Dismemberment Plan & spinoffs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm not listening to anymore songs now. I'll be seeing them for the second time (crazy!) in just 5 days :hyper:

Setlist from today's show that I attended, new tracks denoted by asterisk:

The City
Girl O' Clock
You Are Invited
White Collar White Trash*
Gyroscope
Daddy Was A Real Good Dancer*
Do the Standing Still
Invisible*
Time Bomb
Waiting*
Following Through
Mexico City Christmas*
The Ice of Boston
What Do You Want Me to Say?

I don't need to mention that I loved the show. What you're probably more curious about are the new songs. They played five new ones; the best is still Invisible, which slid perfectly into Time Bomb. Unbelievable run. Y'all already know Waiting. White Collar White Trash is more like atonal, like early D-Plan, but with beats. Tough to describe. It's a very stiff track that functions as a rocker but in a less traditional way. Mexico City Christmas has a galloping beat that gave me Knights of Cydonia vibes. Daddy Was a Real Good Dancer required that Travis sit down at the keyboard and plunk out chords. It had a McCartney-esque feel, very much a singalong track. Not a lot of substance there but the melody was nice. Waiting came across well live, but it's probably my least favorite of the five. Uncanney Valley is going to be a stylistic mess, but hopefully it works out regardless.

In other news, Gyroscope is quickly becoming an all-time favorite for me after initially overlooking it. Right here is the best stanza, like ever:

Happiness is such hard work
And it gets harder every day
And it can kill you
But no one wants to be that tacky about it
If you spin fast enough then maybe the broken pieces of your heart will stay together
But some things I've seen lately make me doubt it

tumblr_mtdzi2BgIf1qzrrsgo1_1280.png

That's fantastic.

Also, I loved all of the new tracks live, just fwiw. They were fantastic in that setting.

I saw them at Coachella. The organizers fucked them over. They were playing at like 1am on the third biggest stage with a tiny crowd and were drowned out by Nas.

Wow, like no one wanted to talk about Uncanny Valley, at all.

I've probably enjoyed it more in 2014 than I did in 2013. I admittedly was fairly disappointed in it at release. Now that I know what to expect, I enjoy it every time I listen to it. Still doesn't come close to Change or Emergency & I, but it was probably unrealistic to have expected that.

Back
Top Bottom