Dirty Projectors - Bitte Orca

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
NSW, I suggest going back and reading earlier posts defending the group and continued listens of the album. A lot of people came around after giving it a few chances, Imperor up there included.

It's true. Something about it might not immediately click those first handful of listens. Now it's a top-fiver on the year and I've come to enjoy previous albums Rise Above and The Getty Address. Figuring out the girls are cute may or may not have had something to do with it.

A few more listens just might make your Temecula sun rise, if you get my meaning.

Black Flag aren't really my thing, so maybe staying away from the source material is a wise decision.

It's awesome just to hear how different DP's covers are.

That said, I love punk and hardcore, don't really care for Black Flag.

It's true. Something about it might not immediately click those first handful of listens. Now it's a top-fiver on the year and I've come to enjoy previous albums Rise Above and The Getty Address. Figuring out the girls are cute may or may not have had something to do with it.

This is an honest question: why is it that I can listen to a band with a male vocalist and not automatically think about whether or not he's cute, but most (not all, but most) guys' thoughts about a female vocalist go straight to if she's good-looking. Probably something that has been pondered for many years before, but I'm still curious.

This is an honest question: why is it that I can listen to a band with a male vocalist and not automatically think about whether or not he's cute, but most (not all, but most) guys' thoughts about a female vocalist go straight to if she's good-looking. Probably something that has been pondered for many years before, but I'm still curious.

Do not lump me in on this, please. I truly don't give a shit about what a singer looks like.

I might be guilty of thinking an actress is better than another cos her looks somehow work their way into the equation, but with music I honestly could not care less.

Do not lump me in on this, please. I truly don't give a shit about what a singer looks like.

I might be guilty of thinking an actress is better than another cos her looks somehow work their way into the equation, but with music I honestly could not care less.

I'm not, hence the most, plus you commented earlier about not thinking the girls are cute.

Honestly, I play up a lot of my thinking singers are cute. At the end of the day, it's really about the music. Amy Winehouse is a good example, as I still to this day love Back to Black despite the fact that she wasn't a remotely good looking woman even before she got even more drugged out. Amy Millan, Joni Mitchell, and the girl from Shearwater aren't attractive, but their tunes are still nice.

It's really just a nice bonus. The tunes are the most important thing, but I'm never going to stop swooning if I find them cute.

Honestly, I play up a lot of my thinking singers are cute. At the end of the day, it's really about the music. Amy Winehouse is a good example, as I still to this day love Back to Black despite the fact that she wasn't a remotely good looking woman even before she got even more drugged out. Amy Millan, Joni Mitchell, and the girl from Shearwater aren't attractive, but their tunes are still nice.

It's really just a nice bonus. The tunes are the most important thing, but I'm never going to stop swooning if I find them cute.

Ah, okay. I was just going to say that after hearing the music, if I find out a male singer is good-looking, it's nice and a plus, but secondary to the music.

Absolutely. I had no real clue what Amber and Angel looked like before I heard this album, save for the artwork (which doesn't tell that much anyway). It's not like I saw a photo of THE COFF! and decided to like the album. I liked it because it grew on me.

Then I did see the photos and liked it even more.

Well shit, I'd be lying if I did not deem it to be a bonus.

Ha, well, yeah, I don't know who wouldn't think it was a bonus.

Absolutely. I had no real clue what Amber and Angel looked like before I heard this album, save for the artwork (which doesn't tell that much anyway). It's not like I saw a photo of THE COFF! and decided to like the album. I liked it because it grew on me.

Then I did see the photos and liked it even more.

I can appreciate that.

Iron Sheff is a good looking dude, which you may or may not have known before you liked the band. I know you well enough to know that it wouldn't impact how much you like their music, but it can't be anything but gravy once you already are a fan.

Another example that just dawned on me: I have no idea what the girl from The Dø's name is or what she looks like, but still immensely enjoy the album.

Iron Sheff is a good looking dude, which you may or may not have known before you liked the band. I know you well enough to know that it wouldn't impact how much you like their music, but it can't be anything but gravy once you already are a fan.

Another example that just dawned on me: I have no idea what the girl from The Dø's name is or what she looks like, but still immensely enjoy the album.

Sheff's an odd looking fellow. Cute, but odd. And, yes, it is certainly gravy at that point.

If anyone came up to me and honestly said that the only reason he/she liked a band was because of how good-looking a member was, I'd probably commit some act of violence. I was mostly curious how much stock you guys put in it, since it tends to come up quite a bit.

Well, I can safely say I've never got into an artist solely because I thought she was good looking. More often than not, I don't have much of a clue what the ladies look like until after there have been a few listens. Believe it or not, them's the breaks.

Seriously, though, if I ever get too PHABH for anyone's tastes, let me know. Not posting crotch shots probably keeps me out of that mold, but still.

I agree as well. I've always listened to more female-fronted stuff than my friends, and most of the time wasn't aware of the band's appearance beforehand. It's obviously harder to avoid that these days, but still.

Plus, don't I get credit for liking some Indigo Girls and K.D. Lang stuff?

There are very, very few female musicians I find especially attractive. There are some cute indie chicks out there, but very few I would consider gorgeous, or totally fucking hot. And even if I did, I wouldn't be able to leer at them while listening to the record, so it honestly has no affect on me either way in the long run.

That said, I've always had a thing for Bilinda Butcher. And her guitar makes some pretty great sounds. :shifty:

It may be even lower than you think.

RuPaul_fl.jpg

Back
Top Bottom