Desert Island X: Rules and Signup Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
You know, if you want to avoid excessive polls and avoid people making a ranking of lists at the last minute, here's an idea. Release the lists in groups of four or five or whatever. Open a discussion thread for a week or two or however long you like. At the end of this period, people have to submit a ranking of the songs in the group or get booted from the tournament. So if it's four playlists in a group, ranking of four, allocating up to 30 points, no more than ten per list (or whatever). If you love the lists, use all 30 points; if you think they're pretty weak then just distribute ten or so. Instead of making just one big ranking at the end, you're putting in little ones every fortnight and keeping people involved at regular moments rather than going missing for ages. After the preliminary groups, the top eight on points proceed to quarters, which are a head-to-head vote; winners to semis; winners to finals. Given these are the eight best lists, the polls should attract some interest and there will only be a total of seven so people won't tire of it. You get rankings and polls, it can even accommodate a person or two dropping out.

Just thought I'd put that out there. Feel free to tell me it's daft.

tl;dr but it was axver who suggested it, and he is sort of a pro at coming up with crazy survivor shit. So sure, I'm sure that will be fine.

profilepic70603_1.gif

Good solution, Ax. Let's do it.

But I still think names should be drawn randomly to determine the order(as opposed to going by submission order).

At the end of this period, people have to submit a ranking of the songs in the group or get booted from the tournament.

Assuming you meant "lists" here, but this seems pretty fair.

But I still think names should be drawn randomly to determine the order(as opposed to going by submission order).

This would make it more fair.

Yes, I did mean "lists", and choosing the groups randomly would be the fairest way to go about it.

If we're choosing groups and points are being doled out throughout them, I agree that groups should be randomly assigned. I still need to choose the groups, but everything is gathered into a google doc now with the links and images included. I'll start the master list thread tonight, rather late, when I get home. Sorry that it's going to be so late, but I've got to be on campus until 9 PST.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom