Desert Island X: Group 2 Listening Thread - Page 12 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Just the Bang and the Clatter
Click Here to Login

Old 11-21-2014, 01:46 PM   #166
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 05:01 PM
Honestly, if you like those three Pavement songs, there's certainly more where that came from. Terror Twilight is a pretty mellow album overall and has a number of Gold Soundz-type vibes, for example.

Old 11-21-2014, 03:52 PM   #167
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 07:01 PM
Gump - I could have sworn "Golden" was a Ryan Adams song until I actually looked at the list description. The vocals are so similar to his earlier stuff.

Old 11-21-2014, 04:13 PM   #168
Blue Crack Addict

Location: deep in absolutely bullshit historical theory/trauma theory
Local Time: 11:01 AM
I totally getcha on the being down and disinterested in music deal.
Old 11-21-2014, 06:28 PM   #169
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 08:01 PM
Listening to Lemonmelon's playlist right now. Just finished the Hoodoo Gurus song.

I am digging the 80's pop. I was familiar with some (I Will Melt With You, Live To Tell) and others I haven't heard in quite a while (Ship of Fools, Heart and Soul). I was born in 1990, so I barely missed the 80's but I remember hearing some of these songs on the radio and I smiled in remembrance. I thought it was really strong in the beginning but it honestly, got a little gloomy and repetitive at times with the 80's synthesizers after a while. But it was still enjoyable. I am being a little nit-picky, sorry. But I thought when the guitars were introduced as a more vital part of the song around the Pulp song it was more upbeat somehow. Flow was good as always but I think the transition from Roxy Music to Pulp could of been a little better. More thoughts along the way as I listen...
Old 11-21-2014, 11:06 PM   #170
The Male

Glad you're liking it.

Nobody was on Interference today and I was running some errands, so I'm going to wait to start group 3 until Monday.

Now.
LemonMelon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 09:40 PM   #171
45:33

Local Time: 12:01 PM
212 you are off to a hell of a start. Aquemini into Protection gave me an erection, an inspired transition.
Old 11-23-2014, 10:44 PM   #172

You're starting to lose me a little bit in this middle period though.

Although I did like Dramarama's nod to Ice Cube's $100 Bill Y'all.
Old 11-23-2014, 10:50 PM   #173

But we're back. Loooooove Japandroids.
Old 11-23-2014, 11:57 PM   #174

well well. well well well well well. wellity wellity well. we might just have a new favourite for this competition, bonoruinyoucunt. first of all, im continuing with my policy of honesty in these lists. i have underestimated your music tastes. this is quite offensive im sure but i think i had your tastes pegged a little more narrow, which is obviously insane given you post on this forum, listen to a shitload of music old and new, blah blah blah blah, so i apologise for having silent misgivings ahead of your list. your tastes are likely wider than mine. this is the most ive ever enjoyed a list of yours (not that i ever didnt enjoy them in the past tho) and ALSO this is the first time ive enjoyed a list of yours more than your significant other’s, and i must say i enjoyed this quite a bit more.

now, away from the gratuitious iwb-style ravings and onto the list itself. in melbourne at the mo it is currently quite spring-y, in that we’ve just had some pretty fucking great hot days, but today it’s raining and overcast but not cold and windy like what accompanies shitful rain here in winter. so the start of the list was just perfect. tears in rain wasnt the strongest of openers but it was nice, and the blue sky black death song was pretty cool. i feel like the cunninlynguists song is type of hip-hop song you REALLY like, in that it’s quite a bit different from the typical hip-hop song. air was great. as i aleady mentioned aquemini into protection was boner-inducing. the sade song was quite cool. the Simply Red song was very cool, very cool indeed, quite like it. the Katy Perry song was very un-Katy Perry in that I didnt feel her in screaming “HERES MY LATEST UPBEAT POP SONG” into my ears. it was good. Hearts on Cut Copy, Tycho, Memory Tapes was great.

From RAC on you began to lose me a little bit, I wasn’t big on anything from there through to The Pillows (aside from Japandroids), but once Dismemberment Plan came on it was absolutely terrific from then on out. I especially loved it from Moby onwards. The drumming in Southside reminded me A LOT of Larry’s drumming from a U2 song from any of the 90s albums... can’t remember which one and not looking it up right now. All this stuff worked very well, I actually thought you probably could have slipped in a song from Pop seamlessly around Primitive/Moby/Eels. My only slight criticism is that the music in the Eels song didn’t quiiiiiite match with the songs around it, but that’s really pretty minor, and the lyrics were great. And now I know 3000 and Mark Oliver have something in common - they both have a song where they say “I’m the shit” over and over. Grounded is obviously sensational, and Damage and Kangaroo, both songs by bands I haven’t check out, was an astonishing closing duo. So! great job, and I think I might even listen to it again before sending in my rankings, pay a bit more attention to the start and the middle.

tl;dr -
Old 11-24-2014, 12:22 AM   #175

Quote:
Originally Posted by bono_212 View Post

As LeMel addresses later, I realized too late that I needed to cut about four songs from the list, in order to really make it a more manageable deal. I would've ended the list after Primitive Radio Gods and deleted the Air track, if I had made those cuts, and I think that cohesive circle I wanted would've still been present, ending there instead. Ah well, that's what I get for taking so long on this. I'm glad I got it out of my system, though, because now I'm already working on a DI 11 and having a good time with it.

This is proof that people overthink these lists. I would have liked the list considerably less had it ended at this point.
Old 11-24-2014, 12:41 AM   #176
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobl04 View Post
well well. well well well well well. wellity wellity well. we might just have a new favourite for this competition, bonoruinyoucunt. first of all, im continuing with my policy of honesty in these lists. i have underestimated your music tastes. this is quite offensive im sure but i think i had your tastes pegged a little more narrow, which is obviously insane given you post on this forum, listen to a shitload of music old and new, blah blah blah blah, so i apologise for having silent misgivings ahead of your list. your tastes are likely wider than mine. this is the most ive ever enjoyed a list of yours (not that i ever didnt enjoy them in the past tho) and ALSO this is the first time ive enjoyed a list of yours more than your significant other’s, and i must say i enjoyed this quite a bit more.

now, away from the gratuitious iwb-style ravings and onto the list itself. in melbourne at the mo it is currently quite spring-y, in that we’ve just had some pretty fucking great hot days, but today it’s raining and overcast but not cold and windy like what accompanies shitful rain here in winter. so the start of the list was just perfect. tears in rain wasnt the strongest of openers but it was nice, and the blue sky black death song was pretty cool. i feel like the cunninlynguists song is type of hip-hop song you REALLY like, in that it’s quite a bit different from the typical hip-hop song. air was great. as i aleady mentioned aquemini into protection was boner-inducing. the sade song was quite cool. the Simply Red song was very cool, very cool indeed, quite like it. the Katy Perry song was very un-Katy Perry in that I didnt feel her in screaming “HERES MY LATEST UPBEAT POP SONG” into my ears. it was good. Hearts on Cut Copy, Tycho, Memory Tapes was great.

From RAC on you began to lose me a little bit, I wasn’t big on anything from there through to The Pillows (aside from Japandroids), but once Dismemberment Plan came on it was absolutely terrific from then on out. I especially loved it from Moby onwards. The drumming in Southside reminded me A LOT of Larry’s drumming from a U2 song from any of the 90s albums... can’t remember which one and not looking it up right now. All this stuff worked very well, I actually thought you probably could have slipped in a song from Pop seamlessly around Primitive/Moby/Eels. My only slight criticism is that the music in the Eels song didn’t quiiiiiite match with the songs around it, but that’s really pretty minor, and the lyrics were great. And now I know 3000 and Mark Oliver have something in common - they both have a song where they say “I’m the shit” over and over. Grounded is obviously sensational, and Damage and Kangaroo, both songs by bands I haven’t check out, was an astonishing closing duo. So! great job, and I think I might even listen to it again before sending in my rankings, pay a bit more attention to the start and the middle.

tl;dr -
Laughing so hard.

This was like a drunk GAF post minus the bitterness.
Old 11-24-2014, 12:45 AM   #177
The Male

Oh God. I don't think I'm necessarily fucking doomed. Just regular doomed.

Now.
Old 11-24-2014, 12:55 AM   #178

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazarus View Post
Laughing so hard.

This was like a drunk GAF post minus the bitterness.
Haha, thanks. I'm completely sober, just bored at work. And I had a coffee today, and for some reason I am very sensitive to coffee, so maybe that's why the post is a bit silly.
Old 11-24-2014, 01:02 AM   #179
The Male

I get that Ashley gets pegged as the new wave/60s folk chick, but yeah, I wouldn't call her tastes narrow at all.

iYup, commenting on her last.fm:

Quote:
I have to say that you have the most eclectic musical taste of anyone that I have known. I mean that as a compliment. : )
The strangest thing here is iYup using a smiley.

Now.
Old 11-24-2014, 01:08 AM   #180

Creepy