Desert Island X: Group 4 Listening Thread - Page 10 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Just the Bang and the Clatter
Click Here to Login

Old 01-08-2015, 09:14 PM   #136
Blue Crack Addict

Location: deep in absolutely bullshit historical theory/trauma theory
Local Time: 08:10 PM
I know, I know. I just didn't want to be a completely horrid prick?

You're right, though. Fuck that noise.

Old 01-13-2015, 05:15 AM   #137
45:33

Local Time: 09:10 PM
peef! first of all, fuck you. your list has started quite strongly, at a snappy pace, and Phantogram into FlyLo was so good, I'm meant to be the big FlyLo man around here and here you go just slippin a tune in, so fuck you.

i'm up to Stylo i swear you have used this in about 7000 previous DIs.

Old 01-13-2015, 05:48 AM   #138

not sure what to make of that mute mathematics song was a bit weird. segwayed nicely into the antlers which segued even better into this god is an astronaut song. this is real nice so far.
Old 01-13-2015, 10:05 AM   #139
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 05:10 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobl04 View Post
peef! first of all, fuck you. your list has started quite strongly, at a snappy pace, and Phantogram into FlyLo was so good, I'm meant to be the big FlyLo man around here and here you go just slippin a tune in, so fuck you.

i'm up to Stylo i swear you have used this in about 7000 previous DIs.
I actually have a spreadsheet of all the songs I've used so I can refute this concretely. I've never used that song, as I didn't repeat anything with this list. And I made a concerted effort not to use the two artists I had used in all my previous lists (David Bowie and Arcade Fire).
Old 01-13-2015, 05:48 PM   #140

Weird. I feel like a lot of people have used it, though.

This playlist of yours continues to kill. I just had the best ever listening experience to Jubilee Street, have always loved the song but for some reason just now that was the most I've ever dug it. So fucking good. Wasn't too big on Psychopath into Jigsaw but this shit is real good.
Old 01-20-2015, 12:37 AM   #141

More thoughts. Forgive me for my tardiness. I've listened to these but not posted thoughts.

iYup, to use a Cobbler penchant, your list was "not my thing, sorry". It was never bad but it's not really a genre I get a lot of enjoyment out of. A large part of this is due to the similarity of many blues songs. What I did enjoy about this list was that it had quite good range, which kept it from being stagnant, but there is still a subset of blues that, to me, all sounds extremely similar. I'm going to try and explain it, but I'm pretty naive when it comes to the blues so forgive if it sounds stupid.

A good example was Long Distance Call. It's usually a slow blues guitar line, a lyric repeated several times (in this case "you say you love me darlin / please call me on the phone sometime") followed by another line, different, and it's followed by a downward chord progression. The following song Red House follows a very similar pattern, as does Vampire Blues. It's there in plenty of other songs in your list too. (I first noticed it in Pink Floyd's Seamus.) Now if you enjoy that sort of thing, then great, but I find it really tiresome.

But overall I did like it. The start in particular was absolutely thrilling.

I'm still deciding whether or not to listen to Afliktor's list. I feel like I'd really like parts of it but she/he hasn't been seen since and includes two of their songs/remixes in the list.
Old 01-20-2015, 07:07 PM   #142

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobl04 View Post
A large part of this is due to the similarity of many blues songs. What I did enjoy about this list was that it had quite good range, which kept it from being stagnant, but there is still a subset of blues that, to me, all sounds extremely similar. I'm going to try and explain it, but I'm pretty naive when it comes to the blues so forgive if it sounds stupid.

A good example was Long Distance Call. It's usually a slow blues guitar line, a lyric repeated several times (in this case "you say you love me darlin / please call me on the phone sometime") followed by another line, different, and it's followed by a downward chord progression. The following song Red House follows a very similar pattern, as does Vampire Blues. It's there in plenty of other songs in your list too. (I first noticed it in Pink Floyd's Seamus.) Now if you enjoy that sort of thing, then great, but I find it really tiresome.
anyone else feel me here? would be interested to have a discussion.
Old 01-20-2015, 08:40 PM   #143
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 04:10 AM
Thanks for the feedback, Cobbler. I recognized that the similar structure - chord progressions of many of these songs would be a problem to some extent. I tried to get around that by representing what I felt to be different attitudes/moods within the genre, from the depraved, gritty stuff like Nick Cave to the forlorn delta stuff like Son House, the ho-down stuff like Mingus to the soul howler stuff like Tom Waits. I was hoping there would be the structure holding the list together but the interpretations giving it some variety. That was my hope, at least.
Old 01-20-2015, 09:31 PM   #144

I was probably a little harsh in my assessment. The Stooges and Nick Cave at the start was awesome (I actually hadn't heard Stagger Lee, it ruled) and there was an instrumental stretch that started with I think St Louis Blues which was a nice change of pace. Also it was good to put a name to In the Mood, a song I had heard a lot but never knew. And the end was good too, Pay Me My Money Down is a lot of fun and I always like Tom Waits.
Old 01-20-2015, 09:44 PM   #145
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 04:10 AM
No problem if you didn't dig it. No problem at all. My main objective here was to do something different, and I seem to have accomplished that, so I'm fine with the result.