Dismemberment Plan & spinoffs - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Just the Bang and the Clatter
Click Here to Login

Old 07-29-2007, 06:27 PM   #1
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 05:33 AM
Dismemberment Plan & spinoffs

So I had the pleasure of seeing Maritime yesterday in Chicago, which is made up of The Promise Ring's frontman Davey Von Bohlen and Dismemberment Plan bassist Eric Axelson. Great show, and the new material sounds awesome. Their new album, Heresy & the Hotel Choir comes out in October.

I also figured it was time to check up on what Plan singer Travis Morrison was up to, as I hadn't heard from his camp since those Plan benefit shows earlier this year. Apparently he's got an album coming out in a few weeks! It's called "All Y'all"and is being released under the name Travis Morrison Hellfighters. Sounds like a religious crusade, but whatever.

Anyway you can stream the whole album on his website, and it sounds like a great improvement over his solo debut, Travistan, which wasn't nearly as bad as some made it out to be (Pitchfork's 0.0 rating and accompanying review were so snobbishly condescending I wanted to blow up their headquarters for a week). Much more rocking but as eclectic as ever. Can't wait to see this live.

Just thought I'd open a discussion about the greatness of the Plan and their little offshoots. For those unfamiliar, purchase, borrow or steal 1999's Emergency & I, play about 5 times, and you will be ready to spread The Dismemberment Plan gospel yourself.

Old 08-01-2007, 02:48 PM   #2
The Fly

Local Time: 08:33 AM
I haven't heard any of the stuff they've made since they broke up but Emergency & I can still amaze me. Definitely one of the best albums from the late nineties.

Old 08-01-2007, 06:35 PM   #3
Blue Crack Supplier

I was beginning to think I was totally alone in this world.

Funny thing, Pitchfork just posted a story about Travis' new album the day after I wrote that.
Old 03-04-2008, 01:09 AM   #4
Blue Meth Addict

Local Time: 07:33 AM
I miss these guys so much sometimes, I have such good memories with their music. They were on an amazing roll with Emergency & I and Change. Sometimes I just sit and try to imagine what awesomeness we would have heard these last 7 years had they stayed together. I got all excited last year when they did the reunion shows, hoping that they'd decide to get back together. I'm still hoping. Their own lyrics say it better than I do:

But I’m not unsympathetic
I see why you left
There’s no one to know
There’s nothing to do
The city’s been dead
Since you’ve been gone...
Old 03-04-2008, 10:42 PM   #5
Blue Crack Supplier

I can't believe someone revived this thread.

I'd just like to reiterate that Travis Morrison's All Y'All is a very good album, and should have received more press.

U2PM, did you get a chance to hear it?
Old 04-01-2008, 11:57 PM   #6
Blue Meth Addict

I haven't heard anything from it, Laz. The only post-D-Plan thing I've really heard more than just clips is Born In '72, which I like quit a bit.

I had to dig this up yet again, as I was listening to some songs and 'Sentimental Man' came on and I ended up HAVING to listen to the vast majority of the Change album. Their music still hooks me that way, they were really onto a sound that was uniquely them. Someone needs to perform a mission to bring them back together similar to How Soon Is Never?
Old 04-02-2008, 12:21 AM   #7
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

I just don't get The Dismemberment Plan, although I've tried my ass off to do so (to say nothing of my ears). I don't at all hate them, but I cannot, for the life of me, understand what separates them shits from the pack. What gives? Did I need to be listening while they were still making music, to understand? Cuz I wasn't, for whatever reason...
Old 04-03-2008, 07:44 PM   #8
Blue Crack Supplier

I was going to reprint the 10.0 review Pitchfork gave to Emergency & I, but it's not on their website anymore?

I guess what you'd have to do is look at the state of indie rock in 1999, and consider how flexible and unique the Plan's rhythm section is by comparison, as well as how literate Morrison's lyrics are. They're almost emo but they're too genre-hopping, intelligent, and funny to ever be lumped in with that stuff.

It is hard to understand what the big deal is now, but I never heard them before '02 or '03 and I loved it after a few spins.

What are you listening to, exactly, IYS? Because you should really only be sampling from Emergency & I or Change.
Old 04-03-2008, 11:25 PM   #9
Blue Meth Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by lazarus

What are you listening to, exactly, IYS? Because you should really only be sampling from Emergency & I or Change.
Speaking of which, I only own "!" outside of two necessities. It's so vastly different than either of those that I have a hard time listening to it, or even wanting to. Have you heard their other pre-E&I albums, Lazasaurus?
Old 04-03-2008, 11:38 PM   #10
Blue Crack Supplier

No, I've heard bits of it but wasn't impressed. I think there's an EP in between that's very good, though. Have you ever heard that song The Ice Of Boston?

The remix album A People's History of The Dismemberment Plan is pretty cool too.
Old 04-03-2008, 11:48 PM   #11
Blue Meth Addict

I have not heard that song....

A couple other D-Plan gems I have are an original sounding cover of The Cure's 'Close To Me', a great original Christmas song called 'This Christmas, and a Travis solo and acoustic cover of LL Cool J's 'Around the Way Girl'. Let me know if you'd like to hear them.
Old 04-04-2008, 12:18 AM   #12
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
I was going to reprint the 10.0 review Pitchfork gave to Emergency & I, but it's not on their website anymore?

I guess what you'd have to do is look at the state of indie rock in 1999, and consider how flexible and unique the Plan's rhythm section is by comparison, as well as how literate Morrison's lyrics are. They're almost emo but they're too genre-hopping, intelligent, and funny to ever be lumped in with that stuff.

It is hard to understand what the big deal is now, but I never heard them before '02 or '03 and I loved it after a few spins.

I own both, but don't really enjoy much apart from "What Do You Want Me To Say?"
Old 04-04-2008, 12:58 AM   #13
Blue Crack Supplier

You can say that you're wrong, for starters. That's like the most generic thing on there!

Back & Forth? A Life of Possibilities? Sentimental Man? Time Bomb? Face of the Earth? Spider in the Snow? The City? Gyroscope? You Are Invited? Ellen & Ben?

Sigh.
Old 04-04-2008, 01:40 AM   #14
Blue Crack Addict

The only song I've heard by them is The Ice Of Boston.
Old 04-04-2008, 03:39 AM   #15
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
You can say that you're wrong, for starters. That's like the most generic thing on there!

Back & Forth? A Life of Possibilities? Sentimental Man? Time Bomb? Face of the Earth? Spider in the Snow? The City? Gyroscope? You Are Invited? Ellen & Ben?

Sigh.
Yeah, I just don't hear what so many others seem to hear. Dunno what it is, really.

Tags
davey von bohlen, dismemberment plan, eric alexson, maritime, the promise ring