Desert Island X: Survivor *Final Round*

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Vote for your LEAST FAVORITE list

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

LemonMelon

More 5G Than Man
Last round, Lazarus, LemonMelon and PhilsFan were all eliminated with 3 votes.

As always, vote for your LEAST FAVORITE LIST. Your choices are as follows:

bono_212

72g4f4.jpg

With my DI lists, I like to focus on the genres of music I'm currently interested in. Since I've been listening to so much music from the the 90s lately, that's made it a prominent factor in my recent playlist. Unfortunately, this time around, I had a lot of different ideas, a lot of struggles to get those ideas to make sense. At the end, I went with two major musical sections, that includes a nice little break of a bridge in the middle to connect them. While most of the music on this list isn't from the 90s that inspired me, its influences and influence are felt throughout the two pieces of the whole.

Hopefully you have as much fun listening to it as I had headaches in making it work.

1. Vangelis – “Tears in Rain” – Blade Runner (3:00)
2. Blue Sky Black Death – “Sleeping Children Are Still Flying” – Noir (5:59)
3. CunninLynguists – “In the City” – Strange Journey Volume Three (3:40)
4. Air – “All I Need” – Moon Safari (4:27)
5. Outkast – “Aquemini” – Big Boi and Dre Present…Outkast (4:43)
6. Massive Attack – “Protection” – Protection (7:51)
7. Sade – “The Sweetest Taboo” – Promise (4:35)
8. Simply Red – “Fairground” – Life (5:33)
9. Katy Perry – “Walking on Air” – Prism (3:41)
10. Cut Copy – “Hearts on Fire” – In Ghost Colours (4:49)
11. Tycho – “L” – Awake (4:37)
12. Memory Tapes – “Bicycle” – Seek Magic (5:17)
13. RAC – “Let Go (feat. Kele & MNDR)” – Strangers (4:39)
14. Chairlift – “I Belong in Your Arms” – Something (3:27)
15. Stars – “Hold on When You Get Love and Let Go When You Give It” – The North (4:37)
16. Tina Turner – “Better Be Good to Me” – Private Dancer (5:10)
17. Big Country – “In a Big Country (Single Edit)” – The Best of Big Country (3:53)
18. The House of Love – “I Don’t Know Why I Love You” – The House of Love (3:28)
19. The Mighty Lemon Drops – “Into the Heart of Love” – Laughter (2:57)
20. The Replacements – “Alex Chilton” – Pleased to Meet Me (3:12)
21. The Undertones – “Teenage Kicks” – The Undertones (2:25)
22. Buzzcocks – “Ever Fallen in Love (With Someone You Shouldn’t’ve)” – Love Bites (2:42)
23. Dramarama – “Anything, Anything (I’ll Give You)” - Cinéma Vérité (3:23)
24. AFI – “Days of the Phoenix” – The Art of Drowning (3:27)
25. Japandroids – “The House That Heaven Built” – Celebration Rock (4:49)
26. Against Me! – “I Was a Teenage Anarchist” – White Crosses (3:13)
27. The Pillows – “Blues Drive Monster” – FLCL Original Sound Track NO. 3 (3:25)
28. The Dismemberment Plan – “Following Through” – Change (4:39)
29. Disco Inferno – “Next Year” – D.I. Go Pop (4:03)
30. Butthole Surfers – “Pepper” – Electriclarryland (4:55)
31. Moby – “Southside” – Play (3:48)
32. Primitive Radio Gods – “Standing Outside a Broken Phone Booth with Money in My Hand” – Rocket (5:36)
33. Eels – My Descent into Madness (3:53)
34. Pavement – “Grounded” – Wowee Zowee (4:15)
35. Yo La Tengo – “Damage” – I Can Hear the Heart Beating as One (4:38)
36. Big Star – “Kangaroo” – Third (3:44)

Total runtime: 2:32:30

phanan

An ode to the music styles of synthpop from yesterday and today, with a focus on both "synth" and "pop".

Kraftwerk may not necessarily be pop, but there's no doubting their impact on the formation of the genre; therefore, they were the only logical choice to lead this off.

From there, the progression to Tubeway Army is fairly obvious, as we get our first movement into the pop arena.

After that, anything goes...

A WHISPER IN HEAVEN

1. Kraftwerk - "The Man Machine" - The Man Machine (5:32)
2. Tubeway Army - "Are 'Friends' Electric" - Replicas (5:25)
3. SPC ECO - "Push" - The Art Of Pop (4:16)
4. Little Dragon - "Feather" - Machine Dreams (4:54)
5. M83 - "Teen Angst" - Before The Dawn Heals Us (5:03)
6. Pet Shop Boys - "Home And Dry" - Release (3:58)
7. Haerts - "Hemiplegia" - Haerts (3:49)
8. Little Boots - "Stuck On Repeat" - Hands (3:21)
9. Cut Copy - "We Are Explorers" - Free Your Mind (4:18)
10. Chromatics - "Kill For Love" - Kill For Love (3:58)
11. New Order – “Your Silent Face’ – Power, Corruption & Lies (5:58)
12. Tears For Fears – “Suffer The Children” – The Hurting (3:53)
13. Roxy Music – “Over You” – Flesh + Blood (3:27)*
14. Devo – “Beautiful World” – New Traditionalists (3:34)
15. Erasure – “Blue Savannah” – Wild! (4:19)
16. Duran Duran – “The Man Who Stole A Leopard” – All You Need Is Now (6:14)
17. Information Society – “Where Were You?” - _Hello World (3:51)
18. Neon Neon – “Raquel” – Stainless Style (5:01)
19. Simian Mobile Disco – “I Believe” – Attack Decay Sustain Release (3:18)
20. Yazoo – “Situation” – Upstairs At Eric’s (5:45)**
21. Metric – “The Void” – Synthetica (3:17)
22. Goldfrapp – “Ooh La La” – Supernature (3:24)
23. Chvrches – “Gun” – The Bones Of What You Believe (3:54)
24. Purity Ring – “Obedear” – Shrines (3:29)
25. St. Lucia – “September” – When The Night (5:46)
26. Paperwhite – “Pieces” – Pieces (Single) (3:58)
27. Visage – “Fade To Grey” – Visage (4:04)
28. Depeche Mode – “Never Let Me Down Again” – Music For The Masses (4:22)*
29. Monogem – “Follow You” – Follow You (Single) (3:45)
30. OMD – “Metroland” – English Electric (7:32)

Total Time: 133:25

Notes:

*Whereas the original album is noted, the specific versions of these tracks were taken from compilations for transitional purposes only.

**This is the US 12" Mix that was included on the North American version of Upstairs At Eric's.

---------

This poll will be going an extra day so it covers every weekday. We'll have our winner on Friday afternoon. Good luck, you guys. And many thanks to everyone who has participated up to this point.

Last edited:
I gave Phanan more points than Ashley in the original rankings, but the more I think about it, I find Ashley's list more interesting overall. She made it to the finals with a fucking Katy Perry song on her list. Let's reward someone who has the nerve to do that.

^nepotism....

Nah, first six tracks alone put it over the top.

Also, what the hell is this review if you didn't like the list that much?

well well. well well well well well. wellity wellity well. we might just have a new favourite for this competition, bonoruinyoucunt. first of all, im continuing with my policy of honesty in these lists. i have underestimated your music tastes. this is quite offensive im sure but i think i had your tastes pegged a little more narrow, which is obviously insane given you post on this forum, listen to a shitload of music old and new, blah blah blah blah, so i apologise for having silent misgivings ahead of your list. your tastes are likely wider than mine. this is the most ive ever enjoyed a list of yours (not that i ever didnt enjoy them in the past tho) and ALSO this is the first time ive enjoyed a list of yours more than your significant other’s, and i must say i enjoyed this quite a bit more.

now, away from the gratuitious iwb-style ravings and onto the list itself. in melbourne at the mo it is currently quite spring-y, in that we’ve just had some pretty fucking great hot days, but today it’s raining and overcast but not cold and windy like what accompanies shitful rain here in winter. so the start of the list was just perfect. tears in rain wasnt the strongest of openers but it was nice, and the blue sky black death song was pretty cool. i feel like the cunninlynguists song is type of hip-hop song you REALLY like, in that it’s quite a bit different from the typical hip-hop song. air was great. as i aleady mentioned aquemini into protection was boner-inducing. the sade song was quite cool. the Simply Red song was very cool, very cool indeed, quite like it. the Katy Perry song was very un-Katy Perry in that I didnt feel her in screaming “HERES MY LATEST UPBEAT POP SONG” into my ears. it was good. Hearts on Cut Copy, Tycho, Memory Tapes was great.

From RAC on you began to lose me a little bit, I wasn’t big on anything from there through to The Pillows (aside from Japandroids), but once Dismemberment Plan came on it was absolutely terrific from then on out. I especially loved it from Moby onwards. The drumming in Southside reminded me A LOT of Larry’s drumming from a U2 song from any of the 90s albums... can’t remember which one and not looking it up right now. All this stuff worked very well, I actually thought you probably could have slipped in a song from Pop seamlessly around Primitive/Moby/Eels. My only slight criticism is that the music in the Eels song didn’t quiiiiiite match with the songs around it, but that’s really pretty minor, and the lyrics were great. And now I know 3000 and Mark Oliver have something in common - they both have a song where they say “I’m the shit” over and over. Grounded is obviously sensational, and Damage and Kangaroo, both songs by bands I haven’t check out, was an astonishing closing duo. So! great job, and I think I might even listen to it again before sending in my rankings, pay a bit more attention to the start and the middle.

tl;dr - :up::hyper:

Last edited:
I just didn't take very kindly to it at the time, is all. But, re-reading it now it's not quite as bad as I remember. Just kinda put me in a sour mood, the first paragraph, that's all.

I didn't think Cobbler's review was bad, just the narrow taste stuff that he apologized for like a sentence later. No big deal.

I shouldn't have said anything, sorry. I mean, really need to get a thicker skin sometimes.

212er used one of the three best against me songs. And I liked a very large portion of the rest of it. Phanan's list was better than afliktor's, but it's the only other one I turned off halfway through.

Although if phanan brought his snowblower down this way, I could be persuaded to vote other ways.

:lol:

Well if this is "over" I suppose I shouldn't feel bad asking about the next DI: you guys want to do rankings and voting next time? It's a little late to do a ranking this time, as participation is down from where it was at the beginning and the voting results would likely bias the rankings somewhat, but it might be interesting to have two winners next time.

Hell, maybe you guys solely want to do rankings next time. It just wouldn't add any extra time to the competition if we did rankings because it would be done via private message before any polls went up.

Anyway, just thinking aloud.

I had Ashley's ahead of Phanan for most of this contest, but the only playlists I kept on my phone for my vacation were Phanan's and the first half of IWB's.

So maybe I'll just join the club of about-facers and keep this interesting for another day.

I'm going with 212 for the win here. It really comes down to variety. That's no fault on phanan's list; it just didn't have as many surprises as its competitor.

Apparently they're Aussie? Maybe Zoots is trying to throw us off this time instead of making it stupidly obvious.

Back
Top Bottom