Desert Island X: Group 2 Listening Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Since I'm laptop-bound for now, time to spin nielsgov's list. The way the lead singer in The Streets parades his cockney accent as a badge of honor is a delight. Killer transition to "Banana Clipper." Following a pick-axe with a sledgehammer.

listened to LM's. the one thing that can always be said about LM's playlists in these DI games, is that thematically they always deliver. they're always well-crafted and flow flawlessly. same with the freedom rock list from last time, it's like what those goofy late-night infomercial collections SHOULD be, if they were curated by anyone who actually knows music (rather than just what sold the most records in whatever year they're pushing). structure-wise, excellent as always. music-wise, man, i liked the lights & music playlist over this one. and that was like disco, electronic, and hip-hop. until i got to the pulp track, i felt like i was stuck in a never-ending john hughes movie rather than in bed on a rainy day with a glass of whiskey. i couldn't distinguish the first 10 tracks from each other if i were to hear them again, let alone from every song ever used as the audio to the cheesy montage part.

true to the whole "genres you're not familiar with and not overly fond of all tend to blend together when they persist for too long" theme that's been recurring with the comments on from group 1. it's no coincidence that once we get to the middle of the list, the pulp, rem, modern english, joy division, hoodoo gurus section in particular--where i know the songs--i grow more invested, only to go back to not caring as soon as it all starts to meld together again.

i know not every song on here belongs to that decade i try to ignore (save a few select bands--mainly punk/hardcore + u2/rem/springsteen), but aside from destroyer (there is nothing anyone is ever going to do to convince me they're not awful), i have no idea what else isn't because sonically everything fits so well. it works far better than me tossing morphine into a bunch of old motown, soul, and the odd surf rock instrumental. my only gripe becomes that it works too well, blending into an amorphous blob of 80s sounding tripe, the kind that makes me want to continue to ignore 99.9% of the music released between 1978 and 1991. and at 2 hours and 37 minutes, that's a long time to spend occupying such a narrow soundscape.

did the singer (who has one of the more grating voices i've heard recently) from the associates say something about smashing cats? i swear she/he said they were going to smash another cat. or are we treading in wolf-rape territory again?

I knew I was bound to get a pretty negative review at some point. :lol: Oh well, that's the risk of rolling with one era for a full list. You're going to attract certain listeners and alienate others. But yes, thank you for saying that my lists are late night infomercial compilations done well. No, really, I consider that a major compliment. I wish some DI lists could be packaged and purchased because they would be such a great introduction to certain sounds and eras, more so than the lazy, single-heavy shit that's usually out there in box sets. People in B&C actually give a shit and know what they're talking about.

Anyway, thanks for listening and paying attention to deliver a thorough review (even though much of it blended together for you).

Last edited:
El Mel: Well, I hate to pile on here. I'll start off by saying that in general I'm just not a fan of the era and genre that's been highlighted, but this only applies to the first half of the list approximately.

There were a fair number of songs I was familiar with that I already enjoyed, but I have to agree with IWB in that at times it seemed like a very cliche 80s collection: I Melt With You, More Than This, Bette Davis Eyes, Love Will Tear Us Apart...these are all beyond overplayed. Surprised you didn't throw Tainted Love in there for good measure. And it's odd because with some well-known artists you went a little deeper with less-obvious tracks (Simple Minds, Til Tuesday, OMD, Tears For Fears), and I wish you had done the same with Roxy Music or Pet Shop Boys or Kate Bush.

Now having said all that, I really dug this from The DBs onward, because even with the bands I knew I hadn't heard these particular songs (R.E.M. and Shuttlecock excepted, obvs). I wasn't familiar at all with The Bats, Close Lobsters, Felt, The Chills, Prefab Sprout, and you've given me a lot to explore. And with The Association, you've given me something to definitely avoid! Though you knew that one would be divisive.

So a mixed bag for me in terms of the familiarity and just not being too into the 80s synth pop section, but I can still praise the sonic organization and transitions, which you obviously have become quite the pro at.

Gump: A nice change of pace from the usual lists, and this genre is something that doesn't get featured too often. Aside from Bright Eyes, who I've never been able to stand due to Conor Oberst's voice, there was nothing on here I actively disliked. The homogenous nature did threaten to wear out its welcome, and I think had you stretched this list even to the 90 minute mark this might have been a problem.

One major issue I have, though, is the overuse of Tweedy/Wilco. My previous jokes on the forum aside, I do for the most part enjoy the band. But putting a Wilco, Golden Smog (with Tweedy lead vocal), and Billy Bragg/Wilco collaboration on the same list doesn't seem in keeping with the spirit of the one song per artist rule, even if it's a loophole. And regardless I think Wilco and Billy Bragg/Wilco is a violation anyway. :shrug: I liked all three of these songs so it's not a quality issue, but I wish you had spread this out to more artists. You also double up on Jay Farrar with both Son Volt and Uncle Tupelo tracks and Ryan Adams with his solo work and Whiskeytown. So you essentially have three artists making up almost half of your tracks.

An enjoyable, well-organized listen despite these points of contention. The Drive-By Truckers track was a great discovery, aside from The Bottle Rockets the only artist here I wasn't familiar with.

I respect your opinion (I really do!), but I'm glad I didn't go deep cuts all the way through. My list would have been totally alienating instead of partially had I not picked any familiar hits. At that point, I would be welcoming "I'm not familiar with this and don't like it, so it was one long, uncomfortable drone" comments, which I don't like reading. They bum me out. Plus, it's easy to forget the DI audience isn't totally homogeneous. Gump discovered Bette Davis Eyes through my list, so there you go.

Last edited:
But more importantly, why are cats being smashed by the associates?

Most people seem to think The Associates sound like cats being smashed. :(

I'm going to be reductive and call you all haters instead of accepting criticism. It's what would happen if this discussion were taking place in EYKIW.

Last edited:
So, Nielsgov's notes:

The Arsenal song is pretty catchy. Now what I was expecting based on the song's intro. Really funky.

Lost me pretty badly on the Magnus track, though. Good Mellotron, otherwise, bad Eurodance.

- The Bloc Party song - super energetic! I was not expecting something of this style, nor this peppy, I always thought they were part of the Joy Division clone scene. Quite nice!

- I just can't stand Gorillaz though.

- The Streets track is actually really fucking funny, in a dark sort of way. It unfortunately heralds the rap section of the playlist. I just cannot get into rap, so my opinion here is pretty negative.

- Still is a really hypnotic song. It almost made me doze off, not in a bored way, but just from being so dang relaxed. Yay!

- Struck with Deer Lungs - What the hell is this?! That's really ominous.

Most people seem to think The Associates sound like cats being smashed. :(

I'm going to be reductive and call you all haters instead of accepting criticism. It's what would happen if this discussion were taking place in EYKIW.

No sounds like the lyric was actually smash another cat. Vocals are more like cats being shredded than smashed.

:wink:

Starting Gump's list. Conor Oberst's painfully earnest dying troubadour voice is terrible, but I'm intrigued that this Bright Eyes song isn't musically boring like usual (suffice it to say that I've never been a fan).

Car Wheels on a Gravel Road is a classic album and the title track is wonderful. I used Drunken Angel last DI and it shouldn't be a surprise if I pulled from it at a later date. There's like ten great songs on there to choose from.

More thoughts to come.

Last edited:
Well, Gump's list was really nice, as expected. It felt like its own album, or a label compilation that was skillfully sequenced. Many of the artists present here I had heard an album from before and I like a lot of them (though I hate Bright Eyes and apparently still find Son Volt pretty dull). As far as individual tracks go, Come Pick Me Up and Anodyne are fucking great. I could imagine throwing this list on the way I would any really good alt-country album and enjoying the lion's share of it.

If I have any major complaint, it is, as Laz mentioned, the number of repeat artists. Considering great artists like The Jayhawks (though they are connected to Golden Smog, I guess), 16 Horsepower, Magnolia Electric Co., Emmylou Harris, Steve Earle, anything Jay Munly, etc. went unrepresented, it's disappointing that literally a quarter of the tracks here are related to Jeff Tweedy in some way. And I guess I didn't care for the transition from Okkervil River to Bottle Rockets. That's about it as far as complaints go.

Niels' list is next. I've already heard much of Ashley's list in order so I'm saving that for last.

Last edited:
I've probably seen it done at karaoke like 5 times.

And while it would certainly be more known to Gen Xers, even Peef (who claims to not know a lot of older music) has heard it.

That is the best exchange ever in the history of Interference, right there.

I'm pretty bummed out that I couldn't be the one to use "Bette Davis Eyes" first, now. It was on my songs about girls playlist, but I made up a set of rules that only I cared about, and even though BDE was the first song to be added to the list, I cut it at the last minute, because while it was about a girl, Bette Davis was not the girl in question, and thus her name being in the title was a disqualification. Because I am insane.

Gump: Had a lot of fun with your list. I'm not overly familiar with the genre, but it's something I always love whenever I actually sit down to it. I recently heard that Lucinda Williams album and fell in love with it, so it was awesome hearing something from it in this DI. Another stand out was, surprisingly to me, the Bright Eyes track. Maybe I shouldn't write them off yet. Also really loved The Bottle Rockets and Drive-By Truckers. I vaguely remember that latter track, so I appreciated the reminder of its existence.

The only thing that was kinda weird about this was the way it felt like a long album with some featured guests. Based on the length, and the similar sound, it was super cohesive, but it made it feel like less of a mix tape, at the same time. This is about as weird as me complaining that Five Guys hamburgers taste too much like homemade hamburgers, so I'll leave it at that.

Loved it! Thank you for a little more exposure to the genre.

I also listened to Gump's list yesterday. I feel like I'm saying this with each list but I was unfamaliar with most things on here. It's not a genre I listen to often but I can enjoy it once in a while. The length was perfect for such a focussed list. I didn't notice any problems with regards to the flow. There weren't any songs I disliked either. Overal I liked the second half better. More songs stood out to me there. Kansas City is a spectacular song that I hadn't heard before in spite of being a huge Okkervil River fan. 1000 Dollar Car was great fun, as was Jagged. Neko Case was another standout.

Gump is the only one left I haven't listened to from this group yet, mainly because I haven't actually been able to get it to download. But it's so short I've been meaning to just make it a playlist on spotify.

Man, I really love the second half of Niels' list. That Nautilis song is wonderful (I'm always excited to find new drill and bass that's good, I haven't ventured beyond Venetian Snares and Squarepusher as far as that genre goes) and everything is flowing great. He also picked my favorite song from Tomorrow's Harvest.

The first half was OK, kind of a mixed bag for me. The flow was pretty good (Run the Jewels, Kanye and Outkast weren't a great fit but obviously I loved all three) and I knew a good chunk of the songs, but most of the stuff I wasn't already familiar with didn't sit well with me. And I hate any Bloc Party tracks that border on electronic, Flux included. I vastly prefer them as a post-punk band (Four was a return to form as far as I'm concerned).

One really cool moment was Massive Attack bridging the two sides. That worked out really well. He did a great job of making these sounds all fit on the same list.

Last edited:
Thanks. Seems like the second half is getting received better than the first. I did spend more time on that part as well. It's not really difficult to get the transitions right but I did struggle with the ordering to make the overal flow a bit logical.

I listened to B212's list the other day and totally forgot to post my review (I've been taking notes in Microsoft Word for no apparent reason). I enjoyed it. It had an energy to it throughout much of the list that appealed to me. I have to play that AFI song for my roommates, that's crazily up their alley. I used that Chairlift song in a previous DI so you know I'm a fan. Also count me totally in for the Stars and Tycho songs. I have only heard Stars' most recent album, and they'd already been a band I wanted to get into more. This certainly encourages that.

One thing I wasn't crazy about was the ending. I thought after all that energy that it sort of faded away a little bit at the end. I'm certainly not opposed to slowing things down but I just wasn't into some of the songs as it closed out.

As always, it was well constructed. Nice work on this one.

Thanks, Peef!

Tycho's album is really great, all through, I believe it's somewhere in the middle of my end of the year top ten. And if your friends like that AFI song, they'll pretty easily like everything else on that album.

Thoughts on gump's playlist:

I am kind of take or leave it when it comes to alt indie country music. I enjoy Wlico and My Morning Jacket from time to time.

The beginning didn't completely grab by attention at first but the more I listened to it the more I restated with it musically, even though it isn't a genre I listen to a lot of. My favorite stretch of the whole thing was "Maybe Sparrow" to "Kansas City." The flow was the best here during this middle stretch. "Maybe Sparrow" and "Kansas City" are awesome tracks. I also thought it ended nicely with "Andoyne." Good job, not my favorite genre but definitely sticks well with its cohesiveness. It was an enjoyable playlist, gump.

Other tracks I enjoyed: "Golden," "Come Pick Me Up," and "Slowness."

Tracks that I weren't too crazy about:
There were none I didn't like but I wasn't too crazy about "Another Travelin' Song," "Car Wheels on Gravel," and "“1000 Dollar Car."

Gump you are definitely not out of this yet. Listening to LM's list today, and while it is indeed very well put together, it is just not all that much of my thing. Winding through 80s hits section now and without I'm Not in Love on the list I'm struggling a bit.

Just got to Bette Davis Eyes, and I still refuse to believe that there are people here who have never heard it. That's just ridiculous. You never drove in a car with your parents listening to a classic rock station? Fuck off. For some reason though I was utterly convinced it was a Stevie Nicks song, so I'm flabbergasted it is by a woman called Kim Carnes who I've never heard of.

Just got to Bette Davis Eyes, and I still refuse to believe that there are people here who have never heard it. That's just ridiculous. You never drove in a car with your parents listening to a classic rock station? Fuck off.
No, my parents don't listen to music.

Back
Top Bottom