Destroyer - Kaputt (AKA NSW: NEVAR Forget)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I recently got Streethawk. The Bad Arts is f*cking amazing. I don't like the album as much as Rubies and Kaputt but I still really enjoy it. Downloading This Night right now.

I think I'm starting to get a cobbleresque addiction of Destroyer.

You got the spirit, don't lose the feeling. :drool:

Your Blues tonight.

I have to admit I was largely bored by it. The MIDI sounds, and the acoustic guitar, for much of the album, just doesn't provide much to get excited about.

My favourite tracks were The Fox and the Hound and Certain Things You Oughta Know, because both were pretty successful in creating moods, I think. The former has this sort of dreaded marching quality to it and the latter combines synth blasts well with acoustic guitar. Reminds me a bit of The Bewlay Brothers.

It's Gonna Take An Aeroplane, An Actor's Revenge, Notorious Lightning and The Music Lovers were also good.

I want to ask - has anyone been able to make sense of any of Bejar's lyrics? I have not.

Anyone who wants to add their thoughts on Your Blues please do so!!!

And, officially, I have the most posts in this thread.

I agree on Your Blues. It's my least favorite Destroyer album, at least of what I've heard. It all feels kinda sterile to me. BUT, don't miss the Notorious Lightning And Other Works EP! Bejar retools songs off Your Blues, several with the amps and swagger cranked. "The Music Lovers" becomes epic. :drool: And cover art so ugly it's awesome. I'm still kicking myself for not buying the tour shirt with this art when I first saw them. :grumpy:

61HYTAX8MAL._SS500_.jpg

I'll definitely be checking it out, pretty sure I'm gonna be a completist for Destroyer. That's a cool shirt man, very jealous you got to see them as I don't think they'll ever come here!

Looks like Merge is releasing Destroyer's Rubies in a red vinyl double LP for RSD, including a new remixed track.

Yes please.

I've got my plane ticket to America booked just to buy that record :wink:

I'm listening to Rubies right now, in fact. I feel it too has become one of my all-time favourites. Incredible stuff.

Listening to the Rubies vinyl reissue. Fucking fuck yes. Great album, great sound, just a really wonderful experience all around.

Haven't gotten to the random 23 minute track yet, I'll report back.

OK, so it was basically a 23 minute ambient piece. Inessential, but pleasant. The worst thing is that it fit horribly; I wish it were on side 4 instead of side 3, but I mean, I just have to flip it around. Easy enough fix.

"Pleasant" is about as generous I'd be. It's not even Destroyer, really. Loscil is the pseudonym of Scott Morgan, who is an ambient/electronic producer - and drummer for Destroyer. I was kinda hoping it'd be like The Laziest River, which actually works after Bay of Pigs, but it doesn't match Rubies in the slightest.

I think, were we to do another "best albums" thing, I'd put both Rubies and Kaputt in my top 20. In all seriousness. I love them both so much.

In Painter in Your Pocket, I always thought that line was "...like a willow off the arm of yet another visionary / prophetess East Van. punk".

But the official lyrics say "profitous".

I'd whinge, but Bejar's lyrics never make much sense. "Inutterable" is not a word either.

Actually, it kinda makes more sense. "Prophetess" would imply the girl, the subject, is a lesbian.

I'm listening to Your Blues now... It's Gonna Take An Airplane is already a favourite of mine. The hooks in that song are so good. Sum-mery...

Listen to This Night. I've heard that one a few times and I still can't remember anything off of it. Except for the awesome title track.

You could say the same for Painter In Your Pocket. One of the best pop songs I've ever heard.

Anyway here's a ranking of the Destroyer albums I've heard so far.

Kaputt
Rubies (these two can switch around though, they're both near perfect)

Streethawk
Your Blues

This Night

Favourite songs: This Night, Rubies, European Oils, Painter In Your Pocket, Kaputt, Song For America, The Bad Arts, It's Gonna Take An Airplane, Streethawk l...

So you wanted to know how Destroyer was cobl? Amazing but too short. He only played for one hour and twenty minutes and the time just flew by.

He played most of the songs of Kaputt (I think 7) which was great. He also played a few older songs I didn't recognize but I liked them as well. There were eight people on stage including two horn players. They added a lot to the older songs., like European Oils (the awesome solo was played with a horn). Bejar didn't play any instruments so he could focus entirely on his singing which was almost perfect.

The highlight was probably Rubies. It was even better live especially when Bejar started shouting the lines: It is now and it is never! I got some major goosebumps. They ended with Bay of Pigs. It was great although they made a mistake. The synth that comes right after the lines As apocalypses go, that's pretty good. Sha-la-la, wouldn't you say, didn't come. Bejar laughed it off by saying: We almost got it! :lol: The crowd laughed as well. He just repeated those last lines and they continued and it was just as good as before that error.

The venue was nice as well. A tiny theater for about 200 people and the sound was perfect. I was standing less than two meters from Bejar.

One last thing. I finally bought some Destroyer CD's. They were selling most of his albums for €10 so I bought Kaputt and Thief. I hope it's as good as you say it is. It's a shame they only had Rubies as a double LP.

Ahhhhh man I'm so jealous. That sounds really amazing, just about everything I would want in a Destroyer gig. How was the crowd? I can imagine that guitar riff in Rubies taking off live.

I listened to Thief the other day actually. I've probably oversold it a bit. It's all a bit similar, very much in the light piano/acoustic mould, but it's still a good listen. Some great tracks like Destroyer's The Temple, To The Heart of the Sun..., Way of Perpetual Roads, Mercy.

The crowd was polite. Quiet during each song and loudly applauding between songs.

I think he played that first song you mentioned, something about a temple anyway. I haven't found a setlist yet online.

I'll probably never find a setlist so this is my guess. It's fairly accurate I think although the order won't be exactly correct.
EDIT: it's on setlist.fm now.

Your Blues
Savage Night at the Opera
European Oils
Downtown
Chinatown
Song I didn't recognize
Suicide Demo for Kara Walker
Maxine's Parlour (Bill Fray cover)
Blue Eyes
Kaputt
Libby's First Sunrise
Song I didn't recognize (I think they forgot this one)
Rubies

Destroyer's The Temple
Bay of Pigs

Doesn't he ever come to Australia?

Wow, that's pretty great. A lot of my fav tunes.

Nope. Wouldn't be cost-effective given how small the crowds would be I guess. My only hope is Harvest next year.

So Thief is amazing as well. It's definitely my number 3. The more random guitar breaks the better.

Back
Top Bottom