Desert Island X: Group 2 Listening Thread - Page 9 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Just the Bang and the Clatter
Click Here to Login

Old 11-20-2014, 08:29 PM   #121
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 09:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobl04 View Post
Just got to Bette Davis Eyes, and I still refuse to believe that there are people here who have never heard it. That's just ridiculous. You never drove in a car with your parents listening to a classic rock station? Fuck off. For some reason though I was utterly convinced it was a Stevie Nicks song
Hahaha this is one of the best things you have written on this site.

Old 11-20-2014, 08:33 PM   #122
45:33

Local Time: 02:03 AM
I can't be the only one

Old 11-20-2014, 08:36 PM   #123
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 07:03 AM
I thought it was crazy to think that, but then I realized it KINDA sounds like "Seven Wonders".
Old 11-20-2014, 08:40 PM   #124
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Quote:
I can't be the only one

No I get it. It does sound like the kind of bullshit Fleetwood Mac would write in their lazier moments.
Old 11-20-2014, 08:40 PM   #125

And Stevie Nicks has a bit of raspy weariness to her vocals as well.
Old 11-20-2014, 08:47 PM   #126
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by iron yuppie View Post
No I get it. It does sound like the kind of bullshit Fleetwood Mac would write in their lazier moments.
Oh...Oh...I see.
Old 11-20-2014, 08:48 PM   #127
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 10:03 AM
I listened to Gump's list and it's simply not my thing. I'm not sure what it is but anything that touches country just repels me from it. There were a few songs I enjoyed: Neko Case and Old 97s in particular stuck out. But mostly it's just something I'm not a fan of.
Old 11-20-2014, 08:58 PM   #128
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 11:03 AM
Quote:
Gump you are definitely not out of this yet. Listening to LM's list today, and while it is indeed very well put together, it is just not all that much of my thing. Winding through 80s hits section now and without I'm Not in Love on the list I'm struggling a bit.

Just got to Bette Davis Eyes, and I still refuse to believe that there are people here who have never heard it. That's just ridiculous. You never drove in a car with your parents listening to a classic rock station? Fuck off. For some reason though I was utterly convinced it was a Stevie Nicks song, so I'm flabbergasted it is by a woman called Kim Carnes who I've never heard of.
They did not play 80s music on the classic rock stations in the early/mid 90s, and the only 80s shit those stations play now is hair bands. This is some "best" of the 70s 80s and passenger/riptide/that godawful five for fighting superman song station pop garbage that I actively avoid (and successfully, apparently). So yeah, I probably overheard it in a grocery store or a the dentist once, but it was forgettable enough that I'd never heard it before.
Old 11-20-2014, 09:00 PM   #129
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Quote:
Originally Posted by bono_212 View Post
Oh...Oh...I see.
Old 11-20-2014, 09:18 PM   #130
Blue Crack Addict

If people don't care for the 80's synth pop portion of el Mel's playlist, wait till they hear mine.
Old 11-20-2014, 09:24 PM   #131
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

Speaking of '80s pop, I can't wait for my cover art to show up correctly.
Old 11-20-2014, 10:01 PM   #132

^ I have seen it, and it is good.

LemonMelon, my dear fellow. I must apologise at the top of this review of your list. As I reached the final portion I realised that I had had quite a snobbish attitude while listening to most of it. I kept sort of dismissing tracks earlier on in the list due to their unabashed 80s qualities. But by the time I reached my favourite part of the list, the end, I realised that some of my favourite songs have the exact same qualities - Chinatown, Streets of Your Town, Love Comes Tumbling. So that actually made me feel a little bit ashamed of myself... like if I love those three songs so much, then why do I immediately dismiss other songs from the era or of that sound just because I haven’t heard them before? So your list made me do a bit of introspective soul-searching. Maybe if I did dig a bit deeper, was more patient, I’d end up a big fan of the sound as well. idk.

Anyway to the list itself, it was not something I greatly enjoyed I’m afraid. It was never bad, in fact it was pleasant all the way through and I think obviously you nailed your theme really nicely (objectively speaking. I would have love to have felt the ‘icy winters and warming alcohol’ feeling more, but perhaps I needed to be sitting by a fire late at night with a scotch on the rocks to really get that). For me it’s just not a sound I like to swim in for any extended period of time. It started well, Running up That Hill - West End Girls was a killer combo, I might need to check out some more Pet Shop Boys, I bloody love that song. But yeah, most of the list ran together for me and there weren’t many standouts that encouraged me to check out some new stuff. I was totally taken aback by Perfect Circle, in that it didn’t sound anything like the Michael Stipe I’ve come to know. Or R.E.M. for that matter. It was a really nice ending though, starting with Crystal Castles x Robert Smith (I guess I was wrong about “I’m Not in Love” not appearing on this list. No idea if it ever crossed your mind that creating a “classically 80s” list without including 10cc but including a 00s song that repeats that phrase over and over, but I thought that was really cool). The Sundays track was really great, definitely the best song of what I hadn’t already heard, and that stretch of Sundays>Go-Betweens>Destroyer absolutely ruled. Also loved Tinseltown in the Rain as well.

tl;dr - objectively great, just not really my thing.

now on to Azealia Banks' list and then send mah rankin's.
Old 11-20-2014, 10:22 PM   #133
The Male

Good review, Cobbs. Thanks. I didn't expect to win this time around or even perform especially well, genre lists never do, but as long as people find something new to check out and can feel the effort I put in, then it was not at all in vain.

I have absolutely no idea who is going through from this group. No one has sent me rankings yet and there doesn't seem to be a standout list based on the discussions. It'll be interesting. I'm hoping my craft gets me some points even if the song selection doesn't.

I still need to hear Ashley's list. Probably tomorrow afternoon.

Now.
LemonMelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 10:22 PM   #134
Blue Crack Addict

Not for nothing, but I'm Not In Love is pure 70's cheese and not even close to being from the 80's.
Old 11-20-2014, 10:24 PM   #135

Well don't I look silly now.