Desert Island X: Group 5 Listening Thread - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Just the Bang and the Clatter
Click Here to Login

Old 12-12-2014, 09:45 PM   #1
The Male

Local Time: 05:33 AM
Desert Island X: Group 5 Listening Thread

I started this one a bit late, so for that reason I'm not expecting any rankings for this group until Monday, December 22nd, which is the de facto deadline for all rankings. At that point, the top 10 will be announced and we will proceed to the second portion of the tournament.

Because of the close proximity to Christmas, I think we'll resume with part 2 after the holidays. Unless you guys think we can successfully run polls during Christmas week, in which case I can reconsider.

Group 5

LJT

I've come to realise that my usual playlists meander quite a bit and well at nearly 2 hours of music they can be a bit tricky to listen to, especially since I eschew more well known artists. This probably makes my lists a bit harder to digest especially if you have limited listening time, it definitely doesn't make it easy to give it repeat listens. For the 10th Desert Island i've just went for a single hour of music that I feel blasts through at a fair clip. There is little in the way of electronica this time which my previous lists have tended to feature quite a bit of. I think at the beginning I set out with the aim of, if IWasBored liked something from my list I would consider it a success! Anyway I would just like to say that i've enjoyed doing these competitions over the years we have been doing them, and it is thanks to them that i've been introduced to some really good music and they continue to do so.

01. Cursive- "Sierra"- The Ugly Organ (3:25)
02. Black Mountain- "Let Spirits Ride"- Wilderness Heart (5:15)
03. Ty Segall- "Feel"- Manipulator (4:15)
04. Manic Street Preachers- "Love's Sweet Exile"- Generation Terrorists (3:29)
05. Afghan Whigs- "John the Baptist"- 1965 (5:35)
06. Cunninlynguists- "Hard as They Come (Act 1)"- Oneirology (4:17)
07. Saul Williams- "Control Freak"- Saul Williams (4:15)
08. PJ Harvey- "A Perfect Day Elise"- Is This Desire? (3:06)
09. Arrows of Love- "The Knife"- Everything's Fucked (4:21)
10. Dinosaur Jr- "It's Me"- Beyond (5.15)
11. Sons and Daughters- "Rebel With a Ghost"- This Gift (3:01)
12. Surfer Blood- "Neighbour Riffs"- Astro Coast (2:08)
13. Ezra Furman- "My Zero"- Dog Days (3:55)
14. Teho Teardo & Blixa Bargeld- "A Quiet Life"- Still Smiling (6:05)

Total 58:22

LemonMacPhisto

THE NAZIS HAVE DISCOVERED TANIS

This music should be played loud!

1. Richard Wagner - “Vorspiel” - Das Rheingold (4:13)
2. Thee Oh Sees - “Toe Cutter / Thumb Buster” - Floating Coffin (3:32)
3. Shannon and the Clams - “The Cult Song” - Sleep Talk (2:52)
4. Tony Molina - “Change My Ways” - Dissed and Dismissed (1:12)
5. Prince - “I Could Never Take the Place of Your Man” - Sign o’ the Times (6:29)
6. HAIM - “Falling” - Days Are Gone (4:19)
7. Talking Heads - “Born Under Punches (The Heat Goes On)” - Remain in Light (5:49)
8. Ariel Pink’s Haunted Graffiti - “Beverly Kills” - Before Today (3:57)
9. Mac DeMarco - “Passing Out Pieces” - Salad Days (2:47)
10. Gil Scott-Heron - “Johannesburg” - From South Africa to South Carolina (4:42)
11. The Shangri-Las - “Remember (Walking in the Sand) - Remember (Walking in the Sand) [Single] (2:43)
12. Angelo Badalamenti - “Dance of the Dream Man” - Music from Twin Peaks: Original Soundtrack (3:42)
13. The Replacements - “Androgynous” - Let It Be (3:12)
14. Ike & Tina Turner - “River Deep, Mountain High” - River Deep Mountain High (3:36)
15. Blood Orange - “Champagne Coast” - Coastal Grooves (4:52)
16. Kanye West - “I Am a God (ft. God)” - Yeezus (3:52)
17. Wu-Tang Clan - “Can It Be All So Simple (Radio Edit)” - Can It Be All So Simple [Single] (4:12)
18. The Flamingos - “I Only Have Eyes for You” - I Only Have Eyes for You [Single] (3:15)
19. Nina Simone - “Sinnerman” - Pastel Blues (10:22)

Total Time: 1:19:33, or 79:33

Vlad n U 2

Songs That I Gone and Liked

1. Underworld - "Juanita/Kiteless/To Dream of Love" - Second Toughest In the Infants (16:37)
2. Stereolab - "Jenny Ondioline" - Transient Random-Noise Bursts With Announcemenys (18:08)
3. Curve - "Coming Up Roses" - Come Clean (4:32)
4. Smyslovyie Gallyutsinatsii - "Vse izmenietsya" - Sdelano v tiemnotie (4:36)
5. Splean - "Slomano vse" - Noviye lyudi (4:17)
6. Midnight Oil - "Outside World" - 10,9,8,7,6,5,4,3,2,1 (4:22)
7. Kent - "Palace & Main" - Du och jag doden (4:05)
8. Something For Kate - "Easy" - Beautiful Sharks (4:26)
9. Mumiy Troll - "Kosmichieskii desant" - SOS matrosu! (5:22)
10. Myslovitz - "Chlopcy" - Milosc w czasach popkultury (3:58)
11. Mansun - "You Who Do You Hate" - Attack of the Grey Lantern (3:10)
12. Manic Street Preachers - "Misguided Missile" - Futurology (4:20)
13. Lush - "Nothing Natural" - Spooky (5:55)
14. Leftfield - "Storm 3000" - Leftism (5:44)
15. Del'fin - "Vse" - Suschestvo (6:01)

Total runtime: 96:00

The Sad Punk

WE CAN ONLY REMEMBER

The original idea was that this was a conceptual list about two lost loves trying to reconnect after years of being apart, whether in tiny country town or post-industrial urban mass, through sticky dance floors, mysterious tragedy and exile on the lonely highway fueled by am radio, all in the realm of flashing memories interpreted through contemporary artists and their influences, but in the end I am basically just gonna say that Snap is an underrated font.

1. Okkervil River – “Down Down the Deep River” – The Silver Gymnasium – 6:33
2. Saint Etienne – “Hug My Soul” – Tiger Bay – 4:15
3. Michael Jackson – “Remember the Time” (New Jack Jazz Mix) – Visionary – 5:08
4. Dornik – “Something About You” – Something About You – 3:47
5. The Internet – “You Don’t Even Know (Ft. Tay Wa)” – Feel Good – 4:58
6. Wave Racer – “Streamers” – Streamers – 3:31
7. Miami Horror ft. Alan Palomo – “Holidays” – Illumination – 4:27
8. Anamanaguchi – “Prom Night” – Endless Fantasy – 3:48
9. Yellow Magic Orchestra – “Behind The Mask” – Multiplies – 3:3
10. Tkay Maidza – “Switch Lanes” – Switch Tape – 3:16
11. Cut Copy – “Free Your Mind” – Free Your Mind -5:18
12. Vic Mensa – “Down On My Luck”- - 3:30
13. Le1f – “Go In (produced by Morri$) – Dark York -3:30
14. TNGHT – “Higher Ground” - - 3:19
15. Bear in Heaven – “The Reflection of You” – I Love You, It’s Cool – 4:19
16. Twisted Wires – “Half Lives” – After Dark 2 – 4:39
17. Janet Jackson – “Empty” – The Velvet Rope – 4:32
18. A Gap Between – “Neon Signs” – Summer Night-Runner – 3:32
19. Blood Orange – “High Street” – Cupid Deluxe – 2:58
20. Prince - “When Doves Cry (Single Mix)” - The Hits/Purple Rain – 3:48
21. How to Dress Well – “Words I Don’t Remember” – What Is This Heart? – 6:18
22. Kanye West ft. Mr. Hudson – “Paranoid – Video Version” – 808s and Heartbreak/Paranoid – 4:46
23. Autre Ne Veut – “Ego Free Sex Free” – Anxiety – 4:03
24. Danny Brown – “Clean Up” – Old – 3:02
25. The War On Drugs – “Red Eyes” – Lost In The Dream – 4:58
26. America – “Ventura Highway” – Homecoming – 3:33
27. The Isley Brothers – “Voyage to Atlantis” – The Essential Isley Brothers – 4:30
28. Aretha Franklin – “Ain’t Nothing Like The Real Thing” – Let Me In Your Life – 3:51
29. Sarah Vaughan – “Midnight Sun” – Ballads – 5:36
30. Glen Campbell – “Galveston” – Galveston – 2:42
31. Bruce Springsteen – “Born to Run” – Born to Run – 4:31

Now.
LemonMelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 10:08 PM   #2
The Male

Hey, look! It's LMP's cover art.

Now.
Old 12-12-2014, 11:29 PM   #3
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 08:33 AM
Desert Island X: Group 5 Listening Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonMelon View Post
I started this one a bit late, so for that reason I'm not expecting any rankings for this group until Monday, December 22nd, which is the de facto deadline for all rankings. At that point, the top 10 will be announced and we will proceed to the second portion of the tournament.

Because of the close proximity to Christmas, I think we'll resume with part 2 after the holidays. Unless you guys think we can successfully run polls during Christmas week, in which case I can reconsider.

Not sure if I missed something. How will polls go with 10 players moving on? You do five head to head polls, but then you have five players left. How would that work?

When Axver first suggested this approach, he mentioned a Top 8, which made sense - quarters, semis, final. That doesn't work with 10.

EDIT: unless we were giving the top 2 point scorers from the first portion byes?

EDIT 2: or is it World Cup style with 2 groups of 5, and then the top 2 from each group move on?

EDIT 3: or perhaps I'm fucking overthinking this shit.
Old 12-12-2014, 11:56 PM   #4
The Male

You're the first to ask. We're mixing things up and doing a survivor.

Voting should take two weeks: 9 polls, three days a piece. Personally, I think the finals will turn out great. All the fun of unveiling the rankings, plus our own twist on a survivor. Something there for everyone.

Now.
Old 12-13-2014, 12:13 AM   #5
Blue Crack Addict

I like it. Hopefully our participation numbers will be good. We've had about five or six people whose appearances in the review threads have been spotty, and a few who haven't been around at all.
Old 12-13-2014, 12:17 AM   #6
The Male

If the participation in the first poll is poor, we can make some adjustments along the way and allow more time for voting. As it stands, I think it provides the most potential discussion, as well as LOTS of time to listen to the lists if one hasn't already. It's very helpful to have all of the lists in front of you as a reminder.

Now.
Old 12-13-2014, 12:31 AM   #7
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 09:33 AM
LJT's list apparently exists in this form to appeal to me, so it's kind of fitting that it's in my top 3 or so for best lists i've listened to so far. i've been hypercritical of being forced to listen to hip hop in the past, but given that one of the two tracks here is saul fucking williams, it is totally cool. list starts off rocking it does not fuck around at all, and it stays badass throughout (except for those last two songs, but they were alright). and i think i like this one best of the pj harvey songs everyone's included this round (which i think we should call DI 10: PJ Harvey Fans and Other People).

i thin i'm supposed to be angry at LJT for spotty appearances in these threads or something, but i liked his list to much for that.
Old 12-13-2014, 02:10 AM   #8
Blue Crack Addict

Let me just state for the record that I will be in on all deadlines. I am writing up a review of Cobbler's list soon and listening to iYup shortly thereafter before heading in to this group which should take a reasonable amount of time. I need to re-do my Group 1 rankings along with the rest of my rankings but they will all be there.
Old 12-13-2014, 08:12 PM   #9
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 07:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by IWasBored View Post
list starts off rocking it does not fuck around at all, and it stays badass throughout
Absolutely this.

LJT, I have been a big fan of your lists since I have been involved with DI, and this one was no exception. The pacing was superb, and it left me wanting more, which is very rare with these lists. That Arrows of Love track was harrowing in its intensity - a real highlight. The closing track also built toward something of a morose coda, which I thought was an appropriate way to end this thing. Ty Segall also delivers, and reminded me that I need to hear Manipulator in full before the year is out. The explosion toward the end of the Afghan Whigs track is another example of a positive surprise this list throws at the listener. Bravo.
Old 12-14-2014, 11:50 AM   #10
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

LMP: What I always appreciate about your lists is the dexterity with which they bounce among genres. I'm about 2/3 of the way through right now, and we've already seen indie rock, classical, jazz, hip-hop, soul, and probably a few others. That they come together seamlessly is the most impressive thing. Favorites thus far were the Shang-ri-las and The Replacements (the first track of theirs I have really enjoyed). The pacing on this thing has been great as well.
Old 12-14-2014, 12:22 PM   #11
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

...and it ended just as strong as it began. I especially like the Blood Orange - Kanye transition, and the Flamingos track was a nice, sedate interlude to an otherwise intense list. This is among my frontrunners for the competition so far.
Old 12-14-2014, 01:09 PM   #12
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Hey, look! It's LMP's cover art.

Good, I spent time on that shit.
Old 12-14-2014, 03:36 PM   #13
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by iron yuppie View Post
LMP: What I always appreciate about your lists is the dexterity with which they bounce among genres. I'm about 2/3 of the way through right now, and we've already seen indie rock, classical, jazz, hip-hop, soul, and probably a few others. That they come together seamlessly is the most impressive thing. Favorites thus far were the Shang-ri-las and The Replacements (the first track of theirs I have really enjoyed). The pacing on this thing has been great as well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by iron yuppie View Post
...and it ended just as strong as it began. I especially like the Blood Orange - Kanye transition, and the Flamingos track was a nice, sedate interlude to an otherwise intense list. This is among my frontrunners for the competition so far.
Thanks, dude. Imposing a 1-disc restraint helped in the decision-making process on what to include vs. not. I've been making monthly mixes since March '13, and this list was essentially a Best Of with a musical throughline in lieu of a narrative one.

I'm curious how folks will compare list lengths when it comes down the run-off voting next round.
Old 12-14-2014, 09:07 PM   #14
Vocal parasite

Local Time: 12:33 AM
Quote:
You're the first to ask. We're mixing things up and doing a survivor.

Voting should take two weeks: 9 polls, three days a piece. Personally, I think the finals will turn out great. All the fun of unveiling the rankings, plus our own twist on a survivor. Something there for everyone.
Ah this should be cool!

I haven't had time to listen to lists so far - I've been catching up on 2014 albums when I've had time to sit down and focus on new music. I was aiming to check out the contenders for the finals... though I fear those I like the most on paper may not make it through.

And I'd definitely not run polls over Christmas. Past experience suggests this forum is a ghost town.

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Axver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 09:23 PM   #15
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMP View Post
I'm curious how folks will compare list lengths when it comes down the run-off voting next round.
For me at least, a shorter list is generally a more effective one in getting a mood across and keeping my attention. There is value in editing.