Desert Island X: Group 4 Listening Thread - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Just the Bang and the Clatter
Click Here to Login

Old 12-06-2014, 10:55 PM   #16
45:33

Local Time: 01:09 PM
I haven't listened to any group threes yet, and given I post a lot, it would have seemed more quiet, but it will pick up again.

Can I also ask that people download my list please. The streaming service I used doesn't work very well.

Old 12-06-2014, 10:58 PM   #17
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 09:09 PM
Your list is all individual tracks and looks like a pain in the ass to download but I will see how well it works.

Old 12-06-2014, 11:19 PM   #18
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 10:09 PM
Yeah the stream seemed really fucked up when I tried to use it (back the first day that LM sent the links out, actually). Despite it being electronic dancey shit, I actually kind of dug what I've heard so far. But I'll download it to get the full listen.
Old 12-06-2014, 11:24 PM   #19
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 08:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by IWasBored View Post
haven't finished iyup's list yet. liked the last blues playlist, and i like this one a lot so far. in the expanded form, i enjoy listening to it span so many bands, decades of music, and technically genres (because glen miller orchestra =/= the stooges, and nick cave's stagger lee =/= other stagger lees) while still essentially being a blues playlist. really well crafted. random thoughts: i've never been much of a white stripes fan (so dead weather>white stripes in that respect didn't really do it for me), but that cover of "stop breaking down" is so dirty. so much awesome.
Did you end up finishing it yet? Thanks, though - glad you enjoyed what you heard.
Old 12-06-2014, 11:55 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by IWasBored View Post
Yeah the stream seemed really fucked up when I tried to use it (back the first day that LM sent the links out, actually). Despite it being electronic dancey shit, I actually kind of dug what I've heard so far. But I'll download it to get the full listen.
yeah a few friends said that. so please everyone, DON'T STREAM MY LIST.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilsFan View Post
Your list is all individual tracks and looks like a pain in the ass to download but I will see how well it works.
you can just click 'download folder', green button in top right, you don't have to download them individually.
Old 12-07-2014, 12:24 AM   #21
Blue Crack Addict

Oh cool. I am bad at technology so I appreciate the tip.
Old 12-07-2014, 12:31 AM   #22
Blue Crack Addict

Location: deep in absolutely bullshit historical theory/trauma theory
Local Time: 12:09 PM
Okay, so Cobbla.

(Full disclosure: I listened to this a couple of weeks ago, so maybe this would be different if I had listened to 10+ lists before digging into this. Some of this doesn't have context! Sorry!)

- First song - vocals are irritating, but necessary TO GET THE PEEPZ ON THE DANCE FLOOR. Minimal music backing. Funky. Corny piano chords, but in that charming way. Neat stuff.

- Segue from Todd Terje to Thundercat was really strong, I felt pretty amped sitting in my room with headphones. Oh Sheit It's X is a fucking terrible title for a song, and I don't think really fits the song. Good bass sounds.

- It's starting to get a little uniform - the needless panning vocals across both ears is a really irritating trick, and something that doesn't fit here.

- Sonically interesting, though. Au Seve is percussive and cool - keeps the vibe going but breaks things up a bit.

- The Ben Pearce track is really claustrophobic, and in a pretty neat way.

- DJ Koze has obviously been listening to a lot of DJ Screw, with the slowed down vocals, drugged out vibe and the way in which the song is manipulated - it sounds like I'm on heavy painkillers. Which is pretty neat, and I think fulfills a lot of the potential hip hop can miss.

- The Outkast track is a poor fit after DJ Shadow. Maybe because I really dug the Shadow track, and just can't get into Outkast? I dunno. Elevators is one of the Outkast tracks I like more, but...

- Sort of an abrupt transition into the Nightlands song. That song builds a beautiful atmosphere, though - really cool slow down ending.

- Hey, that Something For Kate song is pretty great!

- Broken Social Scene can write songs! Too bad they can't keep up the momentum they build in the first half of the song.

- But man, Wilco are a texturally interesting band, but their music without Nels Cline is like someone tapping you on the face with a beige pair of sandals. Tweedy is mad overrated. Same with the Courtney Harnett and Passion Pit songs. Zzz.

- The Flying Lotus track and the Avalanches are these two explosions of sound! They're cool little bursts!

- Love the Jon Hopkins / Brian Eno conclusion. There's a lot going on throughout this playlist, to where it gets a bit exhausting. (Like a good night out, I guess!) Being able to gently come down is really fitting.
Old 12-07-2014, 03:08 AM   #23

Thanks heaps man! A little different to your first review

Quote:
Originally Posted by liamcool View Post
- Segue from Todd Terje to Thundercat was really strong, I felt pretty amped sitting in my room with headphones. Oh Sheit It's X is a fucking terrible title for a song, and I don't think really fits the song. Good bass sounds.
Yeah, that was my favourite transition. Was thrilled with how well that worked. The song title is a perfect fit for the song though, as it's about getting fucked up on ecstasy...

Quote:
- DJ Koze has obviously been listening to a lot of DJ Screw, with the slowed down vocals, drugged out vibe and the way in which the song is manipulated - it sounds like I'm on heavy painkillers. Which is pretty neat, and I think fulfills a lot of the potential hip hop can miss.
I clearly need to check out some DJ Screw. Cool description of the song too, man.

Quote:
- The Outkast track is a poor fit after DJ Shadow. Maybe because I really dug the Shadow track, and just can't get into Outkast? I dunno. Elevators is one of the Outkast tracks I like more, but...

- Sort of an abrupt transition into the Nightlands song. That song builds a beautiful atmosphere, though - really cool slow down ending.
I put the section from Outkast to St Vincent together because I think they all have a similar sound, the woodblock knock in Elevators is aped in Acid Rain, and then the slow drumming in the Nightlands and St Vincent songs.

Quote:
- The Flying Lotus track and the Avalanches are these two explosions of sound! They're cool little bursts!

- Love the Jon Hopkins / Brian Eno conclusion. There's a lot going on throughout this playlist, to where it gets a bit exhausting. (Like a good night out, I guess!) Being able to gently come down is really fitting.
Cheers, I love the ending. I love the FlyLo and Avalanches tracks, that they combine the cacophonous noise with a bit of emotional power as well.
Old 12-07-2014, 03:14 AM   #24
The Male

Local Time: 06:09 PM
I really think Afliktor's list is pretty good. Flows like a dream so far (about a third of the way through) and haven't recognized much while liking it all for the most part. That's a great sign.

Now.
LemonMelon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 04:44 AM   #25
The Male

Section 2 was quite fine, I liked most of it. Flowed great too except for Crystal Ballroom randomly being thrown in the middle there. I can forgive that though because that song is about 30 times more fun than the rest of SOI. Uniform is one of the few post-Silent Alarm Bloc Party songs I enjoy, Untitled is one of my all-time favorite songs.

Three tracks into section 3 and we're finally getting into some AtomicBono shit. On paper, this section isn't my thing at all really. Even Amon Tobin, who after three albums I decided I was a fan of, wasn't really enjoyable to me here. But hey, it's all flowing great and there's still lots of time left. This is a very well put together and cohesive list regardless.

Now.
Old 12-07-2014, 04:51 AM   #26
The Male

This Jez Dior song had a line about badminton in it.

That's really all I have to say about it, it's super boring.

Now.
Old 12-07-2014, 11:17 AM   #27
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobl04 View Post
you can just click 'download folder', green button in top right, you don't have to download them individually.
You need to pay to upgrade to do this so I guess I'll just have to download them individually.

Now I tried to do it individually and it says "Permission Denied."
Old 12-07-2014, 09:25 PM   #28
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

PFan: Let me just say that this list resonated with me for a variety of reasons. The second disc was replete with some of my favorite artists - Tim Hecker, The National, Beach House, Bat for Lashes - and one of my favorite ever songs - Jubilee Street, which is about as cathartic and entrancing as anything I have ever heard. You mention in the description that it's basically about your life, and that personal element comes through strongly. Every so often there is one of these lists where the personal significance is almost palpable, and this one belongs in that category.

There's something of a forlorn quality to it, but it never gets depressing or hopeless; the mood is such that the playlist is actually an experience rather than just a collection of songs. Maybe this is hitting me harder than it will others, because a few of these songs - Jubilee Street and You Were a Kindness - have a great deal of significance to me, to the point where just hearing them brings a fairly strong emotional reaction. So I guess what I'm saying, and it will sound presumptuous I suppose, is that I know well the feeling this list is conveying.
Old 12-07-2014, 09:48 PM   #29
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Also, Cobbler, you might need to reupload your list. As PFan says, it can't be downloaded as a folder without getting a subscription.
Old 12-07-2014, 10:06 PM   #30
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Can I also ask that people download my list please. The streaming service I used doesn't work very well.
Quote:

I tried to do that, but it said I had to have a Mediafire Pro account. Which costs money.

Did anyone get around this?

Also, Friggin' Cobbler for not putting this in a .zip file.