Desert Island X: Group 3 Listening Thread - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Just the Bang and the Clatter
Click Here to Login

Old 11-25-2014, 06:55 PM   #16
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 08:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonMelon View Post
It's not so bad so far. It was much more difficult soliciting rankings from everyone than it is determining what the top two is out of a group of four.

Right, but these new rules are slightly confusing, and each time someone asks what to do you're giving them incomplete instructions. Are you telling me that you don't expect anyone to give you a score totaling 24 from a group they're in at this rate?

Old 11-25-2014, 07:04 PM   #17
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 11:08 PM
That would cause me to re-send in my first rankings if so.

Old 11-25-2014, 07:29 PM   #18
Blue Crack Distributor

While this list started with two artists I don't really care much for, at all, it got a lot better, very quickly. I think I've heard something by Hum on a DI list long ago, something with "Green" in the title (I went and checked, it's called "Green to Me"). I loved that song, this one was no different. And I couldn't remember how this Middle Cyclone track went by title alone, but I'm pleased to see it's one of my favorites from the album. I have such good memories attached to this one, because it was from the first year that I really started listening to a lot of new music. Pretty much everything I loved from that year is in a little special place of my heart.

I had some serious trepidations seeing Darryl Hall was going to be on here, but boy that worked really well . I like that you got from Dinosaur Jr. to Nick Drake in about 20 minutes, that was impressive stuff, right there.

Alright, I don't really like the transition from Nick Drake, but I do like the song a lot. Kerosene, I mean.

In general those last three songs were kinda all over the place, but all really good. Love Talking Heads songs that sound like that.

Old 11-25-2014, 07:48 PM   #19
The Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazarus View Post
Right, but these new rules are slightly confusing, and each time someone asks what to do you're giving them incomplete instructions. Are you telling me that you don't expect anyone to give you a score totaling 24 from a group they're in at this rate?
If you're in a group, the max for that group is 18 points.

If you are not in the group, the max is 24 points.

You do not have to give exactly 18 or 24.

The max you can give any individual list, regardless of group, is 8 points. There is no specific minimum.

Sorry for not being sufficiently clear on this to begin with.

Now.
LemonMelon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 07:59 PM   #20
Blue Crack Distributor

Ignore that confused PM I sent you earlier, LeMel, I get it now.
Old 11-25-2014, 08:05 PM   #21
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 10:08 PM
Sorry, one last clarification: we do or don't award points to our own list?
Old 11-25-2014, 08:11 PM   #22
Blue Crack Addict

Location: deep in absolutely bullshit historical theory/trauma theory
Local Time: 02:08 PM
Don't give points to your own list.
Old 11-26-2014, 08:57 AM   #23
Blue Crack Addict

Location: deep in absolutely bullshit historical theory/trauma theory
Local Time: 02:08 PM
Ashley I hope Mr. Bungle didn't weird you out too much. More comments when I'm sober and more people have listened.
Old 11-26-2014, 10:55 AM   #24
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Phanan, I'm only a few songs into your list, but this "Push" song is a revelation.
Old 11-26-2014, 12:29 PM   #25
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by liamcool View Post
Ashley I hope Mr. Bungle didn't weird you out too much. More comments when I'm sober and more people have listened.
It just made me want to die a little, inside.

I didn't like the second half nearly as much as the first. But you included two of my favorite songs, in Pallett and Red House Painters, so that was great. I just don't really have a lot to say, I guess ...>_>
Old 11-26-2014, 01:44 PM   #26
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 12:08 AM
everyone needs a little mr bungle in their lives.
Old 11-26-2014, 01:45 PM   #27
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 12:08 AM
phanan, i'm not going to lie--i'm having a hell of a time making it through your list. m83 song was good. and i know that if i ever wake up one day and decide synth pop is something i actually want to listen to, this is the playlist for me. but truth be told, i don't know if i'll be able to make it through this thing til that imaginary day.
Old 11-26-2014, 02:39 PM   #28
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 11:08 PM
No worries, I figured as much. Certainly the most polarizing entry I've ever had.
Old 11-26-2014, 05:25 PM   #29
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 05:08 AM
I finished your list phanan. I certainly enjoyed it but I did have trouble with some stretches. You'd think that that would occur more frequently during the last part but I probably liked the opening few songs the least. All those songs are fairly good but nothing stood out, apart from Kraftwerk, so it didn't exactly stick with me. M83 was the first track to get me sucked in. It's another song of his I didn't know and another one I absolutely loved. From then on I enjoyed your playlist a lot more. Home and Dry was great as was Stuck on Repeat into We Are Explorers. I'm a big fan of the latest Cut Copy album so everything from it gets a big thumbs up from me. I also liked the Duran Duran track contrary to the one on LM's list. It's actually pretty funny that I listened to your lists back to back, considering the similarities.

The section from Neon Neon, all the way to and including Purity Ring was awesome. I loved the disco and the more contemporary synth pop. Each song was basically a stand-out. After that it got more hit and miss. Fade to Grey (I was familiar with that one then) and the closer were the stand-outs here.

I don't think you pulled off the overdosis of synth pop during the whole length of your playlist but there were lots of great songs on there and that one section I mentioned was perfect.
Old 11-26-2014, 08:44 PM   #30
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Phanan: I'm through the first half or so of your list, and so far I have been impressed with how much ground the list is covering within this synth-driven genre. Kraftwerk is always a good thing, as far as I'm concerned, and The Man-Machine sets the tone well for the somewhat deadpan first stretch of songs. I am partial to this genre, and the first ten or so songs exemplify the reasons why: subject matter can be opaque or even sinister, but those themes are offset by buoyant, vibrant soundscapes. The SPC and Little Dragon tracks stand out in that regard.

Beginning around the Devo track, things get rather frivolous, for lack of a better term: I suspect that was intentional. Erasure IMO is probably the cheesiest band ever to exist (Bono212 will hate me for this, but thank Zeus Vince Clarke left Depeche Mode), but that Duran Duran track manages to be even more campy, especially in the news report outro. That said, I did enjoy those tracks as a contrast to what had come before.