Desert Island X: Rules and Signup Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
genres on my playlist currently: ambient dub, art rock, chillstep, doom, drone, illbient, indie, instrumental hip-hop, liquid DnB, nugaze, post-metal, post-punk, post-rock, psybient, rock, soundtrack, rap, remix, synthgaze, trap, trip-hop, witch house

yes those are all real.

Wasn't it Jive Turkey who hated these kinds of cloying genre tags? I'm sure he would have a field day with "illbient" and "nugaze."

Wasn't it Jive Turkey who hated these kinds of cloying genre tags? I'm sure he would have a field day with "illbient" and "nugaze."

I've heard of every genre on the list except for nugaze (wtf??) and liquid DnB. No clue what the difference is there.

I've seen people use "nugaze" to refer to shoegaze made since 2000, which is just silly.

I actually appreciate that as a tag. Stuff since then has a decidedly different sound to first wave shoegaze.

I don't know, something like Cheatahs would be right at home in the nineties. I can think of plenty of other genres that sound much more different today to how they did in the nineties that don't have a new term.

Plus "nugaze" just sounds stupid. No genre should ever cop "nu". I'm disappointed "discogaze" never really became a thing...

Discogaze has always been thing.

VP.jpg

Oh, different gaze.

My playlist is almost ready to go. A tidy 16 songs, 65 minutes. Now I just want to listen to it a few more times before putting the seal on it.

I don't know, something like Cheatahs would be right at home in the nineties. I can think of plenty of other genres that sound much more different today to how they did in the nineties that don't have a new term.

Plus "nugaze" just sounds stupid. No genre should ever cop "nu". I'm disappointed "discogaze" never really became a thing...

I'll agree with you on the later, NEWgaze would be fine. NU is the worst.

One issue I'm having is that there are so many great dance tracks that I want to include... but because I've become such a huge fan of dance/deep house/etc over the past two years a track that goes for like nine minutes is a breeze for me, but I feel like if I put anything like this track (which I'd love to use) on my list it'll be DI suicide, particularly with more than one dance track on the list.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ndI9S1aPsU

I'm likely to put a nine minute shoegaze track on mine that I know will lose people. The first four minutes are basically an endurance test of how much shoegaze you can handle in your life. Put on whatever the hell you want, whatever means something to you and fits in with what you want the compilation to do. If it challenges people, so be it.

I agree with Axver.

I've also got an 8+ minute ambient song on there. I don't know how it works with others but it's easier to lose me with a sequence of short songs. If they're all a bit samey and some do nothing for me then others tend to float by without leaving an impression. A longer track always leaves an impression.

it's probably just what you listen to. i don't know of many 8 min long songs that aren't boring as fuck. i listen to minor threat. i'd prefer shorter songs, probably. but depends on whether it's bongo bullshit like that dj koze thing, or something good.

I'm going into the deep end, I have two 15+ minute tracks on mine because why the hell not.

I'm likely to put a nine minute shoegaze track on mine that I know will lose people. The first four minutes are basically an endurance test of how much shoegaze you can handle in your life. Put on whatever the hell you want, whatever means something to you and fits in with what you want the compilation to do. If it challenges people, so be it.

You're putting Leave Them All Behind on your DI again? :wink:

Well it took most of the day :lol: but I've finally got a playlist. Currently checks in at 25 tracks, 2 hours, 11 minutes. Now to give it a run through and see if it works.

I'm likely to put a nine minute shoegaze track on mine that I know will lose people. The first four minutes are basically an endurance test of how much shoegaze you can handle in your life.

challenge accepted.

Put on whatever the hell you want, whatever means something to you and fits in with what you want the compilation to do. If it challenges people, so be it.

:up: I have a 10 minute post-rock song on mine and a few 7 minute songs. song length ain't no thang

I love EDM cobl04, looking forward to your playlist.

mine was at the max and i decided that's just too damn long for a playlist. cut it down to 2 hours and now I gotta listen to make sure it feels right

While I said I do prefer shorter songs, I mean songs that include vocals and pretend to vaguely resemble a song rather than a lengthy instrumental piece of music. I can tell you right now, if you were to make an exclusively post rock mix, it will probably be my #1 pick for the competition. Although you're talking electronic dancey shit too, so that will kill it unless it's minimal ambient kind of stuff.

I can tell you right now, if you were to make an exclusively post rock mix, it will probably be my #1 pick for the competition. Although you're talking electronic dancey shit too, so that will kill it unless it's minimal ambient kind of stuff.

it's more IDM than EDM. chill electronica.

I'm still not sure what that means, or what the I is supposed to stand for. But we established you're that other avatar-less person who came back as the other username last time you played, right? Cos I liked the metal playlist last time.

Back
Top Bottom