Dirty Projectors - Bitte Orca - Page 10 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Just the Bang and the Clatter
Click Here to Login

Old 09-09-2009, 11:02 PM   #136
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 08:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by onebloodonelife View Post
I'm not, hence the most, plus you commented earlier about not thinking the girls are cute.
Better safe than sorry.

Old 09-09-2009, 11:06 PM   #137
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 05:22 PM
Quote:
This is an honest question: why is it that I can listen to a band with a male vocalist and not automatically think about whether or not he's cute, but most (not all, but most) guys' thoughts about a female vocalist go straight to if she's good-looking. Probably something that has been pondered for many years before, but I'm still curious.
Honestly, I play up a lot of my thinking singers are cute. At the end of the day, it's really about the music. Amy Winehouse is a good example, as I still to this day love Back to Black despite the fact that she wasn't a remotely good looking woman even before she got even more drugged out. Amy Millan, Joni Mitchell, and the girl from Shearwater aren't attractive, but their tunes are still nice.

It's really just a nice bonus. The tunes are the most important thing, but I'm never going to stop swooning if I find them cute.

Old 09-09-2009, 11:10 PM   #138
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 11:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by impy13 View Post
Honestly, I play up a lot of my thinking singers are cute. At the end of the day, it's really about the music. Amy Winehouse is a good example, as I still to this day love Back to Black despite the fact that she wasn't a remotely good looking woman even before she got even more drugged out. Amy Millan, Joni Mitchell, and the girl from Shearwater aren't attractive, but their tunes are still nice.

It's really just a nice bonus. The tunes are the most important thing, but I'm never going to stop swooning if I find them cute.
Ah, okay. I was just going to say that after hearing the music, if I find out a male singer is good-looking, it's nice and a plus, but secondary to the music.
Old 09-09-2009, 11:11 PM   #139
Blue Crack Supplier

Well shit, I'd be lying if I did not deem it to be a bonus.
Old 09-09-2009, 11:11 PM   #140
ONE
love, blood, life

Absolutely. I had no real clue what Amber and Angel looked like before I heard this album, save for the artwork (which doesn't tell that much anyway). It's not like I saw a photo of THE COFF! and decided to like the album. I liked it because it grew on me.

Then I did see the photos and liked it even more.
Old 09-09-2009, 11:15 PM   #141
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by No spoken words View Post
Well shit, I'd be lying if I did not deem it to be a bonus.
Ha, well, yeah, I don't know who wouldn't think it was a bonus.

Quote:
Absolutely. I had no real clue what Amber and Angel looked like before I heard this album, save for the artwork (which doesn't tell that much anyway). It's not like I saw a photo of THE COFF! and decided to like the album. I liked it because it grew on me.

Then I did see the photos and liked it even more.
I can appreciate that.
Old 09-09-2009, 11:18 PM   #142
ONE
love, blood, life

Iron Sheff is a good looking dude, which you may or may not have known before you liked the band. I know you well enough to know that it wouldn't impact how much you like their music, but it can't be anything but gravy once you already are a fan.

Another example that just dawned on me: I have no idea what the girl from The Dø's name is or what she looks like, but still immensely enjoy the album.
Old 09-09-2009, 11:24 PM   #143
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Iron Sheff is a good looking dude, which you may or may not have known before you liked the band. I know you well enough to know that it wouldn't impact how much you like their music, but it can't be anything but gravy once you already are a fan.

Another example that just dawned on me: I have no idea what the girl from The Dø's name is or what she looks like, but still immensely enjoy the album.
Sheff's an odd looking fellow. Cute, but odd. And, yes, it is certainly gravy at that point.

If anyone came up to me and honestly said that the only reason he/she liked a band was because of how good-looking a member was, I'd probably commit some act of violence. I was mostly curious how much stock you guys put in it, since it tends to come up quite a bit.
Old 09-09-2009, 11:25 PM   #144
ONE
love, blood, life

Well, I can safely say I've never got into an artist solely because I thought she was good looking. More often than not, I don't have much of a clue what the ladies look like until after there have been a few listens. Believe it or not, them's the breaks.

Seriously, though, if I ever get too PHABH for anyone's tastes, let me know. Not posting crotch shots probably keeps me out of that mold, but still.
Old 09-10-2009, 01:08 AM   #145
Blue Crack Supplier

I agree as well. I've always listened to more female-fronted stuff than my friends, and most of the time wasn't aware of the band's appearance beforehand. It's obviously harder to avoid that these days, but still.

Plus, don't I get credit for liking some Indigo Girls and K.D. Lang stuff?
Old 09-10-2009, 01:33 AM   #146
The Male

Quote:
This is an honest question: why is it that I can listen to a band with a male vocalist and not automatically think about whether or not he's cute, but most (not all, but most) guys' thoughts about a female vocalist go straight to if she's good-looking. Probably something that has been pondered for many years before, but I'm still curious.
There are very, very few female musicians I find especially attractive. There are some cute indie chicks out there, but very few I would consider gorgeous, or totally fucking hot. And even if I did, I wouldn't be able to leer at them while listening to the record, so it honestly has no affect on me either way in the long run.

That said, I've always had a thing for Bilinda Butcher. And her guitar makes some pretty great sounds.

Now.
LemonMelon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 01:43 AM   #147
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 10:22 PM
Interesting conversation going on here in this thread.
Old 09-10-2009, 01:50 AM   #148
Blue Crack Supplier

Now that I'm thinking about it, the # of female singers who I legitimately find to be really attractive is rather low.
Old 09-10-2009, 01:53 AM   #149
Blue Crack Supplier

It may be even lower than you think.

Old 09-10-2009, 01:56 AM   #150
Blue Crack Supplier

I used Susan Boyle photo last week so that's not an option.

Tags
dirty projectors