DeVotchKa

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
So I need some advice or support from other DeVotchKa fans. They're playing here on Wednesday, none of my friends seem interested in going, and I can't decide if I want to go solo or just not go.

What should I do? Go, not go? Will I be kicking myself in the pants if I don't go? Are they really as awesome live as everyone says? What sayest you?

GOOO!!

They're really fun. I will buy a ticket today to see Andrew Bird by my lonesome self if you go see DeVotchka.

Devotchka-01-wide.jpg

I bought the "new" album last week just because of the show being this week, so I suppose I should listen to it and go to the concert. I'm weird about concerts. I'd rather go solo than take dates who don't know the band, as nothing is worse than going on a date to a concert where they don't enjoy the show and it ends up ruining it for you as well. That said, I've been to so many shows by myself over the last number of years, that I'm sick of going solo as well. :huh:

That said, I've been to so many shows by myself over the last number of years, that I'm sick of going solo as well. :huh:

I totally understand. :hug:

This is part of my Andrew Bird dilemma.

But when I went to see DeVotchka, a friend went with me and neither one of us had ever heard a record or even a song! This was even before we'd seen Little Miss Sunshine. But there was some buzz about them and because it was only like $10 or something at the Brewing Co., we decided to go and have a beer and check it out. We both loved them and bought records immediately. My friend even bought a goofyass DeVotchka wrist band that he pulls out now and then and pumps his fist in the air and does the white man dance which makes me fall on the floor laughing every time.

So, I'm saying...you could take a date and she might really like it. They're very entertaining, and you don't have to know the music to think so.

I didn't get back until it was late, and I figured if I wrote anything, I'd be up considerably later.

In short, it was great and I'm really glad you all talked me into going.

It ended up that Crooked Fingers were the opening band. I'd heard a bunch about them (from someone here I think, I'll have to search later), but I don't think I'd ever actually heard them. They were extremely good, I'll have to look into them at some point.

The volume on the guitar and mic were much too quiet for the first few songs for DeVotchKa. They slowly kept upping them, and around the 4th or 5th song, it sounded perfect. I'm glad they fixed the sound issues, as it surprisingly made the first few songs feel pretty weak and I was actually fairly unimpressed up front. Once everything was sorted out, they completely owned me, and I was hooked until the end.

I only have the two most recent albums, and only listened to Mad and Faithful for the first time yesterday, so I admittedly wasn't ultra familiar with a lot of what they played, but I still surprisingly recognized the vast majority of it. Queen of the Surface Streets was the first song that hooked me in (and I don't even own that album yet). It was followed by We're Leaving, which is one of my present faves. They surprisingly played 'How It Ends' fairly close to the beginning of the show. Maybe the 5th or 6th song, it sounded fantastic, and the whole place was completely eating it up. 26 Temptations was great, the instrumentals songs were great, and Enemy Guns rocked. They ended the main set with what is probably my favorite song of theirs, Such A Lovely Thing. it completely tore the roof off of the place, everyone was dancing. I was actually surprised how much the crowd WAS dancing to a band like this, pretty cool to see that kind of response to something that's not run of the mill rawk or dance music.

Is the "curtains dancer" a new thing? They had these 2 curtains put on the stage, a woman comes out in next to nothing and starts doing some dance with them. Then she starts climbing up the things and doing all sorts of awesome acrobatics to the music while hanging from the curtains. It was quite entertaining, everyone loved it.

It was a great show, they really are as entertaining live as everyone says they are. :up:

Yay, I'm glad you enjoyed it. I don't remember a curtains dancer. Was it a different woman than the one in the picture I posted above? She seems to always be doing something funny - a fruit basket on her head, etc.

She wasn't in the band, just came out and did that performance during one song and left.

Haha. I'm pretty sure it was planned, otherwise, why were those curtains there? She also came out and took a bow at the end.

Back
Top Bottom