Dig, Lazarus Dig!! - Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Just saw Nick Cave headline a show at the Hollywood Bowl with Spiritualized and Cat Power. All bands were great but I was really blown away by Cave, as I'm only familiar with his new album. So amazing. Guy totally left it all on stage, 110% performer.

Any suggestions as to what I should check out next? He's obviously got a long discography.

The easy suggestion is to start with The Best of Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds. It hits most of the most important high points up through The Boatman's Call, and though there are omissions such as "Stagger Lee" and "Loverman," it's quality. I think from there you could navigate his back catalogue based on what really stands out to you.

I would also recommend Abbatoir Blues/Lyre of Orpheus. It's epic, but lush and violent and beautiful - there aren't really words. Lyrically amazing, and musically somewhat different from so much of his catalogue. It can be an exhausting listen at first, but I've kind of started to treat each disc as its own album. You definitely need to hear "Hiding All Away," "There She Goes my Beautiful World," "Supernaturally," and "Breathless."

So yeah, I'd start with The Best of and Abbatoir Blues/Lyre of Orpheus. If you're compilation averse, go for Murder Ballads or The Boatman's Call. Maybe Tender Prey.

I don't do Best Ofs. Those are for people who aren't sure. I'm fucking sure.

I "located" The Boatman's Call last night, but the others shouldn't be hard to get. Thanks for the tips.

Also, Cave has got to be the coolest motherfucker in rock and roll. Really. What a stage presence. Him and Greg Dulli.

Let Love In is kickass, and that one features Loverman. Do You Love Me and Red Right Hand push it over the top.

I don't do Best Ofs. Those are for people who aren't sure. I'm fucking sure.

I "located" The Boatman's Call last night, but the others shouldn't be hard to get. Thanks for the tips.

Also, Cave has got to be the coolest motherfucker in rock and roll. Really. What a stage presence. Him and Greg Dulli.

Welcome to forever-ago, dipshit.

Let Love In is one of his best. Buy that next.

I'm making a mix cd for a friend in Texas.
These are the Nick cave songs I'm considering:
Dig Lazarus Dig
Supernaturally

I eliminated Get Ready for Love.

My favorite is Are You the One That I've Been Waiting For, but that may not work on the mix.

Just saw Nick Cave headline a show at the Hollywood Bowl with Spiritualized and Cat Power. All bands were great but I was really blown away by Cave, as I'm only familiar with his new album. So amazing. Guy totally left it all on stage, 110% performer.

:up: :hyper:

I just got my tickets yesterday for the Bad Seeds in Melbourne next January.. really excited :hyper:

So I've been working my way backward, and I'm really enjoying the double album Abattoir Blues/The Lyre of Orpheus, particularly the latter. As you said, Lance, this may not be very indicative of his work, but it's pretty amazing.

I also like Nocturama a lot, and need to give The Boatman's Call another listen.

So I've been working my way backward, and I'm really enjoying the double album Abattoir Blues/The Lyre of Orpheus, particularly the latter. As you said, Lance, this may not be very indicative of his work, but it's pretty amazing.

In the deeder.

The one I find myself going back to over and over as well. Really fantastic hodge-podge of stuff. And the whole thing is just so stuffed and bloated with material, I never leave unsatisfied.

As a poser, I'm not sure I'm qualified to comment further. :rolleyes:

I need to get Let Love In next, which everyone seems to be telling me is the best.

Anyone know why Mick Harvey left the band?? After what 20 odd years? The news is about two weeks old, but he just cites personal and professional reasons...but rumours circulate a reformation of The Birthday Party probably minus Cave?

Anyway who is looking forward to the remasters of the first 4 albums?:hyper:

Lastly if you discovered a girl who loved Nick Cave, would you marry her there and then.....obviouslybefore Nick Cave could steal her from you as he is the man:hmm:

YouTube - Breathless

One of the finest pop songs Nick and co have ever crafted...really I think that has been noted that Abattoir Blues and Lyre of Orpheus is some of the best work Nick has put out, just in it's sheer breadth of material and lusciousness...it overpowers my soul.

You know i've come to realise i'm pretty crap at describing how music makes me feel...I think it's pretty close to love, but I struggle, when someone asks me to comment on a specific piece that I hold dear to my heart, and all I can manage is 'I really like it'....but the feeling I get from listening to Nick Cave, The Wrens, Okkervil River and U2, isn't one of 'liking'. It's is so much more, but my inadequacy at expressing that prevents me having a meaningful discussion on it, so the best I can say is when I do love something, it overpowers the expressive part of my nature, it leaves me dumbfounded...It may be punch drunk love.

Well yeah anyway i'm going through a Nick Cave kick at the moment.

Tis just something i've seen rumoured on a few sites, as all i've heard officially from Mick Harvey is that he is working on 'other projects'.

How have I ignored this man, this Warracknabeal native, for so long? This album is great. Abattoir Blues and Murder Ballads soon.

Does he sing much about Australia?

Don't forget the companion album to Abattoir Blues, The Lyre of Orpheus (which I prefer).

And I think that most would agree Let Love In should be a priority.

IMO, Let Love In should've happened first.

Not that I don't Dig Dig, but I've actually only heard it a couple of times (actually, come to think of it, I heard it first as well).

lazarus said:
And I think that most would agree Let Love In should be a priority.

I certainly would. I think it should be the introduction, personally; it's an excellent melding of his different styles into one coherent, badass package.

Hey, I wasn't aware there was a DVD/live CD set from the Abattoir Blues Tour.

Found it today at Amoeba, and with a coupon I had picked it up for just 12 bucks.

It has two DVDs with videotaped shows in 5.1 surround sound, (one is 76 min, the other 35), as well as two CDs of audio from different dates on the tour (each of those discs is about 45 min). In addition, there are also a bunch of music videos and some short film inspired by the double album.

Needless to say, I'm very excited to check this shit out.

Also picked up a used copy of Let Love In...for $5

WINNING.

Creepy, foggy nights are the best time to listen to Let Love In. Made for a great companion on my walk tonight.

Jangling Jack and Ain't Gonna Rain Anymore prevent it from being the perfect Nick Cave album. I didn't like the reiteration of Do You Love Me much at first, but it's grown on me substantially. A necessary twist on the bombastic first part. Probably my favorite album of his; certainly the one I listen to the most and most accessible in the sense that it sums up his career with economy.

What are your opinions on his first three records? I listened to Tender Prey fairly early and it was jarring at first but has grown on me a lot. Didn't go back any further at the time, but now I'm interested.

Back
Top Bottom