Destroyer - Kaputt (AKA NSW: NEVAR Forget)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ah, that Moggio guy. He's the one I mocked for saying Rush was factually better than U2, isn't he? I think I made his username into a unit of measure for how good music is.

No spoken words said:
It is truly beyond belief. COBL, forgot to say that your "fighting out of the blue corner" post was funny. Font and all.

Cheers. I was wondering if I'd taken it too far. It's made even funnier by the fact they've completely ignored us and kept on arguing.

PhilsFan said:
Ah, that Moggio guy. He's the one I mocked for saying Rush was factually better than U2, isn't he? I think I made his username into a unit of measure for how good music is.

Rush being 100 moggios?

They've been arguing over literally nothing for like 40 pages. Unbelievable.

hamster-wheel-race.jpg

I dunno if Cactus Annie is involved, but there will be more opportunities.

As for Destroyer, does anyone have any suggestions about where to go next in Mr. Behar's discography?

I've got most of his stuff, from Thief (2000) til now. Here are my impressions:

1) Nothing else sounds remotely like Kaputt. Be prepared for jangly, quirky guitar rock, except on Your Blues. On much of his stuff, the music is just as manic-sounding as his lyrics.

2) Don't miss Destroyer's Rubies. It is his masterwork, solid from top to bottom, musically and lyrically.

3) From there, I'd go with Streethawk: A Seduction and This Night, in that order. They are both strong, creative gems. After them, Trouble In Dreams requires some investment on the part of the listener but is still very much worth checking out; Thief and Your Blues are more spotty. Notorious Lightning is basically Your Blues material rehashed with a guitar-oriented touring band. I may actually prefer those versions...

I listen to all of these albums at least somewhat regularly, except for maybe Notorious Lightning, and don't regret buying any of them.

Thanks for the information. I am definitely going to explore his back catalogue in the near future.

Cobbler, you need to walk into a local record store and ask for an American music anthology.

That would be good. Shame it don't exist.

I think I figured out why I place Suicide Demo low (though I love it, been in my head all day, played it several times). It's because of the flutes, I think. They sound like something you'd play when you decide to take up a flute class primary school/high school. Bit generic.

Amazon has several Destroyer albums for $5 a piece in the MP3 store this month, for anyone who may be interested. I'm definitely getting Streethawk.

2) Don't miss Destroyer's Rubies. It is his masterwork, solid from top to bottom, musically and lyrically.
Just listened to this one a few times and I'm impressed. It's definitely as good as Kaputt if not even better. And as you said, there are barely horns but the songs are all great.

Suicide Demo for Kara Walker has moved right up on the list. But seriously, there is not one song I don't love. I couldn't even say that for my clear #1 last year, This is Happening, which had Somebody's Calling Me.

I think I'll listen to Rubies today.

Hope you enjoyed European Oils and Painter In Your Pocket. That's a 2 song combo where I'm physically unable to listen to one song without the other!

Just listened to Streethawk, really liked it. Sort of a lot to take in. Crazy how much he did with so little.

I don't remember why now, but I definitely didn't get to that the other day. We'll see if tonight is the night.

I'm just listening to Destroyer's Rubies now, and quite liking it. I had to comment on the name-check of Clytemnestra. Mr. Behar knows his ancient mythology.

Listened to that for the first time myself, last night. Didn't like it right away as I did with Kaputt, but there's definite potential for a future between us.

Back
Top Bottom