Destroyer - Kaputt (AKA NSW: NEVAR Forget)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Dream Lover: good song, awful mixing. It sounds like he tried to combine My Bloody Valentine and Springsteen together and it's just a blown out mess.

But I love the melody and what I can hear of the vocals.

I really dislike this song. I find it to be nearly unlistenable. Dueling saxophone solos, poor mixing, sounds like Dan didn't even know what song he'd be singing over so he rarely seems to be with the melody.

It's infuriating, to me, because with the minorest of tweaks it'd probably be a favorite, but the production and mixing are just terrible as it stands. Like someone in a studio played a Destroyer song over two different early 70s Springsteen tracks all at once.

Still excited for an album, tho.

This song is a horrible, horrible song.

It's really not, but I did have to turn it off while I was driving home because the noise was too much. I was hoping it was just the version I heard on the radio, but when I listened to it again at home on headphones, I still found it to be horribly crowded. Since he's still all about the saxamaphone, though, the single still managed to get me excited, even if I didn't necessarily like the song itself.

I just picked up Kaputt on vinyl, and it turns out there's an entire EP's worth of extra material packed onto one side. Keen to give that a listen given the strength of that entire era.

I found my first listen rather disjointed and disappointing, but I'm waiting for a gapless stream to hear it again. It just seemed like a bunch of E Street band tracks and chamber music smashed together without the love and care put into the production that Kaputt had. That being said, there were a lot of really good songs in there.

Last edited:
I have another dilemma. There is a limited edition clear vinyl being offered through Merge but shipping is as much as the record itself. But if I order it from Amazon shipping is nearly three-quarters less. But it's standard black vinyl. $60 vs $40 essentially. Arrrrgghhhhhh I hate being a vinyl wanker. I don't know why I'm even posting this, I'm certain I'll end up getting the more expensive one ??????

I have another dilemma. There is a limited edition clear vinyl being offered through Merge but shipping is as much as the record itself. But if I order it from Amazon shipping is nearly three-quarters less. But it's standard black vinyl. $60 vs $40 essentially. Arrrrgghhhhhh I hate being a vinyl wanker. I don't know why I'm even posting this, I'm certain I'll end up getting the more expensive one í½í¸’

It's much cheaper to be a high-res digital wanker.

I was listening to the NPR stream in the background, so I don't know individual song titles, but there are a few killer tracks on here. My sense is it really picks up on the back half, which sounds a hell of lot like Wild & Innocent era Springsteen.

I really liked it on first listen. Dream Lover still fucking rules. Side B (The River>Girl in a Sling>Times Square) is fucking amazing. I hadn't heard Archer on the Beach from when it came out years ago but it's great and leads off a more quiet, contemplative second half (aside from Midnight Meet the Rain). Lyrically I think it's a step down, but that's only because he cuts out most of his esotericism from Kaputt, so it probably makes it more accessible. But still so many moments on this record which contain everything that I love so much about this band. Can only imagine I'll grow to love this thing more and more, some of the more slow tracks are going to reveal themselves through repeated listens and with headphones. Love the horn work, it's not as pervasive as it is on Kaputt but if anything more on point when it is played. And the strings are a sublime touch, just listen to Girl in a Sling for proof of that.

Rubies
European Oils
Chinatown
Kaputt (I don't know how this could miss anyone's top 4, it's a masterpiece)

I need to spend more time with the other albums, but I just love these songs.

I've heard:

Streethawk: A Seduction (2-3 times)
This Night (1 time)
Your Blues (1 time)
Rubies (5-6 times)
Kaputt (193240494704 times)
Poison Season (2 times)

So no, not yet. I want to hear that one and Thief, then I'll do some relistens. This Night is one I'm particularly interested in returning to. It was great but I heard it and Carrie & Lowell for the first time on the same night and yeah, the latter stuck with me more.

Last edited:
I think you'll love Trouble in Dreams. I'd rate it third behind Kaputt and Rubies, and it's sonically similar to the latter. My Favourite Year, Shooting Rockets, Introducing Angels and Libby's First Sunrise are all stellar tracks. I also like This Night.

Rubies
Bay of Pigs
European Oils
Looters' Follies

Sent from my H60-L04 using U2 Interference mobile app

I never listened to the stream, but like songs they promoted the album with. Safe bet for purchase? What say ye, Cobbz?

Same here. I love Foam Hands.

eff-everybody-foam-hands.jpg

I really like the album after two listens.

Last edited:
I like it a lot as well. It's been a while since I've listened to an album twice on the same day.

Back
Top Bottom