Desert Island X: Group 3 Listening Thread - Page 8 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Just the Bang and the Clatter
Click Here to Login

Old 12-11-2014, 02:36 PM   #106
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 11:06 PM
CIB:

I like Candy Says, but not as an opener. Hell, I don't even like it as the opener to the album it's from!

It's hard to argue with any of the first ten songs. I mean, they are all fantastic. And I thought the transitions were fine. I think someone mentioned The Last Goodbye -> Black Star, and I'll second that as a highlight.

For the second half, I'm glad you mixed things up with some tracks that aren't as familiar to most of us. Local Natives and Eels were great, and I hadn't heard that Longwave song before but really enjoyed it.

That Stars Are Spaceships tune was probably my most disliked thing on here, and I didn't care for the following track, either. But then you closed with five great songs, although like others have stated, I don't think ending with Everybody Hurts was the way to go. Another song there at the end would have been better.

Extra points for including Mojave 3, who I've always liked but don't get discussed too much around here. However, that's canceled out a bit by using the shorter version of Mercy Street. I would have preferred the original there.

This was a very good listen, minus a couple of hiccups for me.

Old 12-11-2014, 02:38 PM   #107
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobl04 View Post
Phanan I also listened to your list today and really enjoyed it. Just when I felt it might be starting to outstay its welcome there was a track that came along that re-energised me. It got off to a great start and that continued through about the first 10 tracks. Highlights were Little Dragon, M83, Kraftwerk, Pet Shop Boys, Chromatics, Cut Copy, although Little Boots made me sad cos all I could think of was Lil Boosie. The next few tracks dragged a bit for me but Information Society and Neon Neon was a killer duo, loved that Raquel track. Goldfrapp just sounded like a cover of Spirit in the Sky. Depeche Mode song was pretty great, although I'd have liked a stronger closer than Metroland, I got what the song was going for but didn't think it quite achieved it. Overall, a great list, and my goodness what flow.
Thanks man.

Old 12-14-2014, 01:57 PM   #108
Refugee

Phanan, I enjoyed your list. If there was a club that played the type of music on your playlist, I'd go there all the time. It was full of really strong dance tunes, but also with an emphasis on live instruments, which I love. Little Dragon and M83 went great together, as did the segment from Cut Copy to Tears for Fears. The playlist lost me a bit around Erasure, but picked right back up again with Metric. It was pretty excellent from there to the end, especially the picks for Chvrches, St. Lucia and Depeche Mode. Fantastic flow all the way through.
Old 12-22-2014, 11:54 PM   #109
45:33

Local Time: 03:06 PM
ALRIGHT finally back to these lists. Sorry for being a tardy cunt. Been a bit busy of late.

namckuR, what is the origin of your name? Is ruckman a position in some American sport? Because it is a crucial position in Australian Rules football. This is Bonnie's favourite player, Nic Nat, on the right, facing up against Paddy Ryder from Essendon.

But anyway, on to your list. I don't have a great deal to say about it other than this - it was a huge slog to get through but there were some really good songs and it flowed well. Geez that PJ Harvey song is great. And wow, Fiona Apple's cover of the song from Willy Wonka was stunning. It had a nice ending.
Old 01-02-2015, 08:02 AM   #110

Listening to CIB's at the moment, have really enjoyed it so far. Might just be the mood I'm in at the moment but just enjoying some good songs. Was at an electronic festival yesterday and the final DJ finished his set with "Dreams" and it was so great so to randomly hear it again here is great.

Up to Last Goodbye at the moment. I actually haven't heard this song before - yes, I know, frigin coblr. Had a quick look at some of the songs you'd used before listening and saw a track from The Bends - for half a second I thought Last Goodbye was Radiohead circa The Bends, and it doesn't sound too dissimilar to Black Star, so very fucking well done there.
Old 01-03-2015, 04:53 AM   #111

Was pretty hit-or-miss from thereon out for me, but overall quite liked it. Not very challenging but it hit the sweet spot for me several times.