Desert Island X: Group 3 Listening Thread - Page 3 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Just the Bang and the Clatter
Click Here to Login

Old 11-27-2014, 04:56 AM   #31
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 06:12 AM
i was going to start talking shit about CIB's complete inability to make even an attempt at a transition between a single track, and then i realized that they were just entirely out of order (i didn't notice until about 6 songs in, because all i looked at was is the 1st song 1st, and it was).

i'll try this again with it in its proper order.

in a lot of ways, CIB and liam's lists are like part 1 and part 2 of a companion list primer for the college freshman who shows up at the campus radio station who doesn't really know a whole lot of music other than what they heard on the radio, or their parents music, or their narrow punk rock background...in other words, it's a lot of the same stuff i figured out pretty quickly my first couple years of college that i was supoosed to know. some of it i did know before (the beatles, husker du, dinosaur jr, rem, fleetwood mac, etc), and then the rest i discovered over time. packaging up these two lists covers like 85% of the more well-known/acceptable because they're not the over-played hits to the standard "college radio" rock music that existed pre-2002 or whenever it was that i started college. it's a lot of familiar territory, where the highlights are pretty much songs i knew i liked before i listened to either list (and the low points, songs i disliked or bands/artists i dislike already and songs i didn't know just confirm that dislike). it's safe, it doesn't challenge me to listen to it, and it's overall decent. nothing i'm going to hate on too hard, and nothing i'm going to rave about how awesome it is either.

Old 11-27-2014, 06:56 AM   #32
Blue Crack Supplier

still not feeling most of these transitions, but they're not absolutely horrible like when i had the thing all jumbled up and out of order.

Old 11-27-2014, 01:36 PM   #33
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 04:12 AM
Phanan: the last third of your list wrapped things up nicely. I was especially glad to hear Purity Ring: that album has held up very well for me over the last few years. Goldfrapp as well is a group that doesn't get enough love around here. Then there's Never Let Me Down Again: this might come across as a ridiculous critique, but that song is so epic and awesome in every conceivable sense that having anything after it seems like a crime. Basically there is no way to follow it up. So even though I liked the last two tracks, they felt unnecessary after Never Let Me Down.
Old 11-27-2014, 03:44 PM   #34
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by iron yuppie View Post
Then there's Never Let Me Down Again: this might come across as a ridiculous critique, but that song is so epic and awesome in every conceivable sense that having anything after it seems like a crime. Basically there is no way to follow it up. So even though I liked the last two tracks, they felt unnecessary after Never Let Me Down.

i have to agree on that song, it rules.
Old 11-27-2014, 07:11 PM   #35
45:33

Local Time: 09:12 PM
Neils did you upload your list anywhere? Would like to download it.

I like that everyone seems to share an opinion of Bright Eyes. That made me laugh.
Old 11-28-2014, 12:01 AM   #36
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 11:12 AM
No I didn't. It's stream only.
Old 11-28-2014, 01:51 PM   #37
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Liam: My favorite thing about this list is the prominence of many artists who are never really mentioned around B&C. I try as much as possible to evaluate these lists on their construction and concept rather than how much they cater to my tastes, and in this case, though many of these artists are not ones I can see myself coming back to, the eclecticism of the list kept me guessing and engaged.

Both sides jumped around quite a bit - not that the transitions didn't work, just that many of them were unexpected. I would never have expected to see a Daryl Hall track pop up on one of these, but there you have it. In terms of flow, Nick Drake seemed misplaced, however great that song is; Nothing But Flowers strikes me as something of an odd choice for a Talking Heads song, but the more that particular band pops up on these, the better. On side two, the Codeine and Silkworm tracks stood to me in particular. The latter was an exceptional closer: downtempo but also appropriately conclusive. Mission of Burma is a band I have been meaning to look into, as they are frequently mentioned alongside Wire, and this track served as a reminder that I should do that sooner rather than later.

All things considered, this was an unpredictable but enjoyable list boasting a few artists I need to explore further.
Old 11-28-2014, 03:25 PM   #38
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 02:12 AM
Alright, namkcuR, you're up.

If anyone were to legitimately call my tastes narrow, this would be the grounds by which to do it. I have a serious problem with female vocalists, for some reason. Not always, but enough that I'm not looking forward to a list which is entirely comprised of the aforementioned. There's a lot of great stuff on here, though, and a lot I'm not familiar with, so let's see how this goes.
Old 11-28-2014, 07:38 PM   #39
Blue Crack Addict

Location: deep in absolutely bullshit historical theory/trauma theory
Local Time: 08:12 PM
I'm in the same boat - so far I'm pleasantly surprised.
Old 11-28-2014, 08:12 PM   #40
The Male

Listening to Nam's list too. Pretty solid transitions but just not feeling most of the tracks. It's not my thing. Things I've really enjoyed: Kate Bush (basically any track she's ever done is a winner in my book), Imogen Heap, Katie Melua (awesome track, got to hear more by her), Cranberries.

On the Love Song cover, which I admittedly hate. You know, Robert Smith uses a lot of makeup, isn't that close enough to a female vocal? Also, this underscores my main problem with the list: it's not getting out of first gear.

Now.
LemonMelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2014, 08:35 PM   #41
The Male

Holy shit, this Patti Smith song is a Because/Maggot Brain mashup.

Now.
LemonMelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2014, 09:13 PM   #42
45:33

Local Time: 09:12 PM
So I'm leaving today for an entire week. I've got RYLA, the camp I volunteer on that I've mentioned a few times. I'm in the next group and would dearly love to be around for group 4, so I am wondering if we could not put that thread up until like the 7th? That's only like one more day than the difference between groups 2 and 3.

It won't affect my listening. I've managed to get through these lists surprisingly quickly actually.
Old 11-29-2014, 02:42 AM   #43
Blue Crack Distributor

I love and hate you for making me listen to anything by Patti Scialfa ever again. The only album Joyful ever threw away.

Lots of great tracks here, some I haven't heard in a while.

Really really didn't like the ending, though, I'm sorry. Those were songs I like on their own, but it just felt like a Golden Age of Cinema greatest hits comp, honestly.

Imogen Heap is the standout here, for me, though, as far as artists I'm only vaguely familiar with, though I have to thank you for reintroducing me to that Garbage track. Hadn't heard it in a long time.
Old 11-29-2014, 05:12 PM   #44
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

I'll never be able to listen to "Something to Talk About" again without thinking of the scene in Step Brothers where Will Ferrell sings it.
Old 11-29-2014, 08:48 PM   #45
Blue Crack Addict

Location: deep in absolutely bullshit historical theory/trauma theory
Local Time: 08:12 PM
Okay, post has been eaten three times now.

namkcuR:

- Beginning is a quote from Laurie Anderson's "From The Air".

- The Celtic stuff of Loreena McKennitt is pretty good!

- Moving is one of my least favourite Kate Bush songs, but it's a pretty effective bridge. And hell, it's Kate Bush. I'm totally unfamiliar with Imogen Heap, but she does some cool stuff with vocal interplay and the rhythmic stuff. Lots of little touches.

- Tori Amos does tribal drumming and wordless chanting? With orchestral backing? Sure. Cool.
And then it turns into oversaturated guitar rock? Cool!

- Holy needless harmony Cranberries.

- Nothing Compares 2 U is still a beautiful song. I don't know what or why that is, but very little sounds like it.

- The transition from Beach House to Lykke Li was pretty expertly done. Too bad the Lykke Li song was one of the most boring I've heard from her.

- Joan Baez makes me want to fall asleep, and not in the good way.

- I really hate the trend of slow acoustic covers of alternative rock songs. It sucks all life out of them. You can't do a folk version of "Teenage Riot."

- I don't care what's going on behind her. Natalie Merchant could sing the phone book and I'd be entranced. Good thing there's a really subtle track behind her, full of cool organ parts and piano barks. Catchy.

- I was expecting Patsy Cline to be interesting.

- I could see myself hearing the Patti Scialfa song on a classic rock station. It's very Springsteen-esque.

- Okay, we're picking up with Patti Smith and Blondie.

- I really need to revisit this Sleater-Kinney album. Same with the HAIM song. They're both just good rock songs that I haven't dug nearly enough into.

- There's some sort of weird processing on Chrissy Hyde's voice, and this weird interaction between the guitars. Some post-punk, some rock and roll. Neat stuff.

- I don't know where the hell that Morissette song came from, but man it is creepy.

- Janelle Monae personifies all the worst aspects of jazz.

- The Supremes, on the other hand, kick ass.

- Alicia Keys is like if you update 50s balladry with modern technology. It's okay.

- I really dug that Lauryn Hill track, but that might be because I've heard snippets of it somewhere else? The post-song vignette is needless, though.

- I guess the biggest criticism I have of the list is that it spends too long in low key territory, and so loses my attention as a result. Whether that's because I'm just not into the genres could be an issue. The theme is good, but I think there could have been more variety involved - there's a lot of weird and interesting music made by women that breaks free of the confines of what's expected of them, and I don't see too much of that here, unfortunately.