Dirty Projectors - Bitte Orca

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

onebloodonelife

Blue Crack Addict
3316941931_fe07a78a34.jpg

Okay, I've been listening to this album for a couple of months now, since it leaked, and it's amazing. Gorgeous, pop songs, yet still fairly complicated, like their earlier work.

It also just got the "Best New Music" tag on Pitchfork. Here's the review: Pitchfork: Dirty Projectors: Bitte Orca

You all should check it out. :up:

Checking it out ASAP. :up: A 9.2 from Pitchfork is worth checking out for the lol potential alone if it's a disaster.

Checking it out ASAP. :up: A 9.2 from Pitchfork is worth checking out for the lol potential alone if it's a disaster.

:lol:

This time they've hit it on the mark. When I first downloaded the album, I was literally finishing it and putting it right back on for several days. The opening chords are just brilliant and sunny, and from there on, it flows wonderfully. :drool:

I really like that album cover.

:up: It is a nice cover!

I really loved their version of 'Rise Above' from their Black Flag cover album that came out a few years ago. REALLY liked. As in, it was one of my most listened to songs of the year when it came out. I have still yet to actually find that album in a store though, so I never picked it up. :angry:

Their cover of Bjork's Hyperballad is enjoyable as well.

I've only heard their song on Dark Was The Night, didn't like it. I won't write them off just for that, but damn that seems like a vapid, indie-hipster title. German for 'Please, Orca'

Am I a bad hipster for not liking this album? I don't care for Longstreth's voice. The girls should sing more. The girls should sing every song, actually. "Stillness" is a cool song and "Two Doves" is pretty, but I don't like much else.

whitneylive.jpg

Even for me, that's a little much.

No, it makes you a hipster who discerns things for himself, instead of moving along with the indie flock. By all means, have your own opinion.

If I wasn't rocking out to Bloc Party at the moment I'd check out that single... later on.

Listening now. It's walking a razor's edge between irritating and awesome. Wish there were more melodies at play here and less avant-garde whatthefuckery.

Apparently I have more tolerance for weird voices. :lol: I also don't have an issue with Passion Pit's singer...anyway, yeah, his voice can be grating.

No, it makes you a hipster who discerns things for himself, instead of moving along with the indie flock. By all means, have your own opinion.

I was completely being sarcastic. If anything, this is a nice case to set a precedent: Impy doesn't automatically dig 9+ P4K stuff.

Listening now. It's walking a razor's edge between irritating and awesome. Wish there were more melodies at play here and less avant-garde whatthefuckery.

I didn't find anything avant-garde in this album whatsoever.

Apparently I have more tolerance for weird voices. :lol: I also don't have an issue with Passion Pit's singer...anyway, yeah, his voice can be grating.

Angelakos' voice suits the Passionate Pits well. Like you, I have a very high tolerance for weird, quirky voices. I just find this cat particularly uninspired. I don't think his voice is weird or quirky. It just sucks. If you want to talk "goofy" vocals, that Tallest Man on Earth album from last year kicks the shit out of this.

Still, an excellent album cover.

I was completely being sarcastic. If anything, this is a nice case to set a precedent: Impy doesn't automatically dig 9+ P4K stuff.

:lol:

In all fairness, I've also had this album for months...way before the Pitchfork review came out, although I did have suspicions that they'd rate it very highly.

I didn't find anything avant-garde in this album whatsoever.

I'd call it avant-pop, if anything, just because they're doing experimental stuff in the realm of pop music.

Angelakos' voice suits the Passionate Pits well. Like you, I have a very high tolerance for weird, quirky voices. I just find this cat particularly uninspired. I don't think his voice is weird or quirky. It just sucks. If you want to talk "goofy" vocals, that Tallest Man on Earth album from last year kicks the shit out of this.

Still, an excellent album cover.

Agreed. That's why I take some issue with people's complaints about Passion Pit, all of which seem to revolve around problems with his voice. You're definitely not the only one who thinks he sounds uninspired either; it's been a complaint about most of their stuff, and I have a feeling it stems from the fact that he's classically trained and has been more focused on the compositions rather than singing ability. Not that that's an excuse. I do agree that the girls should sing more. They have much better voices than Longstreth.

I'd call it avant-pop, if anything, just because they're doing experimental stuff in the realm of pop music.

Well put. Obviously, they're not utilizing homemade oscillators while yodeling into a tin can, but there are some abstract elements to the album. Perhaps a few too many for my taste, as I mentioned earlier, but I did begin to enjoy the album a bit more after I posted that. I'll give it a couple more chances: it could be a grower.

Well put. Obviously, they're not utilizing homemade oscillators while yodeling into a tin can, but there are some abstract elements to the album. Perhaps a few too many for my taste, as I mentioned earlier, but I did begin to enjoy the album a bit more after I posted that. I'll give it a couple more chances: it could be a grower.

:up:

One thing I've noticed as I keep listening is how much the girls contribute to the background. A huge portion of the backing music is just them singing.

Agreed. That's why I take some issue with people's complaints about Passion Pit, all of which seem to revolve around problems with his voice. You're definitely not the only one who thinks he sounds uninspired either; it's been a complaint about most of their stuff, and I have a feeling it stems from the fact that he's classically trained and has been more focused on the compositions rather than singing ability. Not that that's an excuse. I do agree that the girls should sing more. They have much better voices than Longstreth.

Interestingly, when I heard the new single I kept thinking "why isn't the dude singing, he's fantastic?". We all like different stuff I guess. Seriously though, people, please listen to their cover of 'Rise Above' and tell me his voice isn't amazing on that song.

Overall, I'd say singing and vocals are the absolutely least important part of music for me. It's why things like American Idol make me want to die. singers are a a dime a dozen, and I generally have absolutely no interest in them unless there's something quirky about their voice or subject matter. I seem to always find that the artists I do love for their voices (Will Sheff, Zach Condon, Morrissey, etc), many other people seem to think suck at singing. :shrug:

I don't hate his voice or anything, but the girls are better technical singers, in my opinion. Plus, like I said, they are on nearly every song, and fairly prominently, if you're listening to the wall of sound backing the main melody.

I :heart: Sheff's voice too, though I'm sure you already knew that. :wink: He's another one who isn't a great technical singer; he's flat a lot of the time, but the emotion in his voice makes up for all of that and more.

Bought Bitte Orca on vinyl today. :drool: Can't wait until I get a chance to listen to it when I go home for a visit.

I seem to always find that the artists I do love for their voices (Will Sheff, Zach Condon, Morrissey, etc), many other people seem to think suck at singing. :shrug:

Moz is a tremendous vocalist - it is difficult for me to understand anyone disliking him based on that account alone.

Bitte Orca is receiving astoundingly positive reviews. The Onion claimed - brace yourselves for this one - that it might even be better than Merriweather Post Pavilion. I definitely need to look into it.

The guy's vocals at times remind me of Craig Wedren from Shudder to Think. Which I love, but I can understand how it would be off-putting to some people.

See, I still don't care for the vocals. Very uninspired. But I've grown quite fond of the compositions and/or Amber Coffman.

"Cannibal Resource" was playing when I met Annie Clark and she was kind of singing it to herself. This may or may not affect why I'm warming to the album.

But seriously. Amber Coffman's fucking hot.

She's in LA. You tell me.

And I've handed out my share of, uh, "septic tank pokes" this year. Time for a break and/or a rise in standards.

2478459602_cd8715d600.jpg

Stillness may indeed be the move, but she's in for a rude awakening when she realizes it's not the move I'm using.

Back
Top Bottom