Desert Island X: Rules and Signup Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Because we have an odd number of people right now and I'm honestly not sure how to structure this as originally planned. I'm not doing byes because there aren't going to be enough matches to justify them.

Can I ask why you say this? I don't understand the problem with just giving Phanan(because he won the last DI) a bye. It seems like a relatively simple thing that could allow us to go with polls.

I think the presumption that head-to-head polls will only generate 4 or 5 votes is probably accurate, and for that reason not really a route worth taking.

Can I ask why you say this? I don't understand the problem with just giving Phanan(because he won the last DI) a bye. It seems like a relatively simple thing that could allow us to go with polls.

He hasn't done anything to earn that bye in the context of this tournament. Byes are used in accordance with regular season performance. This is a what-have-you-done-for-me-lately kind of tournament. :wink: In fact, even the seeding was going to be totally randomized, where I could have easily set it along prior performance. And again, there was only going to be a handful of matches per contestant. Giving one participant a match off would have made it, let's say, 25% easier for them to repeat, which I don't believe is fair. Agree to disagree, I suppose.

In case anyone was wondering, DI groups in a ranking system are set on a first-sent-first-serve basis. I think LMP and I will be the first two discussed.

Last edited:
Agreed. I don't deserve a bye because I won last time. That is an unfair advantage.

Has Bonnie not been around lately? Anyone know how to reach her via other means (FB, email, etc)?

When we previously did polls in a World Cup format, I pulled names out of a hat to create the groups. Totally random. There shouldn't be any specific reason to group certain people together. You get who you get. Hell, one year we had a sick "group of death" with me, Travis, and LMP.

If we were to do head to head matches, I would absolutely pull from a hat. If it's just listening threads, there's no inherent advantage to going sooner, other than listener interest. But it won't make people like your list any more or less. I like that there's some incentive to getting the lists in sooner too.

I think Cobbs said he would said word to Bonnie. I haven't talked to her in weeks.

Not sure we should go begging for someone to finish their list a week later. If you can't make the deadline, haven't sent any updates to anyone about your progress, and aren't responding to any messages, then you can fuck off as far as I'm concerned.

Have spoken with Bonnie via FB, she has been very busy with work, study and life, "fuck off" is a little strong, man. She hasn't been able to check back in. She's uploading her list to Grooveshark and will let me know tomorrow if it's going to get up.

Not sure we should go begging for someone to finish their list a week later. If you can't make the deadline, haven't sent any updates to anyone about your progress, and aren't responding to any messages, then you can fuck off as far as I'm concerned.

What's the hurry? Why is it such a big deal if we have to wait a couple more days?

Hahaha I'm not going to tell her no. I need to night to organize the lists and set the schedule up anyway.

He hasn't done anything to earn that bye in the context of this tournament. Byes are used in accordance with regular season performance. This is a what-have-you-done-for-me-lately kind of tournament. :wink: In fact, even the seeding was going to be totally randomized, where I could have easily set it along prior performance. And again, there was only going to be a handful of matches per contestant. Giving one participant a match off would have made it, let's say, 25% easier for them to repeat, which I don't believe is fair. Agree to disagree, I suppose.

In case anyone was wondering, DI groups in a ranking system are set on a first-sent-first-serve basis. I think LMP and I will be the first two discussed.

That's a fair point. I just really want polls instead of rankings this time. In case you hadn't noticed. :wink:

Just brainstorming, but what if we just did it survivor-style? Like, first post two(or however many you decide on) lists a week for people to listen to and discuss, and then at the end, after all the lists of have been listened to and discussed, instead of rankings, just do a survivor. That would work regardless of whether it's an even or odd number of contestants. If it's 19 people, it's an 18 day survivor.

There are no fairness issues there that I can see, and it would be pretty simple to run for you. Obviously there's not really a need if Bonnie gets her list in, but if we're left with 19, it's an alternative.

Just an idea.

That's a fair point. I just really want polls instead of rankings this time. In case you hadn't noticed. :wink:

Just brainstorming, but what if we just did it survivor-style? Like, first post two(or however many you decide on) lists a week for people to listen to and discuss, and then at the end, after all the lists of have been listened to and discussed, instead of rankings, just do a survivor. That would work regardless of whether it's an even or odd number of contestants. If it's 19 people, it's an 18 day survivor.

There are no fairness issues there that I can see, and it would be pretty simple to run for you. Obviously there's not really a need if Bonnie gets her list in, but if we're left with 19, it's an alternative.

Just an idea.

This is an interesting idea, but an extra month of polls after the main listening portion is going to wear people out.

In fact, while we're on the topic, would you guys prefer 2 or 3 lists per listening thread? If we do 3 per, it'll take 6 weeks. That seems like a lot, but it's actually about the same as always.

Have spoken with Bonnie via FB, she has been very busy with work, study and life, "fuck off" is a little strong, man. She hasn't been able to check back in. She's uploading her list to Grooveshark and will let me know tomorrow if it's going to get up.

Well, it's not like participation was mandatory. If someone doesn't think they have time for the project, let one of the alternates have a chance.

What's the hurry? Why is it such a big deal if we have to wait a couple more days?

Why have a deadline at all, then?

This is an interesting idea, but an extra month of polls after the main listening portion is going to wear people out.

In fact, while we're on the topic, would you guys prefer 2 or 3 lists per listening thread? If we do 3 per, it'll take 6 weeks. That seems like a lot, but it's actually about the same as always.

I would go two per. I feel like the goal should be for each list to get as much attention from its listeners as it did from its creator, and I feel the only way to do that is to shrink the serving size as much as possible. I'd even be up for doing it one per every two or three days, but I feel like no one else would.

I think we should go with a FIFA style system where Travis creates the groups based on who bribes him.

I like this. Then we can change the time of the competition because we didn't realize summer was too hot. That will allow Bonnie to participate.

I get the merits of this conversation, but that doesn't stop it from being overblown. It's a fucking mixtape exchange and friendly competition. Bonnie's done it before and knows what's up. Do a slow roll-out of the lists and put hers toward the end of the listening pack. Or put out a master list then add hers when it's ready.

We all just wanna listen to music, talk a little shit, and goof off. It's one of the few semi-annual events that gets the gang back together. Please don't take this as me bad-mouthing the back-end work in putting this altogether; there's gotta be some order to make it work. But come on now.

I get the merits of this conversation, but that doesn't stop it from being overblown. It's a fucking mixtape exchange and friendly competition. Bonnie's done it before and knows what's up. Do a slow roll-out of the lists and put hers toward the end of the listening pack. Or put out a master list then add hers when it's ready.

We all just wanna listen to music, talk a little shit, and goof off. It's one of the few semi-annual events that gets the gang back together. Please don't take this as me bad-mouthing the back-end work in putting this altogether; there's gotta be some order to make it work. But come on now.

:up::up::up::up::up::up:

Actually...I think LMP may have solved this, LeMel. Just do the polls as planned, but make sure Bonnie competes in one of the later polls to give her more time to finish(or, if she can't do it, to give someone else enough time to put a list together).

Let go of the polls already. It's done. It's not happening. There's no way there would be enough participation to warrant them, at this point, and you can ask anyone here: I'm the staunchest supporter of going back to polls. Let's just do three playlists at a time, spread out the jams, have fun, and submit rankings at the end. It's not like this is for cash. There's not even a cute little trophy that we send through the mail. It's good enough the way it's been, and we should just keep it status quo.

Let go of the polls already. It's done. It's not happening. There's no way there would be enough participation to warrant them, at this point, and you can ask anyone here: I'm the staunchest supporter of going back to polls. Let's just do three playlists at a time, spread out the jams, have fun, and submit rankings at the end. It's not like this is for cash. There's not even a cute little trophy that we send through the mail. It's good enough the way it's been, and we should just keep it status quo.

:up::up::up::up:

Agree to disagree. They should happen, and with the solution of putting Bonnie at the end, there's no reason why they shouldn't. I mean, weren't polls Travis's plan until it looked like we only had 19 contestants instead of 20? As for participation, I assume you're talking about non-contestant participation? I don't even know why that's needed. As long as the 20 of us vote on every poll, what's the problem?

I don't think anyone's really arguing against you, except a person or two.

This isn't Nam, Smokey. This is bowling. There are rules!

Nah, you're right. I'm trying to sway the masses with my powerful rhetoric though!

Lest anyone doubt that there is still interest in DI, here's a comparison of previous signup threads:

DI 1 rules and signup thread: N/A
DI 2 rules and signup thread: 356 posts
DI 3 rules and signup thread: 961 posts
DI 4 rules and signup thread: 530 posts
DI 5 rules and signup thread: 563 posts
DI 6 rules and signup thread: 136 posts
DI 7 rules and signup thread: 199 posts
DI 8 rules and signup thread: 162 posts
DI 9 rules and signup thread: 394 posts
DI 10 rules and signup thread: 447 posts

Outside of the ridiculous DI3/Space Moon clash, DI10 is right on track to match some of the most successful past DIs. Voting would still probably be in the tank, but if/when DI11 rolls around, I think we can safely assume there will still be plenty of discussion.

And this, of course, bodes well for the listening threads.

Last edited:
why aren't any of these lists in my PM box yet? i don't care how we're "voting," i'll get last place anyway. i just want some tunes.

I'm going to be burning the midnight oil making sure everything is ready so I can just hit "send" on the threads/PMs before I go to class tomorrow.

Back
Top Bottom