Desert Island X: Group 2 Listening Thread - Page 11 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Just the Bang and the Clatter
Click Here to Login

Old 11-21-2014, 12:31 AM   #151
Blue Crack Addict

Location: deep in absolutely bullshit historical theory/trauma theory
Local Time: 07:04 PM
I aim to please.

Old 11-21-2014, 04:18 AM   #152
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 01:04 AM
BONERZ 2112:

I'll start out with some bold praise in that this may be my frontrunner right now. Not that I enjoyed every track, but it had a great mixture of new material and some impressive transitioning, as well as a diverse palette.

I liked how this slowly asserted itself, instead of storming out of the gate, and this is mirrored by the drawn-out conclusion in place of a big showstopper. The symmetry is nice.

Blue Sky Black Death was something new, as well as the Tyco, Memory Tapes, and a few others.

I give extra credit for the inclusion of The Mighty Lemon Drops, and in the 20 years i've known about this band, you may be the first person I know who's ever heard of/mentioned them. Laughter was one of the first CDs I bought from the short-lived MTV Music Club, but I wound up getting everything by this also-ran British band. They're not "important" but were consistently good and evolved considerably over 6 albums/8 years. BTW, I highly recommend their swan song album Ricochet.

The emo section was a mixed bag, as your selection was unable to overcome my contempt for AFI, though I did enjoy the Against Me song (the first of theirs I've heard, so can't speak to whether this is typical material from the band).

One other criticism: correct me if I'm wrong, but that Japandroids track was used by two different people in last year's DI, and while it's a great song, it should have been retired for a while.

So, some welcome familiar tracks, a few annoying ones old and new, but a lot of discoveries and an impressive journey across a handful of genres.

Very impressive work.

Old 11-21-2014, 05:13 AM   #153
Blue Crack Addict

Location: deep in absolutely bullshit historical theory/trauma theory
Local Time: 07:04 PM
BONZO

- The BSBD track works as a great opener to the playlist. Gradually builds in a nice manner, has some hints of what's to come, doesn't let on too much.

- After BDBS [sic] the list goes into two very chill electronic tracks. While they're not bad in and of themselves, I would have liked a pick me up after the BSBD track.

- Make that three. Outkast is becoming less my thing the more I hear.

- Four.

- I never thought I'd say this, but Sade really brought my mood up.

- Oh Simply Red you're so dorky. And you sound weirdly like Sade banging on a drumkit made of coffee cans.

- This list is slowly turning into something you'd hear in a bad nightclub. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

- The Tycho track ties back to what I liked about BSBD. Pretty neat callback.

- Memory Tapes. This is pretty neat. I can sort of see how all of the pieces fit together in this song. Really cool, kinda creepy guitar playing as well.

- The music in RAC reminds me of a Head On The Door track, if it came out today. Neato.

- More Chairlifts, please.

- I'm bummed about how having different mixes irritates me. Big Country are dorky as hell, but I love them so. Cutting off that track is a damned disservice.

- Into The Heart Of Love -> Alex Chilton makes me want to be in a crowded arena, screaming along.

- MAN MOTHERFUCKING ALEX CHILTON. I AM ONE OF THE CHILDREN. CEREBRAL RAPE AND PILLAGE. JESUS THIS SONG RULES. DYING IN MEMPHIS IS COOL, BABE. COME ON.

- The punk part was going well until AFI. Now it's just sorta obnoxious.

- The Pillows is an excellent name for a band. I think not having to focus on what they're saying meant I could get more behind the vocal inflection and guitar playing.

- Disco Inferno = excellent palate cleanser. This is strangely the most conventional song on that album.

- The Butthole Surfers fucking suck.

- The biggest problem with this list is that it sets up several moods and feels quite nicely, but lingers on them too long. At 36 songs and 2 1/2 hours, there's some real exertion involved with sitting down and hearing this.

- A good Pavement song that isn't Gold Soundz or In The Mouth A Desert? Well, I'll be damned.
Old 11-21-2014, 05:27 AM   #154
The Male

Listened to Ashley's list as well. Not my favorite batch of tracks that she's put to use, but certain patches of it really work for me and it all flows nicely. The electronic section at the beginning is badass although yeah, maybe a bit too long. I actually like the danceable shit in the middle, comes out of the darker sounds surprisingly well . Power pop/garage rock section is pretty damn cool (I mean, come on, that's my bread and butter right there) and it obviously flows well. I'm not over the moon about the slacker rock stuff (non including DPlan, they're amazing) but it comes together very nicely at the end. I don't think Kangaroo is much of a closer, but as Laz said, there's some nice symmetry there with the opening.

So no, it isn't my favorite of the lists you've done (that would be DI6), but it's very strong. I think it turned out pretty damn well considering how laborious it was to assemble. An exra day of work on the pacing would have helped speed things along in a couple of sections, but there's very little wrong with what's here. Kudos for introducing some hip hop into your lists too, that's a first for you.

Now.
LemonMelon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 05:40 AM   #155
Blue Crack Supplier

So...am I crazy re: Japandroids or was that not on 2 lists last year? It was already in my iTunes twice before this week and I didn't download it.
Old 11-21-2014, 05:43 AM   #156
The Male

You are correct. Peef and Mr. V used it.

Now.
LemonMelon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 08:37 AM   #157
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 04:04 AM
I believe I am guilty of using one track used by someone in the last DI as well.
Old 11-21-2014, 09:17 AM   #158
45:33

Local Time: 08:04 PM
Mr V. Wish he was still around. Hope he hasn't pissed all that money against the wall.
Old 11-21-2014, 11:28 AM   #159
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilsFan View Post
I believe I am guilty of using one track used by someone in the last DI as well.

Friggin' Peefer.
Old 11-21-2014, 11:30 AM   #160
Blue Crack Distributor

I had a different japandroids track, for just that reason, but HTHB worked better, and I figured no one would use it this time, since everyone used it last time. I also figured it was a long enough gap between DI's that it might slip through.
Old 11-21-2014, 11:32 AM   #161
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 05:04 AM
Or that everyone had forgotten about japandroids? Because I did, despite the amount of hate they garnered from me I had totally forgotten they were a band.

It's still the only song of theirs I almost like.
Old 11-21-2014, 12:04 PM   #162
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 04:04 AM
I'm gonna use a Japandroids track next DI just to piss people off.
Old 11-21-2014, 01:22 PM   #163
Blue Crack Supplier

Those aren't the Japandroids you're looking for.
Old 11-21-2014, 01:24 PM   #164
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 05:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lazarus View Post
Those aren't the Japandroids you're looking for.
Old 11-21-2014, 01:38 PM   #165
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazarus View Post
BONERZ 2112:

I'll start out with some bold praise in that this may be my frontrunner right now. Not that I enjoyed every track, but it had a great mixture of new material and some impressive transitioning, as well as a diverse palette.
Well thank you, that's awesome to hear
Quote:
I liked how this slowly asserted itself, instead of storming out of the gate, and this is mirrored by the drawn-out conclusion in place of a big showstopper. The symmetry is nice.
That's actually what I was going for, so I'm glad it worked, somewhat.

Quote:
I give extra credit for the inclusion of The Mighty Lemon Drops, and in the 20 years i've known about this band, you may be the first person I know who's ever heard of/mentioned them. Laughter was one of the first CDs I bought from the short-lived MTV Music Club, but I wound up getting everything by this also-ran British band. They're not "important" but were consistently good and evolved considerably over 6 albums/8 years. BTW, I highly recommend their swan song album Ricochet.
I have no idea where I got that Mighty Lemon Drops song from, but it's fantastic fun, though maybe not essential. I'll listen to more, now, though, because I'm super curious.
Quote:
The emo section was a mixed bag, as your selection was unable to overcome my contempt for AFI, though I did enjoy the Against Me song (the first of theirs I've heard, so can't speak to whether this is typical material from the band).
It's pretty typical. I can't recommend their new album enough. It's my 2nd favorite of the year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by liamcool View Post
- I never thought I'd say this, but Sade really brought my mood up.

[quote]- Oh Simply Red you're so dorky. And you sound weirdly like Sade banging on a drumkit made of coffee cans. [quote]
I think enough people have heard the list, now, to remind everyone why Simply Red is just my favorite thing:

Quote:
- I'm bummed about how having different mixes irritates me. Big Country are dorky as hell, but I love them so. Cutting off that track is a damned disservice.
I really hated using the radio edit, but the ridiculous transition between it and Tina Turner didn't work with the (ridiculously great) intro.

Quote:
- Disco Inferno = excellent palate cleanser. This is strangely the most conventional song on that album.
I love that song and that album so much. I still haven't heard anything beyond it, though, so I'll have to get going further. Especially, of course, the EPs.

Quote:
- The biggest problem with this list is that it sets up several moods and feels quite nicely, but lingers on them too long. At 36 songs and 2 1/2 hours, there's some real exertion involved with sitting down and hearing this.
As LeMel addresses later, I realized too late that I needed to cut about four songs from the list, in order to really make it a more manageable deal. I would've ended the list after Primitive Radio Gods and deleted the Air track, if I had made those cuts, and I think that cohesive circle I wanted would've still been present, ending there instead. Ah well, that's what I get for taking so long on this. I'm glad I got it out of my system, though, because now I'm already working on a DI 11 and having a good time with it.

Just, in general, I've been having a little bit of a down mood, and I just couldn't even enjoy listening to music, anymore. Unfortunately, that started, right as I started working on DI. I'm feeling a little better now, but, it's, obviously, too late to go back.

Quote:
- A good Pavement song that isn't Gold Soundz or In The Mouth A Desert? Well, I'll be damned.
You can thank LeMel for introducing me to that one. I, generally, don't care much for Pavement, but that song's a treasure. __________________