Desert Island X: Rules and Signup Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LemonMelon

More 5G Than Man
We've made it. We've done 10 of these fuckers now. Can you believe it? It's been almost 10 years too. Why is this board still running? Why are we all still posting here anyway? Well, speaking for myself, it's partially because of the spirit of tournaments like this. Friends talking with friends about great new music, as well as old tracks heard in a fresh context. And this DI has a few interesting twists, which means I can't just 100% copy and paste the old rules. Fuck.

THE RULES
1. As always, the purpose of this game is to make the best playlist you possibly can. As time is an important element in playlist creation, there is no longer a minimum for how long a playlist can be. It's entirely up to you. Theoretically, you could drop an EP on us and that would be your right. On the other end of the spectrum, lists can be as long as 160 minutes, the length of two CDs. Do not exceed this or you will need to resubmit your list under the current guidelines.

2. You may use only ONE song from a particular artist. If a track is broken up into several movements, please contact me and an exception will be considered.

3. For added flexibility, tracks of all kinds are allowed in this competition, including dialogue snippets, demos, sound effects, anything. However, they must be included as a separate track because...

4. Tracks may not be edited or shortened in any way, unless there is a hidden track at the end. This does not apply to officially released radio/single edits.

5. Do not rely too heavily on material from compilation albums/soundtracks, as those are essentially playlists themselves. Nonetheless, be aware that they are allowed. Contact me if you intend to use multiple tracks from the same compilation.

6. In perhaps the largest change from DI9, tracks from past DIs are now allowed. In theory, you could repurpose and improve an old list. However, I trust that this allowance will not be abused. We're here to be exposed to exciting new music, not the same lists we've already heard. So use past tracks in fresh new ways, if you choose to include them at all.

SUBMISSION DETAILS
Do not post your entries in this thread, as it is against forum rules to post officially released material on the forum itself. All entries for this competition should be sent to either of the following:

-My PM box
-My email, whp555444@yahoo.com

Here is what is required for your entry:

• Your track listing (see below for formatting details).
  • Links the music contained in your playlist. You may either zip your music and upload it to a site like mediafire, divshare, rapidshare, etc. OR if you can create your playlist on a streaming service such as Spotify, Grooveshark or YouTube, send me the public link to it. Be aware that Spotify and YouTube have advertisements that will affect the transitions on your list. I would personally prefer if you send me both, as many posters do not wish to sign up for extra services just to hear one list, but one or the other is all that is required as long as either contains every track in the playlist.

Additionally, you may send me a title for your playlist, as well as artwork and an explanatory paragraph of merciful length. These items are not required, but may be preferred for some participants.

FORMATTING
Please submit submissions using the following format EXACTLY:

Forum name: [Your Interference name here]

Playlist:

PLAYLIST TITLE (if you give it one)

Track #. Band Name - "Song Title" - Album Name (Time in Minutes:Seconds)
1. Please - "Follow This Format" - Thank You (20:15)
2. It Helps A Lot - "If You Follow This" - To The Letter (10:45)
3. Life Is Easier - "When People Do" - What Is Asked In The Rules (15:00)
4. Rules - "Are Not Hard" - To Follow (15:30)
5. Grammar, Punctuation, And Order - "Should Be Just Like They Are" - In This Example (7:15)
6. Thank You Very Much - "In Advance" - For Adhering To This Style! (43:20)

Total runtime: 112:05

DEADLINE
All submissions must be sent to me by October 31st at 11:59 PM CST. The master list containing all entries will be posted shortly thereafter in a separate thread. You do not have to send me all of your material at once; you may send me a track listing here or artwork there, but make sure that your links are sent to me by the deadline.

LISTENING AND DISCUSSION
The intention is to have 20 playlists in this competition. Each participant will be paired off with the participant they will face off against and those two lists will be discussed at the same time in a separate thread. Once all 20 of those playlists have had their own threads, we'll just use them as needed as the tournament continues. Each thread will be open for 3 days before voting begins.

VOTING
After three days with a discussion thread, the two participants will face off in a 48 hour poll. In order to encourage active participation in the polls, I will allow you to vote for own list. However, you may not spam other sections of the forum in order to solicit votes. Proof that you have will result in removal from the competition.

CONTESTANTS
The tournament will have 20 contestants with 2 slots available for alternates in case someone drops out. The slots will be filled on a first-come-first-serve basis. As mentioned above, the contestants will be broken up into groups of two via a bracket and the playlists will be staggered accordingly.

The list of contestants is as follows:

1. LemonMelon
2. the tourist
3. gump
4. cobl04
5. iron yuppie
6. bono_212
7. Axver
8. lazarus
9. IWasBored
10. namkcuR
11. LMP
12. The Sad Punk
13. liamcool
14. Vlad n U 2
15. nielsgov
16. phanan
17. Joey788
18. Padj
19. LJT
20. Afliktor
ALT 1. PhilsFan
ALT 2.

If you aren't on this list and wish to be, or if you are on it and wish to drop out, please let me know.

Last edited:
Thanks for being prompt, I hate having a bunch of the contestant lists scattered all over the thread because I couldn't edit the first one.

What the hell is an Oxford comma.

If you punctuate properly, you use an Oxford comma to separate multiple items: A, B, and C.

If you are a philistine who doesn't care if your language is potentially ambiguous, you write multiple items as: A, B and C.

Friggin'.

Man I didn't even notice that. That's been the format since DI1 and it has been copied and pasted time and time again.

I will tell you that I try not to use the Oxford comma either. I think it's ugly. However, what's worst of all to me is flipping back and forth. Then it actually gets confusing.

Last edited:
If you punctuate properly, you use an Oxford comma to separate multiple items: A, B, and C.

If you are a philistine who doesn't care if your language is potentially ambiguous, you write multiple items as: A, B and C.

Friggin'.

This.

Oxford commas 4-LYFE.

Friggin'.

I worked as an editor for several years and official AP style does not recognize the Oxford comma, so I learned and taught to write without them.

I hate to bring up a band I find hideously overrated, but who gives a fuck about an Oxford comma?

'And', 'or'... pretty obvious signifiers.

So I had a half-cooked playlist for DIIX, and my plan was just to finish that. But now there are quite a number of tracks on that playlist that I don't really have a great attachment to in the here and now. There are some really good songs, some great transitions, but I'm just not "feeling it".

a) has this ever happened to anyone? and b) advice?

I'm thinking delete the playlist and just start over again how I normally do these things, go manually through my library, drag songs I'm "feeling" into a shortlist, then go from there and let it sort of come organically, but I'm torn, cos a lot of these songs/transitions/flow are really great, I think.

Don't get attached to full playlists. You'll wind up losing a lot of excitement for the competition if you're not really into your list. If there are a handful of transitions you absolutely can't lose, keep those and see if you can repurpose them. If not, move on. I had lists ready for DI10, DI11 and DI12 that I lost and ended up just using what I liked out of them.

yay im in!! ty LemonMelon.

i think ya'll will like my playlist, it's got a lot of chill electronica and post-rocks

yay im in!! ty LemonMelon.

i think ya'll will like my playlist, it's got a lot of chill electronica and post-rocks

:) No problem, really glad that we've got a new face to go along with the regulars.

Honestly, I'm pumped that we've even got this much initial interest. For DI9 I set the bar lower, at 15 participants. But we wound up with more than that in the end.

Back
Top Bottom