Desert Island X: Master List and Discussion Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Which makes the final 10:

Lazarus
Padj
LemonMelon
bono_212
Phanan
Liamcool
PhilsFan
cobl04
LJT
The Sad Punk

Congratulations to those that made it through. :up: We'll be back on Monday afternoon for round 1 of the first ever Desert Island Survivor. At 3 days per poll, we'll have our overall winner in a month.

At least this way there's a set deadline. One reason I prefer polls. No fluidity.

About a month ago, YLB was curious to know how many short lists (let's define them as <100 minutes) went through. Let's do the math.

First of all, the overall number of <100 minute lists was higher than ever, with 9 lists of that length being submitted vs. 11 lists of 100 minutes or greater. This is a big change from the norm.

Performance-wise though, not so great at this point. Only 2 out of 9 shorter lists (Liam and LJT) made it through to the finals (22%). If the overall odds of a shorter list making it through is 9/20 or 45%, that's very poor. Longer lists had an 11/20 or 55% chance of being represented and 8/11 (73%) made it through.

So while contestants are more likely than ever to make shorter lists, voters still tend to prefer longer lists, though list length itself probably has a relatively small impact on that.

Last edited:
Congrats to those going through. Neils and LMP, for whatever it's worth, you had my favorite playlists. Shame neither of them are moving on.

Yours is another I'm sad to see didn't go through. You did something really cool and I loved it a lot.

Let's blame Glenn Miller :wink:

I acknowledge that it's at least partially my fault that LMP wasn't around to vote. That really fucked him over in the end.

Then again, if I know his music taste, he would have loved Bonnie's list and the result may have ended up the same.

Def bummed about YLB as well, and namkcuR's all-female extravaganza. But by not voting they did kind of dig their own graves.

Regardless, and not to sound cheesy, but the real reward is getting to expose people to music they didn't know, and provide a pleasurable and/or interesting listening experience. I think everyone succeeded in that way to one extent or another.

So, bravo and thanks to all.

I think a sign of a successful playlist to me is that it gets even one participant into an artist they hadn't heard of before, I'm not too concerned about points.

Indeed.

Well done everyone.

How will the survivor match-ups be determined?

No matchups, it's a survivor like all the others we've done. 10 to 1, vote for your least favorite until it's out.

Last edited:
I think a sign of a successful playlist to me is that it gets even one participant into an artist they hadn't heard of before, I'm not too concerned about points.

As far as I'm concerned, you succeeded here. Lots of great stuff I hadn't heard before on your list.

THIRD PLACE, with 52 points (eight less than they would have received if they had not fallen off the face of the earth just in time for their own group :tsk: )...

I said I was sorry :reject: Life got in the way, it happens. I certainly didn't enter the competition with the plan of just disappearing halfway through my own group, believe me.

I said I was sorry :reject: Life got in the way, it happens. I certainly didn't enter the competition with the plan of just disappearing halfway through my own group, believe me.

Oh no, I fully understand, just giving you a hard time. :)

Last edited:
Yeah me too :lol:

I'm actually surprised Joey didn't make it. He had my joint favorite list. namkCur and LMP were also up there.

I'm a little disappointed we're not getting a true last place. I'm selfish, I don't want to share it with all the other last place in their group people. That distinction should be mine and mine alone, Glenn Miller be damned!

:wink:

I'm sure they'll just make a new user name and sign up to play from it next time around.

Yeah it might be a good idea next time to put some sort of post count requirement to sign up. It's beyond shitty to drop a list in here and have everyone listen to it only never to participate in the rest of the tournament.

Yeah me too :lol:

I'm actually surprised Joey didn't make it. He had my joint favorite list. namkCur and LMP were also up there.

Thanks! Disappointed I didn't make it further but I really enjoyed listening to everyone else's lists. Looking forward to the top 10.

Congrats. guys. Especially LM and Bono_212 from my group. That was a tough draw!

A second congrats in a row Bonoz_2122121212121 because...

She fucking won Desert Island X!!

dog.gif

cat.gif

swoop.gif

The hardware, to date:

Phanan - 3 wins (III, IV, IX)
LemonMelon - 2 wins (V, VII)
LMP - 2 wins (I, II)
Screwtape2 - 1 win (VIII)
Mr. V - 1 win (VI)
bono_212 - 1 win (X)

Back