DeVotchKa

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Queen Bee

Blue Crack Addict
Please don't shoot him. He's just an intern.
Does anyone like them? They've recently gained some exposure with the release of Little Miss Sunshine, which features instrumental versions of songs off their 2004 album How It Ends as well as an original track for the movie, 'Til The End of Time.

I don't know where to begin describing them, so I'll steal the information about them at their Last.fm wiki page:

DeVotchKa is a self-described "eastern bloc indie rock band," combining elements of traditional Romani, Greek, Slavic, Bolero, and Mariachi music with indie rock. They take their name from Anthony Burgess' Nadsat word for "young girl," which is itself derived from the Russian word (девочка) of the same meaning. Based in Denver, Colorado, the quartet is made up of Nick Urata, who sings and plays theremin, guitar, bouzouki, piano, and trumpet; Tom Hagerman, who plays violin, accordion, and piano; Jeanie Schroder, who sings and plays sousaphone and double bass; and Shawn King, who plays percussion and trumpet.

I can't enough of them lately. They're amazing. How It Ends is quickly becoming one of my favorite albums of all-time :up:

Queen Bee said:
They're amazing. How It Ends is quickly becoming one of my favorite albums of all-time :up:

Come to South Florida, pls.

nickjeaniebuffalo.jpg

got_edge said:
I'd like to delve into this whole "Lunnaya Pogonka is my favorite song" business.

Nah, that infatuation was a fad. Great instrumental track, though. 'Til The End of Time and Curse Your Little Heart = 50 shades of awesome.

Speaking of which, the Curse Your Little Heart EP is heavenly :drool:

Queen Bee said:
Nah, that infatuation was a fad. Great instrumental track, though. 'Til The End of Time and Curse Your Little Heart = 50 shades of awesome.
I don't think 'Til The End of Time is that awesome. I'll take the whistling in The Enemy Guns over 'Til The End of Time.

I'll say it again: Andrew Bird and Nick Urata should work on an album together. 100% WHISTLING.

got_edge said:

I don't think 'Til The End of Time is that awesome. I'll take the whistling in The Enemy Guns over 'Til The End of Time.

I'll say it again: Andrew Bird and Nick Urata should work on an album together. 100% WHISTLING.

I don't know how I forgot The Enemy Guns :grumpy:

Some YouTubage because it's allll the rage with the cool kids: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rTW9Okg19iY

Queen Bee said:

Some YouTubage because it's allll the rage with the cool kids: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rTW9Okg19iY

:drool: :drool: :drool:

I had a couple of life-affirming realisations this week: One, my first-born child will be named Olive, regardless of whether it's male or female. Two, I have to hear more from the band that had me tapping my feet throughout the movie like I was at a concert.

I still haven't followed up on your recommendation, Queen Bee, but that might change tomorrow when I venture down to the record store.

They remind me of The Arcade Fire, in a very good way...like they could be their musical cousins, or something. :love:

angelordevil said:
I have to hear more from the band that had me tapping my feet throughout the movie like I was at a concert.

I still haven't followed up on your recommendation, Queen Bee, but that might change tomorrow when I venture down to the record store.
If you enjoyed the music in Little Miss Sunshine, you should definitely pick up How It Ends.

I'm drooling.

:drool: :drool:

I forked over a whopping 10 bucks to see them in a bar here a couple of weeks ago based on word of mouth buzz (I still haven't seen Little Miss Sunshine). They were excellent! I don't even know how to describe them. Ricky Ricardo meets Morrissey, lol? I had a blast, bought the new record, and am loving it.

:up:

I've heard "How it Ends" and their Velvet Underground cover "Venus in Furs" and both songs are excellent. Thinking of buying the Curse Your Little Heart ep. :love:

got_edge said:

Haha. Does he do that at every show? Wait, don't answer that. They're playing the Phoenix area on the 13th. Guess who can't go! :happy:

barlowdog said:
I've heard "How it Ends" and their Velvet Underground cover "Venus in Furs" and both songs are excellent. Thinking of buying the Curse Your Little Heart ep. :love:

Do it! Do it do it do it! You won't regret it. I'm in love with that EP :drool:

I suddenly feel a wave of DeVotchKa coming on...:drool: :drool: :drool:

My hike on Saturday morning will be brought to you by Tim Horton's coffee, and a whole lot of DeVotchKa. If I'm really feeling inspired, I might start pouring the coffee over my head :heart:

angelordevil said:
My hike on Saturday morning will be brought to you by Tim Horton's coffee, and a whole lot of DeVotchKa. If I'm really feeling inspired, I might start pouring the coffee over my head :heart:
I sure hope you order iced coffee. BOOSH!

barlowdog said:
Get Supermelodrama :up: :up:

Based on Queen Bee and Got_edge's advice, I'm buying some Devotchka music! and trusting in their good taste.

"Finally, after a few years, we can look forward to a proper album release from Denver based multi-instrumentalist four piece DeVotchka. Sure, the Curse Your Little Heart EP and Little Miss Sunshine soundtrack provided a nice little stopgap, it’s just that I couldn’t help but crave for more. They’re a band that commands attention, and though the Eastern European folk sound might not sound as original as before, the music itself is still as breathtaking as it’s ever been.

A few weeks ago, courtesy of the Stereogum Gum Drop thing, we got a small taste of what’s to come from DeVotchka’s upcoming LP, A Mad & Faithful Telling. A fantastic first single that flutters with strings galore, before kicking into another gear with the crashing of drums, guitars, and whatever other instruments you could possibly think of; because they use it all - violin, accordion, acoustic bass, sousaphone, theremin, piano - everything but the kitchen sink. Of course, one can never discuss DeVotchka without mentioning the impassioned vocals of Nick Urata, who’s throaty vibrato could easily bring a crowd to their knees.

The new album is due out March 18th
(Read: leaked) on Anti, and believe me, I have my calendar marked. I’m sure a proper tour will follow, though the days following the release sees the band touring overseas for the time being. Will be sure to report on any North American tour dates once they’re announced."

Click for tasty samplers

I'm drooling. Especially since new album = TOUR!!!!!

PM me for ~MORE INFO~ ....lol, OH WAIT. gotedge@gmail.com :nerd:

I bought How It Ends and I personally didn't like it. I love "How it Ends" and one another song from the C.D. Sorry, they just sound too unusual for me at times. :shrug: But I do like how they have great lyrics and they collabrate very well together. :)

Last edited:
So how's the new album, GE (or anyone else that knows)?

I'm extremely late to the party, but I just picked up How It Ends on Saturday, listened to it yesterday, and am completely hooked. It's sadly the first album in a long while where once I finished it I just wanted to immediately listen to it again. Great stuff. I'm surprised no one ever said "Hey, if you like Beirut you should check these guys out too". Why did no one say that to me?! WHY????!!!!!

:madwife:

So how's the new album, GE (or anyone else that knows)?

I'm extremely late to the party, but I just picked up How It Ends on Saturday, listened to it yesterday, and am completely hooked. It's sadly the first album in a long while where once I finished it I just wanted to immediately listen to it again. Great stuff. I'm surprised no one ever said "Hey, if you like Beirut you should check these guys out too". Why did no one say that to me?! WHY????!!!!!

:madwife:

I just assumed you were already a fan. :reject:

The Enemy Guns. :drool:

So I need some advice or support from other DeVotchKa fans. They're playing here on Wednesday, none of my friends seem interested in going, and I can't decide if I want to go solo or just not go.

What should I do? Go, not go? Will I be kicking myself in the pants if I don't go? Are they really as awesome live as everyone says? What sayest you?

Back
Top Bottom