Desert Island X: Group 4 Listening Thread - Page 9 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Just the Bang and the Clatter
Click Here to Login

Old 01-07-2015, 11:26 PM   #121
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 12:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by IWasBored View Post
afliktor's mix....dubstep can go die in a fire. i'll pass this along to my housemate, he loves that nintento bullshit ( i can fucking hear mario drowning in the bonobo track, this makes even mogwai unlistenable in this context). no points to this giant turd of a list, and it rubs me the wrong way that i'm expected to suffer through a minute of something like this when AB/collapse/afliktor/whatever the fuck name they'll make up for next competition shows no evidence that they're interested in actually participating past dropping deuces like this into the mix (read: not a single post in the discussion threads for the previous groups indicating that they listened to anyone else's lists and were interested in playing along).

Late to the game here but was reviewing all the lists before ranking and I just wanted to throw my 2 cents in here:

Why the fuck is IWB the only one who called this person out? It's bad enough to participate and then disappear without commenting on anyone's else's entries. But what I want to know is WHY IS THERE A TRACK CREDITED TO "AFLIKTOR"? And also ONE OF THE OTHER TRACKS IS AN AFLIKTOR REMIX?? WHAT. THE.

Is this a DI first? Someone including a song they recorded, as well as a personal remix?

Sorry, but this is like the most narcissistic thing I've seen on here in a while.

Old 01-07-2015, 11:34 PM   #122
The Male

It's not a first. I made a list from scratch specifically for DI that parodied some of the genres that get overused in these competitions. It also had a labored, long-winded expository short story attached.

But yeah, I agree that it's pretty narcissistic to slip your own music in without even offering an explanation as to why, while simultaneously not giving other lists the time of day. It's technically not against the rules because they were loosened for DI10, but it's pretty lame.

Now.
LemonMelon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 11:37 PM   #123
Blue Crack Supplier

Since I'm talking about that playlist, I really should comment on the other two I didn't get around to writing up let (I posted my comments on Peef's earlier).

Cobbler: a very personal list, as always, and it's hard not to be won over by your contagious enthusiasm. You put a lot of work into this and it shows. Some of the music (particularly in the first half) isn't really my bag, but it definitely wasn't boring. Strong finish with John Hopkins (an artist I wasn't familiar with) and an great Eno track that probably doesn't get mentioned enough.

iYup: At first, this felt was similar to the "homogenous" lists contributed by IWB's "Roots & Boots", and Gump's "No Depression". I appreciated you using some less obvious track from big artists, like Hendrix's Red House, Dylan's Meet Me In The Morning, the Zeppelin and Stones tracks, etc. But in the second half you really started to wading into more interesting waters, and I thought that was a great move; I really loved hearing some old standards and jazz. I could nitpick and say it would have been nice to hear something else from Glenn Miller other than his biggest hit, but the strangeness of hearing that music on a DI list made up for it. Nice work.
Old 01-07-2015, 11:53 PM   #124
45:33

Local Time: 07:21 PM
Thanks heaps man, really appreciate that

Becalmed might be my favourite song on a tremendous album.
Old 01-08-2015, 11:13 AM   #125
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 02:21 AM
Thanks for the feedback, Laz. I'm actually surprised at the amount of recognition for the Glenn Miller track - I thought people would have heard it somewhere before but not have known the details of the artist etc.

Re: Dylan - As I've dug through his catalogue, I've been astounded by how excellent a bluesman he is. He treats the standards faithfully but uniquely and can write a straight-up blues number as well as anybody.
Old 01-08-2015, 01:03 PM   #126
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazarus View Post
Late to the game here but was reviewing all the lists before ranking and I just wanted to throw my 2 cents in here:

Why the fuck is IWB the only one who called this person out? It's bad enough to participate and then disappear without commenting on anyone's else's entries. But what I want to know is WHY IS THERE A TRACK CREDITED TO "AFLIKTOR"? And also ONE OF THE OTHER TRACKS IS AN AFLIKTOR REMIX?? WHAT. THE.
Oh shit, were those tracks actually made by him/her? I just assumed the poster had taken the username from a band he/she really liked.
Old 01-08-2015, 01:04 PM   #127
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonMelon View Post
It's not a first. I made a list from scratch specifically for DI that parodied some of the genres that get overused in these competitions. It also had a labored, long-winded expository short story attached.
I thought there was a rule that the music had to have been officially released somewhere?
Old 01-08-2015, 02:35 PM   #128
The Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by iron yuppie View Post
I thought there was a rule that the music had to have been officially released somewhere?
There was a loophole that allowed for more obscure releases via band websites/MySpace pages/bandcamps.

Now.
Old 01-08-2015, 03:02 PM   #129
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 04:21 AM
Quote:
Oh shit, were those tracks actually made by him/her? I just assumed the poster had taken the username from a band he/she really liked.
I wasn't sure, but I hated it all just the same.
Old 01-08-2015, 03:05 PM   #130
The Male

I actually didn't think they were original either, but then I looked her name up and found her music on SoundCloud.

Now.
Old 01-08-2015, 03:20 PM   #131
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 04:21 AM
Quote:
Thanks for the feedback, Laz. I'm actually surprised at the amount of recognition for the Glenn Miller track - I thought people would have heard it somewhere before but not have known the details of the artist etc.

Played it in the 5th grade school band (I played the trumpet). It was fun, one of the only pieces we ever played that I liked playing. I regret the fuck out of quitting when I got to 7th grade.
Old 01-08-2015, 03:21 PM   #132
Blue Crack Distributor

It's got to be one of the best known songs from the genre out there, I'd say.
Old 01-08-2015, 05:25 PM   #133
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 03:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonMelon View Post
I actually didn't think they were original either, but then I looked her name up and found her music on SoundCloud.

Yeah, I mentioned it in my review as well. She's on Twitter too.
Old 01-08-2015, 07:35 PM   #134
Blue Crack Addict

Location: deep in absolutely bullshit historical theory/trauma theory
Local Time: 06:21 PM
Yeah, I figured just damning it and shaming it re: points was far more effective than doing the public shaming deal.
Old 01-08-2015, 09:09 PM   #135
Blue Crack Supplier

One can do both!