Desert Island X: Group 5 Listening Thread - Page 4 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Just the Bang and the Clatter
Click Here to Login

Old 12-29-2014, 07:05 PM   #46
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 03:19 PM
Thank you, I will educate myself in a little bit.

Old 12-30-2014, 09:40 AM   #47
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 06:19 PM
LJT:

I've generally enjoyed your DI submissions, because you tend to include a lot of great stuff that I am unfamiliar with, and this one is no exception.

Really dug the Black Mountain song. The lead vocalist sounds like someone I've heard before, but I can't put a finger on it. Nevertheless, thought that was really good.

I'll echo comments regarding Saul Williams. Apparently another artist I should look into. Reminded me of TVOTR.

Another Cunninlynguists track that I liked.

Probably the only thing I didn't care for was the final song, and while it was ok as a closer, I thought it was a bit low key compared to the rest of the playlist. I would have liked to have seen something more uptempo to end things.

I also think this could have been a few songs longer. Not saying it had to be extended significantly or anything, but this was great to listen to and seemed like it ended a lot earlier than it had to.

But those are minor gripes for what was otherwise a refreshing and well done entry.

Old 12-31-2014, 09:22 AM   #48
Blue Crack Addict

LMP:

This has a little bit of everything, which I guess is what you were going for. It was a bit all over the place, and while most of the songs were good, it never really developed a good flow for me and the transitions at times were rough. You kept it a bit short which helped.

I personally didn't like the transition from Wagner to Thee Oh Sees, but it sure was unique.

One of the best Prince songs ever. In fact, tracks 5-7 was probably my favorite part of this.

Nice selection of older tunes by Shangri-La's, Ike & Tina, and The Flamingos.

15-17 was also a very strong run, and I liked how you closed it out.

So not bad - I've enjoyed some of your other entries more, but your cover art wins.
Old 12-31-2014, 11:25 AM   #49
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

LMP: This was delightful. I'm not sure how you managed to fit this wide range of genres in a playlist, but it worked. The Das Rheingold ouverture is probably my favorite piece of music, any genre, so I was happy to see it there (I saw it at the Met a couple of years ago and hearing that crescendo live was the most transcendental artistic experience I've had). A Wagner -> Thee Oh Sees transition is a bold idea, but somehow it worked fine (I think the bass line in Toe Cutter helped, as it has a minor connection to the bass-heavy beginning of Vorspiel). The pop/funky section with Prince/HAIM/Talking Heads/Ariel Pink worked great, and the mid-section felt a bit like a Broadway musical, in a good way. The Flamingos and that Nina Simone song (very uncharacteristic for her, by the way) was a great way to end. One of my favorite playlists so far.
Old 01-05-2015, 03:44 AM   #50
The Male

I've been doing updates in the most recent discussion thread, so I'm answering IWB's question here as I figure more people will see it:

Everything is updated and tallied with each list I receive so, theoretically, I'm ready to announce the top 10 at any time. I have not, however, received any new group rankings for a little while now so I think it's about time to proceed.

Would you guys like me to set the new rankings deadline for Friday or the Monday after that? I know some regulars to these threads need a bit more time, but it's time to get this going.

Now.
LemonMelon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 05:00 AM   #51
Blue Crack Supplier

Agreed.

Ideally I would have liked to write up the rest of the lists and give feedback as I'm done listening to everything, but I really only need like an hour to review and make my rankings.
Old 01-05-2015, 07:00 AM   #52
Blue Crack Addict

I've listened to everything now. I'll post my last two reviews and submit my rankings later today.
Old 01-05-2015, 07:05 AM   #53
The Male

Cool.

I may send out PMs to others who haven't submitted and that would help me size up the current timeline. I would like to have the top 10 out Friday and start the voting Monday, but it may be possible to do it sooner.

Now.
Old 01-05-2015, 12:58 PM   #54
Blue Crack Distributor

I'm on my last list as well. Had been halfway through Bonnie's when work stuff interrupted early last week, and just never had a chance to get back to it.
Old 01-05-2015, 04:35 PM   #55
Blue Crack Addict

Vlad:

Quite the formidable start with two tracks that total over 30 minutes combined. I thought the Underworld track was the better of the two; I like how it changed direction on more than one occasion, which kept me focused throughout. Stereolab didn’t hold my attention nearly as well, however.

After that double shot, I generally enjoyed the remainder of the playlist. Midnight Oil -> Kent -> Something For Kate was a particular highlight for me. The foreign (to me) tracks were interesting and worked very well within the overall flow, even if they might not be things I would revisit very often.

Thought the last few tracks went well – Lush was great to hear, and the closer was awesome.

Really unique entry where I didn’t know almost anything on it, yet it was a really good listen. A nice change of pace.
Old 01-05-2015, 04:36 PM   #56
Blue Crack Addict

SP:

So I started listening to this and it was off to a great start, and then I went a few tracks that I didn’t really like and was starting to wonder if the first two songs would be the best thing about this. But starting with that Holidays song, this playlist was a real treat to listen to. Man, I loved some of those jams during that initial span.

Maybe it’s because it is such a well known monster hit, but I wasn’t sure that When Doves Cry fit in well there, but obviously didn’t mind it (although the album version is better).

And then you shifted gears with War On Drugs, and, of all things, America. Fuck, even Glen Campbell made an appearance.

Wrapping up with Born To Run after starting with Okkervil River added a nice symmetrical twist the whole thing.

This is probably my favorite entry of yours. I liked it that much.
Old 01-05-2015, 05:41 PM   #57
The Male

Alright, I've decided on a rankings deadline of Thursday at 11:59 PM PST. If you don't have your rankings for your own group sent to me by then, you will lose 8 points off of your score. There are no such penalties for failing to rank the other groups, but every point counts, so I encourage everyone to participate.

The top 10 will be announced Friday afternoon and the survivor for those 10 will begin the following Monday.

Now.
Old 01-05-2015, 05:45 PM   #58
Blue Crack Distributor

You might want to send that out as a PM, just in case. People might miss it here.
Old 01-05-2015, 05:56 PM   #59
The Male

I said I would like five posts back.

Now.
Old 01-05-2015, 06:08 PM   #60
Blue Crack Distributor