way, I just think it's a brilliantly ironic but still lovely way to end the album.

Ohh really?! We went to three bars from memory, the first one was kind of like a tiki bar, we had food outside, then drove to yours and then walked to the place with a round bar and lots of whiskey, and then the one with the ugly douchebags kissing good-looking girls.

I would love to know if one of those was the Thirsty Crow. Particularly if it was the last one, because then I would have to strongly disagree that "nothing good ever happens" there ;)

It was the second one, the whiskey bar.

Back
Top Bottom