Desert Island X: Group 2 Listening Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LemonMelon

More 5G Than Man
It has been a week since the last thread started and I think many participants have had a chance to hear the lists, so I think it's time to move on.

If you have not PM'd me your rankings from group 1, it's no problem, but do so soon to help you keep up with everything. The listening portion is going to go quickly because the voting portion will take about 3 weeks by itself and by then half the lists will be out.

Group 2

LemonMelon

dZ6pxY1.jpg

"Tinseltown in the Rain"

Inspired by icy winters and warming alcohol, this playlist hits on that awesome, classically-80s contrast between frigidity and romance. The title was taken from the list's featured Blue Nile track, which perfectly encapsulates everything I wanted to accomplish with this list. It's sexy and smooth yet still appropriate for moping in an empty bed.

1. Til Tuesday – “What About Love” – Welcome Home (3:57)
2. Kate Bush – “Running Up That Hill (A Deal with God)” - Hounds of Love (5:00)
3. Pet Shop Boys – “West End Girls” – Please (4:00)
4. Propaganda – “The Murder of Love” – A Secret Wish (5:18)
5. New Order – “True Faith” – Substance (5:53)
6. Visage – “Fade to Grey” – Visage (4:01)
7. Duran Duran – “Save a Prayer” – Rio (5:27)
8. Madonna – “Live to Tell” – True Blue (5:50)
9. Erasure – “Ship of Fools” – The Innocents (4:01)
10. Simple Minds – “Big Sleep” – New Gold Dream (81-82-83-84) (4:58)
11. T’Pau – “Heart and Soul” – Bridge of Spies (4:10)
12. The Cars – “Drive” – Heartbeat City (3:56)
13. Kim Carnes – “Bette Davis Eyes” – Mistaken Identity (3:42)
14. Roxy Music – “More Than This” – Avalon (4:11)
15. Pulp – “Do You Remember the First Time?” – His ‘n’ Hers (4:22)
16. Modern English- “I Melt with You” – After the Snow (3:53)
17. Joy Division – “Love Will Tear Us Apart” – Substance (3:26)
18. The dB’s – “Black and White” – Stands for Decibels (3:07)
19. Hoodoo Gurus – “I Want You Back” – Stoneage Romeos (3:11)
20. The Clean – “Draw(in)g to a (W)hole” – Vehicle (2:01)
21. Close Lobsters – “I Kiss the Flowers in Bloom” – Foxheads Stalk This Land (3:29)
22. The Bats – “Treason” – Daddy’s Highway (2:52)
23. The Soft Boys – “Queen of Eyes” – Underwater Moonlight (1:59)
24. Lloyd Cole and the Commotions – “Perfect Skin” – Rattlesnakes (3:12)
25. Echo & the Bunnymen – “Silver” – Ocean Rain (3:20)
26. Felt – “All the People I Like Are Those That Are Dead” – Forever Breathes the Lonely Word (5:08)
27. R.E.M. – “Perfect Circle” – Murmur (3:29)
28. The Chills – “Tied Up in Chain” – Submarine Bells (3:16)
29. The Associates – “Party Fears Two” – Sulk (5:12)
30. Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark – “Telegraph” – Dazzle Ships (2:58)
31. Crystal Castles – “Not in Love (feat. Robert Smith)” – (II) (3:46)
32. Tears for Fears – “Pale Shelter (You Don’t Give Me Love)” – The Hurting (4:26)
33. The Sundays – “You’re Not the Only One I Know” – Reading, Writing and Arithmetic (3:50)
34. The Go-Betweens – “Streets of Your Town” – 16 Lovers Lane (3:37)
35. Destroyer – “Chinatown” – Kaputt (3:47)
36. Prefab Sprout – “Bonny” – Steve McQueen (3:43)
37. U2 – “Love Comes Tumbling” – Wide Awake in America (4:44)
38. The Blue Nile – “Tinseltown in the Rain” – A Walk Across the Rooftops (5:53)
39. Talking Heads – “This Must Be the Place (Naïve Melody)” – Speaking in Tongues (4:56)

Total runtime: 2:37:45

gump

No Depression

Since the last DI I’ve been thinking of putting together an Alt-Country/Americana playlist. I’m using these terms pretty loosely, and the list includes some of the founders of alt-country but also indie bands/artists that explored that sound at some point in their careers. There’s no explicit thematic concept behind the playlist other than the common sound and influences, but most songs gravitate towards some of the main themes in the genre: melancholy, heartbreak, departure/travel. The (obvious) image that comes to mind when listening to it is a road trip through the south, and some areas are actually name checked in the songs. Hope you’ll enjoy even you're not normally drawn to this genre.

1. Bright Eyes - “Another Travelin’ Song” - I’m Wide Awake It’s Morning (4:17)
2. Lucinda Williams - “Car Wheels On A Gravel Road” - Car Wheels On A Gravel Road (4:45)
3. Wilco - “Passenger Side” - A.M. (3:34)
4. Whiskeytown - “Excuse Me While I Break My Own Heart Tonight” - Strangers Almanac (3:15)
5. Son Volt - “Windfall” - Trace (2:58)
6. Neko Case - “Maybe Sparrow” - Fox Confessor Brings The Flood (2:38)
7. Billy Bragg & Wilco - “Hesitating Beauty” - Mermaid Avenue Vol. I (3:06)
8. Calexico - “Slowness” - Carried To Dust (3:35)
9. Golden Smog - “Radio King” - Down By The Old Mainstream (3:09)
10. My Morning Jacket - “Golden” - It Still Moves (4:39)
11. Ryan Adams - “Come Pick Me Up” - Heartbreaker (5:18)
12. Okkervil River - “Kansas City” - Don’t Fall In Love With Everyone You See (5:46)
13. The Bottle Rockets - “1000 Dollar Car” - The Brooklyn Side (4:50)
14. Old 97’s - “Jagged” - Fight Songs (3:28)
15. Drive-By Truckers - “Tornadoes” - The Dirty South (4:16)
16. Uncle Tupelo - “Anodyne” - Anodyne (4:51)

Total runtime: 64:18

nielsgov

Dream Sequence #1 (AKA The Party & The After Party)
face_explosion_forms_surrealism_57020_1920x1080.jpg

I don't think I need to give a big explanation here. I started off with the second half of the playlist as I wanted to make some sort of weird dream. So that half has dub music, ambient techno, IDM... Making a 90-minute playlist like that would probably bore a lot of people here and maybe even myself so I added the first part, which consists mainly of hiphop but also some other dancy things. So now the loose concept of this album is a guy partying and then falling asleep. And a more accurate concept is that this is a bunch of songs I love. I hope you enjoy it.

1. Arsenal - "Lotuk" - Lotuk (05:05)
2. Magnus - "French Movies" - The Body Gave You Everything (03:57)
3. Bloc Party - "Flux" - A Weekend In the City (03:37)
4. Gorillaz - "Stylo" - Plastic Beach (04:31)
5. The Streets - "Same Old Thing" - Original Pirate Material (03:22)
6. Stromae - "Te Quiero" - Cheese (03:23)
7. Run The Jewels (feat. Big Boi) - "Banana Clipper" - Run The Jewels (02:52)
8. Kanye West - "Can't Tell Me Nothing" - Graduation (04:32)
9. Outkast - "ATLiens" - ATLiens (03:50)
10. Massive Attack - "Risingson" - Mezzanine (04:59)
11. Laurel Halo - "Still/Dromos" - Chance of Rain (03:51)
12. Autechre - "Piezo" - Amber (07:59)
13. Nautilis - "Epatre" - Sketches (04:51)
14. Boards of Canada - "Nothing Is Real" - Tomorrow's Harvest (03:53)
15. Fennesz - "Endless Summer" - Endless Summer (08:33)
16. Huerco S. - "Struck With Deer Lungs" - Colonial Patterns (02:16)
17. Miktek - "False Dawn" - Elsewhere (06:29)
18. Recondite - "Rise" - Hinterland (02:41)
19. Trentemöller - "Miss You" - The Last Resort (04:03)

Total runtime: 84:44

bono_212

72g4f4.jpg

With my DI lists, I like to focus on the genres of music I'm currently interested in. Since I've been listening to so much music from the the 90s lately, that's made it a prominent factor in my recent playlist. Unfortunately, this time around, I had a lot of different ideas, a lot of struggles to get those ideas to make sense. At the end, I went with two major musical sections, that includes a nice little break of a bridge in the middle to connect them. While most of the music on this list isn't from the 90s that inspired me, its influences and influence are felt throughout the two pieces of the whole.

Hopefully you have as much fun listening to it as I had headaches in making it work.

1. Vangelis – “Tears in Rain” – Blade Runner (3:00)
2. Blue Sky Black Death – “Sleeping Children Are Still Flying” – Noir (5:59)
3. CunninLynguists – “In the City” – Strange Journey Volume Three (3:40)
4. Air – “All I Need” – Moon Safari (4:27)
5. Outkast – “Aquemini” – Big Boi and Dre Present…Outkast (4:43)
6. Massive Attack – “Protection” – Protection (7:51)
7. Sade – “The Sweetest Taboo” – Promise (4:35)
8. Simply Red – “Fairground” – Life (5:33)
9. Katy Perry – “Walking on Air” – Prism (3:41)
10. Cut Copy – “Hearts on Fire” – In Ghost Colours (4:49)
11. Tycho – “L” – Awake (4:37)
12. Memory Tapes – “Bicycle” – Seek Magic (5:17)
13. RAC – “Let Go (feat. Kele & MNDR)” – Strangers (4:39)
14. Chairlift – “I Belong in Your Arms” – Something (3:27)
15. Stars – “Hold on When You Get Love and Let Go When You Give It” – The North (4:37)
16. Tina Turner – “Better Be Good to Me” – Private Dancer (5:10)
17. Big Country – “In a Big Country (Single Edit)” – The Best of Big Country (3:53)
18. The House of Love – “I Don’t Know Why I Love You” – The House of Love (3:28)
19. The Mighty Lemon Drops – “Into the Heart of Love” – Laughter (2:57)
20. The Replacements – “Alex Chilton” – Pleased to Meet Me (3:12)
21. The Undertones – “Teenage Kicks” – The Undertones (2:25)
22. Buzzcocks – “Ever Fallen in Love (With Someone You Shouldn’t’ve)” – Love Bites (2:42)
23. Dramarama – “Anything, Anything (I’ll Give You)” - Cinéma Vérité (3:23)
24. AFI – “Days of the Phoenix” – The Art of Drowning (3:27)
25. Japandroids – “The House That Heaven Built” – Celebration Rock (4:49)
26. Against Me! – “I Was a Teenage Anarchist” – White Crosses (3:13)
27. The Pillows – “Blues Drive Monster” – FLCL Original Sound Track NO. 3 (3:25)
28. The Dismemberment Plan – “Following Through” – Change (4:39)
29. Disco Inferno – “Next Year” – D.I. Go Pop (4:03)
30. Butthole Surfers – “Pepper” – Electriclarryland (4:55)
31. Moby – “Southside” – Play (3:48)
32. Primitive Radio Gods – “Standing Outside a Broken Phone Booth with Money in My Hand” – Rocket (5:36)
33. Eels – My Descent into Madness (3:53)
34. Pavement – “Grounded” – Wowee Zowee (4:15)
35. Yo La Tengo – “Damage” – I Can Hear the Heart Beating as One (4:38)
36. Big Star – “Kangaroo” – Third (3:44)

Total runtime: 2:32:30

Feel free to continue using the group 1 thread at your leisure. You can send me group rankings at any time before the last day of group 5.

Looks like we actually share 8 of the same artists, not 6. And one same song - Fade To Grey.

We have good taste.

Good thing I didn't use Bette Davis Eyes. :lol:

Never claimed to be good at math. Just reading. Shame I couldn't do either.

I very much look forward to your list. I think you're on deck.

I suspect I will as well. It's a mood-dependent genre, for me, but lately, I've been totally in that place, so you got lucky ;).

And I still really liked yours, so it wasn't a dealbreaker or anything.

Even with some repetition though, this still nothing like the DI we had Gimme Shelter on like three separate lists.

And I still really liked yours, so it wasn't a dealbreaker or anything.

Even with some repetition though, this still nothing like the DI we had Gimme Shelter on like three separate lists.

I think I remember that. Must have been DI6 or 7. Around 2008, I'd guess.

212er, your list was cool. all those transitions that looked batshit crazy on paper worked. i mean, i didn't doubt them or anything knowing both your history of slick transitions and how much time you said you spent trying to get them perfect. normally i should be irritated you made me listen to tina turner, but a) the song didn't suck and b) it transitioned into big country really well.

predictably as far as music tastes go, the replacements through against me was my favorite segment, even though i despise japandroids you managed to include the one song i grudgingly enjoy. that section was awesome, made me quite happy, and the pillows were cool too (cos i had absolutely no idea who they were, not knowing any japanese bands at all).

also predictably, i hate hip hop segments. this is what cobbler (and most everyone, apparently) feels like when they're listening to the inevitable punk rock half of my list. starting from the beginning, i loved the vangelis>blue sky black death. the latter is fantastic, to the point where i need to know more about what i just heard. will google, thank you. and then you lost me til chairlift. hip hop, auto-tuned pop, and easy listening dullness. but chairlift, and to a degree RAC, were a welcome shift when you were coming close to losing me altogether.

butthole surfers/moby/primitive radio gods...i am fairly certain i heard those 3 songs back to back before, probably on the radio if not a mix tape i had when i was 14. i admit i skipped those, i've heard them too many times. i know how they go, and i know they'd transition well.

the ending left me feeling a tad...underwhelmed, i guess? not to say it ended poorly, or like too much of the same thing--on the contrary, it was just the right number of songs that went well together (but diverged drastically from how the list began), it just ends on such a minimalist, melody-less note, that made it trail off after a pretty decent trip through different kinds of music that it seemed crazy anti-climactic.

I hope no one else has used Gigasize. It legitimately took me five minutes just to figure out how to start downloading Gump's file.

All good now though and pretty goddamn excited to get cracking on this lot.

In all likelihood, you'll be able to download mine and Ashley's in a couple minutes at most. Mega :heart:

gigasize may be the only thing i've seen so far that's worse then sendspace.

Don't count yourself out yet, Gump. I thoroughly, thoroughly enjoyed your list, way, way more than I was expecting to. Got off to a solid start with that Bright Eyes song, which showed me that perhaps not all their music is pompous, overblown, pretentious, inaccessible and impenetrable. Lucinda Williams managed to fit the title phrase into her song about 785 times, at my count. The Wilco song was real nice, and will encourage me to keep digging into their music. Jeff Tweedy sounded a bit raspier than I'm used to.

The only parts of your list that I didn't really dig (though I still enjoyed) were the songs that deviated a little too close to country. Excuse Me While I Break My Own Heart Tonight was one such song, which was a shame, as I was hoping to enjoy it more cos I loved the title.

I was quite blown away by Maybe Sparrow, a really stellar song I thought, a great vocal from Ms Case, who I might like to look into a bit more. Hesitating Beauty was among my least favourite tracks, though Tweedy was back to form with his third appearance on this list with Golden Smog (who I had to look up).

The next three tracks were probably my favourite portion of the list. You know what probably from My Morning Jacket onwards everything was great. The ascending guitar line after Jim James' vocal parts on Golden was just absolutely gorgeous, Come Pick Me Up was fantastic, quality use of the harmonica and solid vocals from a B&C favourite I've never been into. Kansas City was probably my favourite song on the whole list. Clearly I'm becoming an Okkervil River fan so I need to dig a bit deeper into their catalogue.

Loved $1k Car musically, though I was a little dumbfounded by the lyrics, which really hit you over the head with an anvil. And Old 97s, Drive-By Truckers and Uncle Tupelo wrapped things up pretty nicely.

So yeah, overall, loved it your list, and it was a really satisfying listen, the shorter run time was great for logistics etc but you really nailed the theme and still made it a great listen despite it being the shortest entry. Flow and transitions were impeccable (though I suspect it wasn't too hard to put this list together once you had an idea of the songs you wanted to use). Top shelf stuff my friend, may we chat about it in a Brooklyn bar someday.

LM, I'm only a few songs into your list, but I wanted to say that Visage track was a great, great choice. I heard of them randomly a few months ago and considered making an entire list around the sound of Fade to Grey.

Don't count yourself out yet, Gump. I thoroughly, thoroughly enjoyed your list, way, way more than I was expecting to. Got off to a solid start with that Bright Eyes song, which showed me that perhaps not all their music is pompous, overblown, pretentious, inaccessible and impenetrable. Lucinda Williams managed to fit the title phrase into her song about 785 times, at my count. The Wilco song was real nice, and will encourage me to keep digging into their music. Jeff Tweedy sounded a bit raspier than I'm used to.

The only parts of your list that I didn't really dig (though I still enjoyed) were the songs that deviated a little too close to country. Excuse Me While I Break My Own Heart Tonight was one such song, which was a shame, as I was hoping to enjoy it more cos I loved the title.

I was quite blown away by Maybe Sparrow, a really stellar song I thought, a great vocal from Ms Case, who I might like to look into a bit more. Hesitating Beauty was among my least favourite tracks, though Tweedy was back to form with his third appearance on this list with Golden Smog (who I had to look up).

The next three tracks were probably my favourite portion of the list. You know what probably from My Morning Jacket onwards everything was great. The ascending guitar line after Jim James' vocal parts on Golden was just absolutely gorgeous, Come Pick Me Up was fantastic, quality use of the harmonica and solid vocals from a B&C favourite I've never been into. Kansas City was probably my favourite song on the whole list. Clearly I'm becoming an Okkervil River fan so I need to dig a bit deeper into their catalogue.

Loved $1k Car musically, though I was a little dumbfounded by the lyrics, which really hit you over the head with an anvil. And Old 97s, Drive-By Truckers and Uncle Tupelo wrapped things up pretty nicely.

So yeah, overall, loved it your list, and it was a really satisfying listen, the shorter run time was great for logistics etc but you really nailed the theme and still made it a great listen despite it being the shortest entry. Flow and transitions were impeccable (though I suspect it wasn't too hard to put this list together once you had an idea of the songs you wanted to use). Top shelf stuff my friend, may we chat about it in a Brooklyn bar someday.

Thanks, man. Much appreciated, and very interesting to read your thoughts on this. Totally agree on Neko Case's vocals in Maybe Sparrow. The woman is fantastic. I was afraid that some people could find it a bit grating (similar concerns for Lucinda Williams, to some extent) but I think her vocal performance makes the song. The Tweedy trifecta in a short list was also a concern (I shouldn't say much about it so others don't pay too much attention), but ultimately decided the songs sounded different enough to justify their presence in the list. I love his huskier voice in AM (which I've regained appreciation in more recent years), and I keep coming back to Radio King's melody.

Couldn't agree more on Kansas City. I actually heard the some for the first time about a year ago in their concert, and immediately had to buy the album. And Come Pick Me Up breaks my heart every time.

Anyways, thanks again. Beer will be on me in Brooklyn next time. Yes, I'm buying votes with alcohol.

LM, I think you have Ship of Fools tagged as a Pet Shop Boys song, for some reason. At least that's how it showed up here. Or maybe I just messed up when importing...

Starting your list now.

212er, your list was cool. all those transitions that looked batshit crazy on paper worked. i mean, i didn't doubt them or anything knowing both your history of slick transitions and how much time you said you spent trying to get them perfect. normally i should be irritated you made me listen to tina turner, but a) the song didn't suck and b) it transitioned into big country really well.

predictably as far as music tastes go, the replacements through against me was my favorite segment, even though i despise japandroids you managed to include the one song i grudgingly enjoy. that section was awesome, made me quite happy, and the pillows were cool too (cos i had absolutely no idea who they were, not knowing any japanese bands at all).

also predictably, i hate hip hop segments. this is what cobbler (and most everyone, apparently) feels like when they're listening to the inevitable punk rock half of my list. starting from the beginning, i loved the vangelis>blue sky black death. the latter is fantastic, to the point where i need to know more about what i just heard. will google, thank you. and then you lost me til chairlift. hip hop, auto-tuned pop, and easy listening dullness. but chairlift, and to a degree RAC, were a welcome shift when you were coming close to losing me altogether.

butthole surfers/moby/primitive radio gods...i am fairly certain i heard those 3 songs back to back before, probably on the radio if not a mix tape i had when i was 14. i admit i skipped those, i've heard them too many times. i know how they go, and i know they'd transition well.

the ending left me feeling a tad...underwhelmed, i guess? not to say it ended poorly, or like too much of the same thing--on the contrary, it was just the right number of songs that went well together (but diverged drastically from how the list began), it just ends on such a minimalist, melody-less note, that made it trail off after a pretty decent trip through different kinds of music that it seemed crazy anti-climactic.

Thanks for the feedback, and I'm really glad that the Tina Turner > Big Country thing was immediately noticed :lol:, I couldn't resist.

As for the end,the intention had been to ease out of what had been a pretty hi tempo list through something that was sorta the same as the beginning, but a little less pure moods. It does end up being a really quit fade out, so I can see it not working. But, I definitely tried to do too much, so if that's the only thing that failed to hard, I'm not too upset.

The Pillows are fantastic, just for the record. They did the soundtrack for the Anime FLCL, but don't let that make you think they're a JPop band. That song is pretty indicative of their sound.

Don't get too excited about Blue Sky Black Death, yet. They are hip hop producers, but their last two albums have been all instrumental stuff. Glaciers was one of my favorite albums last year, and Noir was also in my top ten the year it came out.

LM, I'm only a few songs into your list, but I wanted to say that Visage track was a great, great choice. I heard of them randomly a few months ago and considered making an entire list around the sound of Fade to Grey.

Just got to this track - really good song, probably the standout so far. I didn't know Visage at all.

LM, I think you have Ship of Fools tagged as a Pet Shop Boys song, for some reason. At least that's how it showed up here. Or maybe I just messed up when importing...

Starting your list now.

Nope, not just you. Damn. I tagged everything in one go and slipped up on that one. Oh well, at least the file name is right.

Otherwise, glad you guys are enjoying the list!

Back
Top Bottom