Desert Island X: Group 2 Listening Thread - Page 6 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Just the Bang and the Clatter
Click Here to Login

Old 11-17-2014, 07:10 PM   #76
The Male

Local Time: 09:29 AM
Yeah Big Boi is underrated. He owns Southernplayalistic and I've always preferred Speakerboxxx to Love Below as a complete album.

Now.
LemonMelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 07:13 PM   #77
45:33

Local Time: 04:29 AM
Sir Lucious Left Foot was excellent as well.

Old 11-17-2014, 07:15 PM   #78
The Male

IMO SpottieOttie is his best verse and he totally owns that song.

Now.
Old 11-17-2014, 07:43 PM   #79

Absolutely. I love that that song flips the (unfair) "pimp and the poet" perception.
Old 11-17-2014, 07:46 PM   #80
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 11:29 AM
I'll never claim to be the Outkast aficionado some of you guys are. All I will say is I take notice whenever Andre is rapping. Not so with Bog Boi.
Old 11-17-2014, 11:21 PM   #81
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobl04 View Post
Sir Lucious Left Foot was excellent as well.

Both records! His collab with Little Dragon is tops.
Old 11-18-2014, 12:10 AM   #82

Ehh I really couldn't get into Vicious Lies and Dangerous Rumours. The whole thing felt like an extended, misguided attempt at an indie crossover when his strength is clearly in more conventional hip-hop (which is not a criticism). But Lines was a dope song, and assuming you're talking about the Descending, then yeah, the Little Dragon collab is great.
Old 11-18-2014, 12:13 AM   #83
The Male

Everything with Phantogram was surprisingly great, but I didn't care for it much overall.

Now.
Old 11-18-2014, 03:13 AM   #84
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonMelon View Post
Yeah it took me ages to make that list. I basically made the second half of the list over a year ago and have been slowly adding to it as I discover more new wave that I love. I used to be one of those people that thought the 80s was a shitty decade for music but have quietly changed my mind over the past 5 years. I wanted to make a list that mapped out the cause of that about face.

iYup, Peef (thanks for the lengthy overview, I appreciate the effort), Gump (ditto), Ashley and Liam have all pointed out artists they would like to check out because of my list, so I'm super happy with that.
Oh yeah, there's a ton of folks in the back-half who are subject to further investigation: The Associates, The Blue Nile, Felt, The Go-Betweens, Prefab Sprout (their first record is incredible). I'm always of the opinion that no year or decade is a wasteland; sometimes you've gotta dig deeper to find what you like, some years it's an embarrassment of riches. It's not that I dislike '80s pop, or the many sub-genres and off-shoots of that sound.

Lists deeply concentrated in a sound or specific rhythm work best for me in shorter form. The amount of time you've put into it is deeply present and makes for a rewarding listen, even if not all of it jived with me. Also, that version of "I Melt with You" is a different mix than the one I've heard on the radio for years -- also different from the one in Valley Girl.

Gump's, for instance, slides into different peaks and valleys rhythmically and emotionally within that Alt Country designation at what I felt was a perfect length. It's a sub-genre that has grazed alongside my taste (Wilco, Bright Eyes, The Okk!, My Morning Jacket, some Ryan Adams). The Ryan Adams to Drive-By Truckers stretch is sublime.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobl04 View Post
Ehh I really couldn't get into Vicious Lies and Dangerous Rumours. The whole thing felt like an extended, misguided attempt at an indie crossover when his strength is clearly in more conventional hip-hop (which is not a criticism). But Lines was a dope song, and assuming you're talking about the Descending, then yeah, the Little Dragon collab is great.
"Descending," absolutely.
Old 11-18-2014, 09:51 AM   #85
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 12:29 PM
I will listen to gump's today and comments will follow.
Old 11-18-2014, 07:17 PM   #86
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 01:29 PM
finished niels' playlist. i had to go start over, picking back up where i left put me starting with the gorrilaz track, and i really can't stand them. predictably, it put me in a bad mood to hate the rest of the playlist, and i'd really liked the first 3 the other day. it's true, arsenal/magnus/bloc party was cool. pretty much the first snyth sound is the same type of sound (pardon my lack of actual knowledge as to how to describe it) so prevalent on get lost/holiday-era magnetic fields. not my new favorite song or anything, but it sucked me in with a familiar sound (whereas most electronic or synth-based music tends to alienate me). "french movies" was particularly awesome. sorry, after bloc party ended, i left the party. run/the jewelsoutkast/kanye has the highest incidence of rhyming a word with itself that i've ever heard, and that's the nicest thing i can say about that. streets is like wtf, how did i used to like a couple tracks from them/him/whatever. i'm not sure what i hate more, british dude rap or the "imma bang this hoe in her wet pussy for the procreation of the nigga race!" verse from atliens.

on the up side, everything from autechre onwards was fantastic. boards of canada>fennesz was a sweet transition. i'm going to echo whoever it was that said they'd honestly have prefered a whole playlist of this. maybe it really would have been as tedious you were afraid it would be, and i'd be saying i liked it til it lulled me to sleep. i doubt it, since the thing i like most about what the fuck were you calling this? intellectual dance music? is the same thing i like about post-rock, where the more minimalist and understated it is, the more attention i pay to it for some reason. probably because there's less going on that it's more interesting when something does happen. i don't know. i liked that stuff a lot, though.
Old 11-18-2014, 09:45 PM   #87
Blue Crack Addict

On to Group 2.

LemonMelon:

Fairly obvious that I'd enjoy most of this. First half is like a companion piece to my own playlist, although you switched gears after (and probably a wise move). I found What About Love an interesting opener, don't think I would have thought of that. Certainly gets right to the point.

I almost used Propaganda's Duel on mine. They didn't have much material overall, but still had some killer tunes to their credit. The Murder Of Love is probably the best of them all.

We've got a one hit wonder sighting with T'Pau. Trekkers unite!

You moved away from synth pop after Bette Davis Eyes, but still a good transition into More Than This, which then opened the door for the remainder of the set.

You then went all Axver on us! The Clean, The Bats, The Chills, The Go-Betweens. I've always liked the Go-Betweens, and what I've heard of The Clean has been decent, but I don't know, that sound hasn't caught my attention enough to warrant additional listening. Yet. Maybe it will hit me at some point.

Those Dunedin cuts are interspersed with some of my all-time favorite tracks (Perfect Circle, Pale Shelter, Love Comes Tumbling) and other standouts from artists I've always liked (OMD, Echo, Talking Heads, etc.). It worked that you mixed up those songs the way you did, and they flowed together very well.

I'm with Ashley on The Associates though. By far the worst thing on here.

The stretch after that all the way to the end was perfect though. Count me in as someone else who digs The Sundays. And while I'm not a big fan of Destroyer, I've always liked Chinatown. The Blue Nile is a band I've long known but for whatever reason have never really explored their catalog. I should probably do so one of these days.

Great job as always...
Old 11-18-2014, 09:56 PM   #88
Blue Crack Distributor

Edit: I was incorrect, China in Your Hand didn't chart in the states... They truly are a one hit wonder.
Old 11-18-2014, 10:09 PM   #89
Blue Crack Addict

Yeah, guess I should always clarify those one hit wonder statements with the territory.
Old 11-18-2014, 10:23 PM   #90
Blue Crack Distributor

No, I really and truly thought that China in Your Hand charted here. I always stick to the US market when I refer to One-Hit Wonders.