Don't Fear Fun, it's Father John Misty

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The only reason I know who that is is because LCD Soundsystem covered Jump into the Fire.

:huh:

Well, at least you kind of know his best song I guess. That sure is a catalog worth delving into.

I'm not really big on this song, btw. Poor choice for first song. Lyrically it's good but he's not at his best when he's just crooning on a piano IN MY OPINION.

I'm sure there will be a wealth of awesome songs on the album though.

The album leaked. My thoughts:

Despite the heavy dose of black humor in Bored in the USA, I would say this album is actually a bit more dour than the last one. It's primarily folk and singer/songwriter, but there's a chamber pop influence in spots too. Really great songwriting on this one, I enjoyed it a lot more on first listen than I did Fear Fun. It's a very complete record.

My favorite track is True Affection, which is just out of this world. One of the prettiest tracks he's been involved with, Fleet Foxes or otherwise.

Not until February 10, so I'll probably give the album a rest until it's out in retail quality like I did with Panda Bear's new album.

This is a great album. I e-mailed Sub Pop though because their website says anybody preordering a physical version of the album will also receive an 8-song demos cassette (as supplies last)...just want to make sure they still have the tape in stock or else I might be able to snag the release elsewhere for less (since I can ship from Amazon/Amoeba for free, basically).

The deluxe edition has a pop-up book feature when you open it and the two discs are gorgeously colored...but you'll be paying like $23 more for the package compared to the regular double LP (not to mention that colored vinyl usually sounds worse, sometimes very noticeably so). I get the need to put out special packages and recoup a lot of the money invested on these projects right away for the artists, but that's a lot of money to ask for some coloring and special cardboard, I guess.

Then again, I bought a Grouper album for about the same because it came with a CD she made of a rainstorm and a special packaging, so who am I to judge...

Anyway, the album itself is absolutely surprising. Every track is brimming with surprising ideas and strong lyrics. An early contender for album of the year. :up:

Misty_zpsefd69cb2.png

:up:

Back
Top Bottom