Desert Island X: Rules and Signup Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
good dubstep?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KJZ13SyRXhU

or bad dubstep?

SkrillexNeroDiplo.jpeg

There is not such thing as "good dubstep." It's not a real thing.

Sent from my iPad using U2 Interference

What if "good dubstep" (UK) and "bad dubstep" (US) are fundamentally nothing alike?

I know that, but they've both been, for the most part, categorised under the label of dubstep, a term that has been rendered relatively meaningless.

Overgrown was a completely different record to his self-titled anyway.

Lemel, asking a purely theoretical question. Obviously, the spirit of Desert Island is to use officially released tracks because conversations about "THIS IS THE ABSOLUTE BESTEST VERSION OF CHAMPAGNE SUPERNOVA, PERFORMED IN BRUGES IN 1996 YOU FUCKING SCRUB" are kind of asinine.

But a number of bands have begun the process of releasing all of their live concerts in a sort of official bootleg series. (such as the Live Phish series.) Does that mean that any of the tracks officially released in this manner could be used within DI?

Yuss, but the question is whether that would be a specifically constructed official release (a la a live album) that is released in stores, promoted, or whether it can also be part of an official bootleg series that is only available to that niche fan.

Lemel, asking a purely theoretical question. Obviously, the spirit of Desert Island is to use officially released tracks because conversations about "THIS IS THE ABSOLUTE BESTEST VERSION OF CHAMPAGNE SUPERNOVA, PERFORMED IN BRUGES IN 1996 YOU FUCKING SCRUB" are kind of asinine.

But a number of bands have begun the process of releasing all of their live concerts in a sort of official bootleg series. (such as the Live Phish series.) Does that mean that any of the tracks officially released in this manner could be used within DI?

As those releases are officially recognized by the band itself, I see nothing wrong with using them. Hell, they're not free. It's a bitch to make a live track fit, but it's totally within the rules to use them. Same deal with fanclub releases.

Whose alt are you?

:hmm:

i like dubstep, both the original UK variety and the americanized "brostep." my playlist will have some chillstep, which is basically just the same 140bpm half time tempo as dubstep but not so much with the wubs. atmospheric, melodic stuff. you wouldn't know it was actually a sub-genre of dubstep if i didn't tell ya :wink:

LM, just to make sure: are collaborations counted as having a different artist? In other words, can one use, for example, a Wilco track and a Billy Bragg + Wilco track?

LM, just to make sure: are collaborations counted as having a different artist? In other words, can one use, for example, a Wilco track and a Billy Bragg + Wilco track?

Yep, they're counted as separate artists. I remember one year when Irishteen had Morrissey on his list 3-4 times because of that rule.

Yep, they're counted as separate artists. I remember one year when Irishteen had Morrissey on his list 3-4 times because of that rule.

Wait until you see Wilco, Billy Bragg + Wilco, Jeff Tweedy solo, Golden Smog, Loose Fur and Uncle Tupelo show up in my list.

As those releases are officially recognized by the band itself, I see nothing wrong with using them. Hell, they're not free. It's a bitch to make a live track fit, but it's totally within the rules to use them. Same deal with fanclub releases.

Honestly we could probably even remove the rule entirely. Is there really a big deal if somebody wants to use a great quality soundboard recording of their favourite live performance (or shoot themselves in the foot by using shit audience audio)? I think the main reasons for that rule were 1. in the first DI to avoid people just using shit-tonnes of U2 bootlegs, 2. because bootlegs may not have official runtimes, and 3. to add a bit of a challenge. The first reason is irrelevant now, do we really care about the second, and now I feel that allowing people to use what they like to create the best list trumps the third.

I mean, I'd love to use One Tree Hill, 26 December 1989. It's not officially released, not even in the sense of some previous tenuous inclusions (unreleased mixes of songs a band uploaded to an official social media account), but it would probably fit more seamlessly in a list than many official live releases because it's such a pristine soundboard recording.

Back
Top Bottom