Dig, Lazarus Dig!! - Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

UnforgettableLemon

Rock n' Roll Doggie ALL ACCESS
Anybody else really f%&ing excited about this? I have to say I'm really jealous - the rest of the world is getting this on March 4. April 8 in the U.S. The single is pretty awesome, it's just got a great swagger. And after Abbatoir Blues/Lyre of Orpheus and Grinderman, I have really high expectations for the album. Early indications suggest I won't be disappointed.

:yippie: Yay! Someone here is just as excited about this as I am!

I can't wait to get my hands on a copy ... I STILL haven't heard the new single as yet (shame!) but my sis assures me that it is very, very good :D

I LOVED the Grinderman CD .. and being able to see them in concert late last year was a huge highlight for me. Can't wait to see the Bad Seeds once again .. just awesome :D

Enjoy! :up:

I got the album yesterday and played it once so far; I think it needs more listens to sink in. I confess I'm not the biggest fan of Nick's Grinderman project, which also influences the new album a lot. I like it, and the band obviously have tons of fun with this new sound, but I can't help thinking that it's somewhat throwaway coming after the ambition and scope of "Abbatoir Blues/Lyre of Orpheus".

But there's absolutely no doubt that *no one* out there writes lyrics like Nick Cave, :bow:

Okay, so having had the album for a few weeks now, I'd put it right up there as one of my favorite Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds albums. I definitely think it's the most consistent release they've had, possibly ever. As much as I love (and still prefer) Abattoir Blues/Lyre of Orpheus, there are spots where I get a little bored. Definitely not the case here. While some tracks do weigh the album down during the second half, it's got some killers.

My faves:
1. Today's Lesson
2. More News From Nowhere
3. We Call Upon the Author
4. Dig, Lazarus Dig!!
5. Night of the Lotus Eaters

Yeah, I can't wait to pick this up. I've been tempted to torrent it, but I'm going to hold steady on this one...just a little while longer. :drool:

Also, I'm working a 3-4 disc comprehensive Nick Cave mix. The only problem is that I can't really decide what approach to take.

1) 3 discs, no Grinderman, no Birthday Party, Nick solo mixed in. I have tracklists prepared for this. Chronologically grouped discs, but arranged for listening pleasure within groupings.
2) 4 discs, Grinderman, Birthday Party, Nick solo mixed in. Again, chronologically grouped discs, but arranged for listening pleasure within groupings.
3) 4 discs - 3 for Nick and the Bad Seeds, chronologically-but-sequenced like the other two. Fourth disc devoted to Birthday Party, Grinderman, and solo.

martha said:
I should probably get Grinderman, huh.

I would listen to it first. I love it, but some people aren't too keen on it. It's raw with a capital R-A-W. Lots of energy that just builds without release, but some of the best pure rock songs Nick and company have ever done. Honey Bee (Let's Fly to Mars) is just FRANTIC. And of course No Pussy Blues is hysterical.

Typing up the tracklisting now. I tend to favor the second half of Nick's career, but I tried to represent everything pretty reasonably.

Nick Cave Anthology

This is my brand spanking new going-to-stay-in-the-car Nick Cave Anthology. If I were really ambitious, I would try to go for some themed discs or something, but I really just wanted to compile Nick's career. I decided on integrating everything in the end, just so that chronology would stay (reasonably) intact, even though I sequenced the songs within each quasi-era.

Disc One: Weeping Songs
The Mercy Seat
Release the Bats [The Birthday Party]
Deanna
In the Ghetto
Stranger Than Kindness
Straight To You
The Train Song
Happy Birthday [The Birthday Party]
Tupelo
Big - Jesus - Trash - Can [The Birthday Party]
The Six Strings That Drew Blood
From Her To Eternity
The Weeping Song
City Of Refuge (acoustic)
The Ship Song
Nick the Stripper [The Birthday Party]
(I'll Love You) Till The End Of The World
The Carny

Disc Two: People Ain't No Good
Red Right Hand
Opium Tea
Henry Lee
(Are You) The One That I've Been Waiting For?
Jack The Ripper (acoustic)
Mack The Knife [solo]
Nobody's Baby Now
Stagger Lee
What A Wonderful World (with Shane MacGowan)
There Is A Light [solo]
Do You Love Me?
I Had a Dream, Joe
People Ain't No Good
Where The Wild Roses Grow (w/ Kylie Minogue)
Loverman
Rainy Night In Soho
Let it Be
Into My Arms

Disc Three: Get Ready for Love
As I Sat Sadly By Her Side
Nature Boy
Bring It On
Hallelujah
Rock Of Gibraltar
Fifteen Feet Of Pure White Snow
There She Goes, My Beautiful World
He Wants You
Love Letter
Get Ready For Love
Cindy [Johnny Cash featuring Nick Cave]
Let The Bells Ring
Darker With The Day
Babe, I'm On Fire

Disc Four: More News From Nowhere
No Pussy Blues [Grinderman]
Today's Lesson
The Lyre Of Orpheus
Fire Down Below [solo]
Suzanne (live)
Get It On [Grinderman]
Breathless
More News From Nowhere
I Don't Need You (To Set Me Free) [Grinderman]
Babe, You Turn Me On
We Call Upon The Author
Easy Money
Pinery Boy [solo]
Honey Bee (Let's Fly To Mars) [Grinderman]
The Rider Song [Nick Cave and Warren Ellis]
Dig, Lazarus, Dig!!!
God Is In the House (live)

Last edited:
Finally listening to this in its full glory.

Complete thoughts some time tomorrow.

I've had the album for about two weeks now but have only listened to it twice, because I have so little time. I cannot really give a real review. The Boatman's Call is my favourite Nick Cave album.

last unicorn said:
I've had the album for about two weeks now but have only listened to it twice, because I have so little time. I cannot really give a real review. The Boatman's Call is my favourite Nick Cave album.

I feel so dirty for admitting this, but I don't have any of the studio albums prior to No More Shall We Part . I've got that one and every album since, including Grinderman . I have the compilation of early works and the B-Sides set. I have about a dozen tracks from the early albums and The Birthday Party, but I still haven't gone back to pick up the full albums. Part of the problem is that I can't find any independent music stores here, I'm too lazy to buy them online, and no major retailers seem to carry ANY Bad Seeds back catalogue. I do really want to pick up The Boatman's Call and Murder Ballads at the very least, but it took me a very long time to get into the material between From Her to Eternity to Let Love In . I'm enjoying it more and more, though.

^ For me it's just the opposite. Boatman's Call, Nocturama and especially No More Shall We Part are beautiful albums. I'm trying to get into the earlier stuff right now.

last unicorn said:
^ For me it's just the opposite. Boatman's Call, Nocturama and especially No More Shall We Part are beautiful albums. I'm trying to get into the earlier stuff right now.

I don't love Nocturama so much, but I think otherwise we're on the same page - I love what I've heard of Boatman's Call, and No More Shall We Part is probably the most gorgeous thing that I own. I prefer Abattoir Blues/Lyre of Orpheus, though, and Dig, Lazarus, Dig!! is growing in stature every spin.

I'm so happy I loved this album before I read the reviews, because it seems like everyone is digging it. I haven't even seen a middling/unsure review yet.

First listen was pretty satisfying. Didn't blow me away, but I feel this will be a strong grower for sure. Nothing I've heard so far comes close to reaching the heights of Abattoir Blues yet though (still easily my favorite Cave album of the ones I've heard). There are only 2 cuts on that whole double-album that I don't really love, and even they are interesting enough thematically to warrant my listening to them every time. That rarely happens with a double-album like that.

As I am not in the know on this subject, I originally thought this thread was created to tell Lazarus that he should "dig" Nick Cave.......

Moonland
Lie Down Here (And Be My Girl)
and Midnight Man

are my favorites here so far. :drool:

Back
Top Bottom