Desert Island X: Rules and Signup Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I don't know how many people were itching to go back to voting, anyways. I am vocal enough about my feelings, but I'll bow out to going back to rankings, if that's what the majority wants.

It would have been a refreshing change, but if it's not going to work, it's not going to work.

Dammit, Bonnie. :madwife:

Last edited:
Yeah, I also prefer rankings; it's certainly a more thorough evaluation.

Eh, maybe for top and bottom, but my rankings past, about, 1-5 are completely arbitrary. It's just too many things to put in a numerical list.

However, I fully believe, based on what we've seen already, that were we to do head to head competition, we would get very disappointing participation numbers in the voting rounds, and for that reason, the rankings really are basically the only option.

I really don't prefer rankings because I feel everyone just makes shit up at the last second so they don't get removed from the competition, whereas regular polls would give everyone a more structured excuse to listen to each list. Plus, everyone in group 4 gets screwed over. Hardly anyone is listening by then, judging by the activity in past threads. I wish the listening threads didn't have to be staggered, but they really do. It's impossible to throw out all 19 lists at once.

Anyway, ranking is really the only option, so I'm good with it. Give me until tomorrow to get things organized and we'll proceed.

Last edited:
I really don't prefer rankings because I feel everyone just makes shit up at the last second so they don't get removed from the competition, whereas regular polls would give everyone a more structured excuse to listen to each list. Plus, everyone in group 4 gets screwed over. Hardly anyone is listening by then, judging by the activity in past threads. I wish the listening threads didn't have to be staggered, but they really do. It's impossible to throw out all 19 lists at once.

Anyway, ranking is really the only option, so I'm good with it. Give me until tomorrow to get things organized and we'll proceed.

Yeah, I agree with this. I also have a hard time ranking these lists, whereas it's easier to choose a favorite between two.

Rankings aren't my preferred method either. What if we created one thread per week for discussing and listening to a few lists at a time? That addresses the level of engagement that polls generate while getting around not having them in the first place.

Why not just have one poll with three lists then?

19 is a prime number. Dividing by three will still leave one out.

Rankings aren't my preferred method either. What if we created one thread per week for discussing and listening to a few lists at a time? That addresses the level of engagement that polls generate while getting around not having them in the first place.

I like this idea. We were going to handle discussions this way anyhow.

Is a week long enough for everybody? That's my only concern.

I'd be down for this.

19 is a prime number. Dividing by three will still leave one out.

Come on man I wasn't that bad at maths :lol:

I meant eight 1v1 polls, plus one 1v1v1 poll.

I meant eight 1v1 polls, plus one 1v1v1 poll.

:lol: Thank God

That would still split the vote unfairly for one person. As we've discovered from survivors, voting works differently when there are multiple options instead of 1v1. Plus there's the added likelihood of a tie, which would defeat the purpose. I don't know. It sounds like a very slight majority prefers ranking anyways.

I probably should have made a poll about this weeks ago.

It would just be nice to have some kind of knowledge that everyone's participating, that's all I'm looking for.

I'm also really afraid we're getting too close to taking this far too seriously. The idea is just to have fun. Let's have fun. I like fun, do you?

We're CLOSE to taking this too seriously? :lol: We crossed that bridge years ago. That's why Space Moon intervened.

Space Moon.

Week one - five lists, discussion thread
Week two - five lists, discussion thread
Week three - five lists, discussion thread
Week four - four lists, discussion thread
Everyone submits a ranking via PM/email
Final rankings revealed by LM

Peef should start a best DI methods survivor. Maybe Bonnie will have her list in by the end.

I was excited about not doing rankings. Cobbler's right, people will end up hurrying and making things up. And even if no one makes anything up, ranking still becomes pretty arbitrary when you're ranking this many lists. Also, one of the things I was looking forward to with the polls was the posting of fewer lists at a time, two at a time, as I feel even four or five at a time is too much. I like the idea of every list or at least every two lists getting specific attention and discussion.

If there is any way whatsoever to do polls, I feel that's what we should do.

I agree that four or five lists a week is way too much. That's definitely not going to happen.

Back
Top Bottom