Desert Island X: Rules and Signup Thread - Page 29 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Just the Bang and the Clatter
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 11-05-2014, 09:04 PM   #421
Blue Crack Addict
 
liamcool's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: deep in absolutely bullshit historical theory/trauma theory
Posts: 16,695
Local Time: 02:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bono_212 View Post
I'm also really afraid we're getting too close to taking this far too seriously. The idea is just to have fun. Let's have fun. I like fun, do you?
Man screw you, fun sucks
__________________

__________________
liamcool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 09:23 PM   #422
ONE
love, blood, life
 
namkcuR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Kettering, Ohio
Posts: 10,286
Local Time: 11:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonMelon View Post
Because we have an odd number of people right now and I'm honestly not sure how to structure this as originally planned. I'm not doing byes because there aren't going to be enough matches to justify them.
Can I ask why you say this? I don't understand the problem with just giving Phanan(because he won the last DI) a bye. It seems like a relatively simple thing that could allow us to go with polls.
__________________

__________________
namkcuR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 09:38 PM   #423
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB
 
iron yuppie's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Chicago
Posts: 9,435
Local Time: 10:01 AM
I think the presumption that head-to-head polls will only generate 4 or 5 votes is probably accurate, and for that reason not really a route worth taking.
__________________
iron yuppie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 09:43 PM   #424
The Male
 
LemonMelon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Hollywoo
Posts: 65,789
Local Time: 08:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by namkcuR View Post
Can I ask why you say this? I don't understand the problem with just giving Phanan(because he won the last DI) a bye. It seems like a relatively simple thing that could allow us to go with polls.
He hasn't done anything to earn that bye in the context of this tournament. Byes are used in accordance with regular season performance. This is a what-have-you-done-for-me-lately kind of tournament. In fact, even the seeding was going to be totally randomized, where I could have easily set it along prior performance. And again, there was only going to be a handful of matches per contestant. Giving one participant a match off would have made it, let's say, 25% easier for them to repeat, which I don't believe is fair. Agree to disagree, I suppose.

In case anyone was wondering, DI groups in a ranking system are set on a first-sent-first-serve basis. I think LMP and I will be the first two discussed.
__________________


Now.
LemonMelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 09:51 PM   #425
Blue Crack Addict
 
phanan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: in the darkness on the edge of town
Posts: 25,060
Local Time: 11:01 AM
Desert Island X: Rules and Signup Thread

Agreed. I don't deserve a bye because I won last time. That is an unfair advantage.

Has Bonnie not been around lately? Anyone know how to reach her via other means (FB, email, etc)?

When we previously did polls in a World Cup format, I pulled names out of a hat to create the groups. Totally random. There shouldn't be any specific reason to group certain people together. You get who you get. Hell, one year we had a sick "group of death" with me, Travis, and LMP.
__________________
phanan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 10:00 PM   #426
The Male
 
LemonMelon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Hollywoo
Posts: 65,789
Local Time: 08:01 AM
If we were to do head to head matches, I would absolutely pull from a hat. If it's just listening threads, there's no inherent advantage to going sooner, other than listener interest. But it won't make people like your list any more or less. I like that there's some incentive to getting the lists in sooner too.

I think Cobbs said he would said word to Bonnie. I haven't talked to her in weeks.
__________________


Now.
LemonMelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 10:21 PM   #427
Blue Crack Addict
 
PhilsFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Standing on the shore, facing east.
Posts: 18,858
Local Time: 11:01 AM
I think we should go with a FIFA style system where Travis creates the groups based on who bribes him.
__________________
PhilsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 10:42 PM   #428
45:33
 
cobl04's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: East Point to Shaolin
Posts: 55,020
Local Time: 03:01 AM
I sent Bonnie a text but didn't get a reply. Have just sent her a FB msg.
__________________
cobl04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 10:52 PM   #429
Blue Crack Supplier
 
lazarus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Los Angeles, California
Posts: 37,992
Local Time: 08:01 AM
Not sure we should go begging for someone to finish their list a week later. If you can't make the deadline, haven't sent any updates to anyone about your progress, and aren't responding to any messages, then you can fuck off as far as I'm concerned.
__________________
lazarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 11:01 PM   #430
45:33
 
cobl04's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: East Point to Shaolin
Posts: 55,020
Local Time: 03:01 AM
Have spoken with Bonnie via FB, she has been very busy with work, study and life, "fuck off" is a little strong, man. She hasn't been able to check back in. She's uploading her list to Grooveshark and will let me know tomorrow if it's going to get up.
__________________
cobl04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 11:14 PM   #431
ONE
love, blood, life
 
namkcuR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Kettering, Ohio
Posts: 10,286
Local Time: 11:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lazarus View Post
Not sure we should go begging for someone to finish their list a week later. If you can't make the deadline, haven't sent any updates to anyone about your progress, and aren't responding to any messages, then you can fuck off as far as I'm concerned.
What's the hurry? Why is it such a big deal if we have to wait a couple more days?
__________________
namkcuR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 11:14 PM   #432
The Male
 
LemonMelon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Hollywoo
Posts: 65,789
Local Time: 08:01 AM
Hahaha I'm not going to tell her no. I need to night to organize the lists and set the schedule up anyway.
__________________


Now.
LemonMelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 11:19 PM   #433
ONE
love, blood, life
 
namkcuR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Kettering, Ohio
Posts: 10,286
Local Time: 11:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonMelon View Post
He hasn't done anything to earn that bye in the context of this tournament. Byes are used in accordance with regular season performance. This is a what-have-you-done-for-me-lately kind of tournament. In fact, even the seeding was going to be totally randomized, where I could have easily set it along prior performance. And again, there was only going to be a handful of matches per contestant. Giving one participant a match off would have made it, let's say, 25% easier for them to repeat, which I don't believe is fair. Agree to disagree, I suppose.

In case anyone was wondering, DI groups in a ranking system are set on a first-sent-first-serve basis. I think LMP and I will be the first two discussed.
That's a fair point. I just really want polls instead of rankings this time. In case you hadn't noticed.

Just brainstorming, but what if we just did it survivor-style? Like, first post two(or however many you decide on) lists a week for people to listen to and discuss, and then at the end, after all the lists of have been listened to and discussed, instead of rankings, just do a survivor. That would work regardless of whether it's an even or odd number of contestants. If it's 19 people, it's an 18 day survivor.

There are no fairness issues there that I can see, and it would be pretty simple to run for you. Obviously there's not really a need if Bonnie gets her list in, but if we're left with 19, it's an alternative.

Just an idea.
__________________
namkcuR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 11:27 PM   #434
The Male
 
LemonMelon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Hollywoo
Posts: 65,789
Local Time: 08:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by namkcuR View Post
That's a fair point. I just really want polls instead of rankings this time. In case you hadn't noticed.

Just brainstorming, but what if we just did it survivor-style? Like, first post two(or however many you decide on) lists a week for people to listen to and discuss, and then at the end, after all the lists of have been listened to and discussed, instead of rankings, just do a survivor. That would work regardless of whether it's an even or odd number of contestants. If it's 19 people, it's an 18 day survivor.

There are no fairness issues there that I can see, and it would be pretty simple to run for you. Obviously there's not really a need if Bonnie gets her list in, but if we're left with 19, it's an alternative.

Just an idea.
This is an interesting idea, but an extra month of polls after the main listening portion is going to wear people out.

In fact, while we're on the topic, would you guys prefer 2 or 3 lists per listening thread? If we do 3 per, it'll take 6 weeks. That seems like a lot, but it's actually about the same as always.
__________________


Now.
LemonMelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 11:27 PM   #435
Blue Crack Supplier
 
lazarus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Los Angeles, California
Posts: 37,992
Local Time: 08:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobl04 View Post
Have spoken with Bonnie via FB, she has been very busy with work, study and life, "fuck off" is a little strong, man. She hasn't been able to check back in. She's uploading her list to Grooveshark and will let me know tomorrow if it's going to get up.
Well, it's not like participation was mandatory. If someone doesn't think they have time for the project, let one of the alternates have a chance.


Quote:
Originally Posted by namkcuR View Post
What's the hurry? Why is it such a big deal if we have to wait a couple more days?
Why have a deadline at all, then?
__________________

__________________
lazarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:01 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com