Dirty Projectors - Bitte Orca

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I still can't comprehend anyone not liking his voice, he's a fantastic singer.

Man, overnight this is vaulting its way up my Best Of list for this year.

I'm completely overwhelmed.

No Intention? :hyper:

Useful Chamber? :drool:

Stillness is the Move? :applaud:

Cannibal Resource? :bow:

I'm glad I gave it another try (and many, many spins after that), resulting in the 180 I posted about yesterday. I didn't want to like it, but now I'm going to wind up going to get the LP here in a few. Funny the way things work.

Funny how some things take a few spins, or even a huge number of spins, before you finally get into it. Iz craaaaaazaaay.

Nice avatar / location combo there, Imperor.

Nice avatar / location combo there, Imperor.

I didn't even realize you had a THE GRIZ! location yrself. Well done. I figured at this point anyone I actually care about on here knows where I live. Might as well have some fun with the locale.

Glad I'm not the only one liking it that much, Laz. :hi5:

I really enjoy this album as well. I would likely place it in my top three of the year thus far - I love the eclectic feel, and it seems never to overreach its boundaries. That type of tasteful restraint is lacking in a lot of the indie music I have heard this year.

Glad I'm not the only one liking it that much, Laz. :hi5:

:up: Definitely glad that more of you guys have come around to it.

I'm glad I gave it another try (and many, many spins after that), resulting in the 180 I posted about yesterday. I didn't want to like it, but now I'm going to wind up going to get the LP here in a few. Funny the way things work.

:tsk: Bout damn time. The LP's awesome, btw. Blast that in the morning, and you're guaranteed a great day.

If you take home Amber, I'll be half pissed and half pleased.

Had some friends over tonight and put Bitte Orca on. Background music to them, I guess. They enjoyed Wolfgang much more. I throw admittedly terrible get togethers because most of the people I know wonder why there isn't any T.I. playing.

Gave it another chance today in a completely new context (a - shockingly enough - sunny tour of Dublin) and it still doesn't do a whole lot for me. Each of the 9 songs has something great contained within it, a combined minute or so of strong harmonies or, say, a dazzling guitar line. However, nearly every song is at some point overwhelmed by superfluous nonsense, paint splattered on the canvas at random, adding nothing but excess decibels to the mix. Seriously, fucking nothing else. It just distracts (and detracts) from the song, rather than adding anything, which is apparently the only function the band knows how to perform in the recording studio. It's as if they wrote a couple dozen really simplistic songs, threw a bunch of shit over the top until they became unrecognizable, and cut the result into 9 tracks. This most certainly qualifies as songwriting, but it's incredibly indulgent.

In short, has its moments, but I'll pass. So far, 2009 is owned by THE GRIZ.

If you take home Amber, I'll be half pissed and half pleased.

Had some friends over tonight and put Bitte Orca on. Background music to them, I guess. They enjoyed Wolfgang much more. I throw admittedly terrible get togethers because most of the people I know wonder why there isn't any T.I. playing.

You invited ALL of my friends!

I listened to this on the way back from the beach today and goddamn if it wasn't a sweet album all the way through.

Wolfie's got higher highs, but I enjoyed this all the way through.

In short, has its moments, but I'll pass. So far, 2009 is owned by THE GRIZ.

I agree with you in this respect. Veckatimest is the finest album I have yet heard this year. It allows the songcraft to work on its own merits; this in my opinion is its primary advantage over something like Merriweather, which, although just as strong in terms of songwriting, is overwrought and overambitious in many places. The sheer amount of sonic elements in many Animal Collective songs distracts from the core, which is something that Veckatimest and Bitte Orca - for the most part - avoid. Of course this is all just my opinion.

This album is still awful, people. Same old, from Longstreth--too terrified of not being different enough to be listenable. I cannot put into words how boring I think this is. Even worse than Rise Above (which sounded great, on paper, but like pure shit, on headphones). Sorry, but I just don't hear anything worthwhile.

It's not his voice, either (for me). It's his delivery. Yeesh. I will try to give it another spin, at some point, but I just don't think this one's going to happen. Here's to being happily wrong, though! I'd love to love another album, because my 2009's been pretty slow, after a stunning 2008.

I'm liking this Iron Yuppie cat more and more each day.

It's not his voice, either (for me). It's his delivery.

See, I still don't care for the vocals. Very uninspired. But I've grown quite fond of the compositions and/or Amber Coffman.

As previously stated, that's my problem too. While I've admitted that I do considerably enjoy the album now, I don't think I'm going to find myself completely in love with it because of his voice. There's plenty to like here, plenty that makes it a worthwhile album. Some parts I like more than others. But I have determined it's quite solid, although a 9.2 is still ludicrous. I'd go mid to high 7s, if I were inclined to go numerical.

It still doesn't sniff MPP, as far as I'm concerned.

1) Future of the Left: Travels With Myself and Another
2) Lotus Plaza: The Floodlight Collective
3) Animal Collective: Merriweather Post Pavilion
4) Super Furry Animals: Dark Days/Light Years
5) Too many to bother breaking it all down, yet.

EDIT: ∞) Dirty Projectors: Bitte, Turn This Off

1) Future of the Left: Travels With Myself and Another
2) Lotus Plaza: The Floodlight Collective
3) Animal Collective: Merriweather Post Pavilion
4) Super Furry Animals: Dark Days/Light Years
5) Too many to bother breaking it all down, yet.

Interesting list - I'll have to try Future of the Left.

My top five would probably look something like this:

1 Grizzly Bear: Veckatimest
2 Bat for Lashes: Two Suns
3-5, in no particular order
Depeche Mode: Sounds of the Universe
Dirty Projectors: Bitte Orca
Antony & The Johnsons: The Crying Light

It's interesting to see this album still be so polarizing; it's definitely in my top 5 for the year so far. I've got no real issues with his voice. Yes, I can see where it's grating and difficult, but I can manage, and it's grown on me considerably.

If it wasn't for his voice and singing ability, I'd have next to no interest in this album. :shrug:

I find myself guilty of this from time to time as well, but it's always funny to me how when we don't like something that other people do, we always seem to blame it on the music and act as if there's something inherently wrong with it and that anyone who does like it is wrong. Maybe that's just how I'm interpreting it, but I've seen a whole lot of that in this thread.

gallery_enlarged-bonnaroo0996.jpg

Waka waka.

Your support of copyright infringement helped remove that video, 1bl00d.

:tsk:

Got a ticket to see them in 12 days. Let the seduction of Amber Coffman begin.

Back
Top Bottom