Desert Island X: Group 5 Listening Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Apparently I didn't post my review of Vlad's list. I guess my intention had been to do so when I finished Bonnie's list, which obviously never happened.

A few songs I marked down as favorites: The Underworld song, Vse izmenietsya (which actually reminded me quite a bit of 90s U2) and Chlopcy. I was hugely into all of those. In general, the whole list was very solid, and I really had a great time while listening. I don't honestly remember how I felt about your last list, but if my gut reaction is correct, I find this to be a huge improvement for me from the last one. :up:

So what's the point system again for ranking groups? Will send mine today

Your own group:

Max: 8
Min: none
Total: 0-18
DO NOT INCLUDE YOURSELF

Other groups:

Max: 8
Min: none
Total: 0-24

Last edited:
This group is by far and away the most even. 1st place has 48 points and 3rd and 4th place is tied with 45 points. There is a #1 and #2, but it wouldn't surprise me to see everything tied up by the end.

Last edited:
I haven't had time to do write-ups on these, but I have listened to everything, and sent in my rankings tonight.

I will definitely give more feedback, but for the moment I just wanted to say that the transition between Wagner and Thee Oh Sees was perhaps my favorite moment of the tournament, and I laughed out loud from giddy, WTF surprised joy, much in the way I did seeing Yoda fight for the first time at the climax of Attack Of The Clones. Sorry that YLB isn't around to read this. :sad:

More to come...

Not rushing through the lists themselves but rushing a bit through the reactions.

YLB: A very strong list with great song selection that seems just about the right length with where it's going. Having watched the first season of Twin Peaks this year I can now appreciate that song's use in this list. Definitely some stuff that has me wanting to check out more artists.

Sad Punk: A very groove-heavy list that has some really soulful moments in parts, though some of the moments seem rather distant because of the production style the list tends toward. Still, well constructed and relatively consistent throughout. As has been noted, the opening is a strong stretch in this list.

More to come.

Forgot to review Bonnie's list, but I really loved listening to it. Some portions didn't grab me, like near the middle, and TNGT are just the worst, but I loved the intro and I found the closing section unexpected and very surprising that it worked out in the end.

Vlad's list had some really cool songs on it. I'm not sure how much of it I will return to given that lyrics are a big part of my interest in music and half of this is in other languages, but there were strong tracks in the middle. Can't say I was much of a fan of the lengthy opening duo, though.

LJT's is one that could have used a little more length I think. That would have allowed him to try a couple other sounds. Not every short list feels short, but this one did. That said, he finds some good songs in the chosen mode and it flows nicely.

It really seems possible that this group might end with a tie (or two) at the top. If that is the case, the tiebreaker will be the highest number of #1 placements within that group.

Still haven't received Phanan's rankings, so it may come down to him.

Last edited:
Received. I'll be bumping the master list thread in a few hours and will be using that to announce the results.

Finished this on my way to work this morning. I'll try to post the remaining writeups soon. Will submit my rankings now.

Good job, y'all. This was fun.

Edit: Damnit. I just realized I missed the deadline while I was travelling. Oh well.

loved your list LJT. I have no issue with a list running for an hour, and I enjoyed this more than several of the longer lists. the Afghan Whigs track was so good, definitely one of my favourite moments from this competition. Saul Williams sounded like Tunde Adebimpe in parts, great song. The Knife was fucking great, as was Dinosaur Jr. And I absolutely loved A Quiet Life, any more music like that I could check out? great job.

I also enjoyed your list a lot Vlad, although tracks 4 and 15 didn't work. Awesome guitar at points in the Splean track. Kent was great, and it segued so perfectly into a great Something for Kate song. You should keep checking them out by the way, particularly their earlier albums, you'll love them.

Back
Top Bottom