Desert Island X: Group 1 Listening Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LemonMelon

More 5G Than Man
There have been a handful of issues with the links in this group, but I figured I might as well start this anyway.

This thread will be available for a week. Next Friday, send me your rankings of these lists. Allocate 24 points for the 4 lists, with a maximum of 8 for any one list. For your own group, remove yourself from the equation and use 18 points.

Here are the lists:

Group 1

IWasBored

cover_zpseb818ef3.png

Roots & Boots

Disc 1 - Roots:
1. Johnny Rivers - Secret Agent Man - [fuck if I know, it's been on my computer for forever]- 3:07
2. The Ventures - Walk, Don't Run - Walk, Don't Run - 2:11
3. Al Wilson - The Snake - single - 3:30
4. R. Dean Taylor - There's a Ghost in My House - complete recordings - 2:26
5. The Sonics - Strychnine - Here Are the Sonics - 2:14
6. Morphine - Buena - Cure for Pain - 3:20
7. Solomon Burke/Blind Boys of Alabama - None of Us are Free - - 5:29
8. Otis Redding - You Left the Water Running - best of (which if i didn't own the cd, i'd suspect was mis-labeled as i've never seen it on any other OR collection/album for some reason)
9. Dobie Gray - Out on the Floor - Dobie Gray Sings for the "In Crowd" - 2:56
10. The Four Tops - Baby I Need Your Loving - The Four Tops - 2:46
11. Smokey Robinson & the Miracles - The Tracks of My Tears - - 2:57
12. Sam Cooke - Twisin' the Night Away - the man who invented soul box set- 2:43
13. Sam & Dave - Sweet Soul Music - single - 2:21
14. Chubby Checker - The Twist - best of - 2:34
15. The Beatles - Twise & Shout - Please Please Me - 2:33
16. The Who - Much to Much - The Who Sings My Generation - 2:48
17. Carl Perkins - Honey Don't - Mr Rock 'n Roll - 2:40
18. Buddy Holly - Not Fade Away - The Chirping Crickets - 2:23

Disc 2 - Boots:
1. Roger Miret & the Disasters - Give 'Em the Boot - (self-titled) - 2:08
2. Dropkick Murphys - The Gauntlet - Sing Loud, Sing Proud - 2:49
3. Blitz - Razors in the Night - Best of Blitz (or the Razors/Never Surrender single) - 1:55
4. Stiff Little Fingers - At the Edge - Nobody's Heroes - 2:57
5. The Beltones - Mix it Up - Cheap Trinkets - 2:13
6. Discipline - Everywhere We Go - Saints & Sinners - 3:27
7. The Pug Uglies - Street Rule - Minimum Wage - 2:53
8. Patriot - Cohesion - We the People - 2:59
9. The Oppressed - We're the Oppressed - skinhead times 1982-1998 - 3:17
10. The Bruisers - Intimidation - Singles Collection - 2:49
11. The Ducky Boys - I'll Rise Up - No Gettin' Out - 2:19
12. The Krays - Battle - A Battle for the Truth - 1:47
13. Tommy & the Terrors - Turn the Screw - Mass Hysteria - 3:20
14. The Business - Suburban Rebels - Suburban Rebels - 2:18
15. The Anti-Nowhere League - The Streets of London - We Are...The League - 3:18
16. Angelic Upstarts - I Won't Pay for Liberty - rarities album - 2:35
17. Menace - GLC - Complete Discography - 2:21
18. Oxymoron - New Age - The Worldwide Tribue to the Real Oi album- 2:45
19. Pressure Point - Never Walk Alone - Get it Right - 3:34
20. The Templars - Skinheads Rule OK - The Return of Jaques De Molay
21. Stage Bottles - Sometimes Anti-social, Always Anti-facist - SA-S,AA-F 7"- 3:41
22. Terminus City - My Castle - Justice isn't Always Fair - 2:47
23. Cocksparrer - I Got Your Number - Shock Troops - 2:48
24. Sham 69 - Borstal Breakout - Tell Us the Truth - 2:13
25. Whiskey Rebels - St. Ides - (self-titled) - 1:30
26. Criminal Class USA - Freedom's Dead (For You Not Me) - Echoes in the Street - 4:25
27. Main Street Saints - KC Belongs to Me - Everybody Wants to Go to Heaven - 2:45

Runtime: 126:31

Lazarus

BOWL OF D.I.X.

This is only my second DI, so I can only compare this to my debut entry, where I focused specifically on the 90s and mostly the late part of the decade. The first disc was more rock and the second was more dance/beat oriented.

For my sophomore effort, I didn't go in with any grand plan, mostly I just had a bunch of songs I wanted to share. What it does have in common with the previous collection is that I attempted to use as many b-sides/outtakes/deep cuts as possible. Hopefully the majority of this will sound fresh to everyone.

GetGoingCover_zps122ad3c3.jpg

On a general level, Part 1 (Get Going, Step Out) is a looser affair, more "organic" and outdoorsy, and eventually swung more retro than I realized. It's also fairly mellow, after the party dies down it's pretty smooth going forward. But I've listened to it quite a bit and enjoy it.

RiffDogsCover_zps87ad84a1.jpg

Part 2 (Riff Dogs) is definitely rockier and more aggressive, but it also takes a mellow/lighter detour halfway through. I guess I enjoyed finding ways to transition through these songs after I had separated them into two groups, and while it may seem insane on paper, I think I managed to segue pretty naturally from song to song.

Some notes for the curious: Bash & Pop (one of the most obscure artists I used) is fronted by Tommy Stinson, his first band after the break-up of The Replacements. Sarah Shannon is the former singer of brief 90s indie stars Velocity Girl (they even had a Volkswagen commercial!). Thee Midniters are a Mexican-American band from East Los Angeles and an under-heard treasure from the 60s.

NOTE: Please import the .m3u or .xml files into iTunes (or whatever you're using) as it will preserve the playlist settings I gave a lot of attention to w/r/t reducing dead space between tracks and leveling some volume issues.

Track listing:

PT 1: Get Going, Step Out
1. Warwick - “Let’s Get The Party Going” - Velvet Tinmine (comp.) (3:28)
2. The Meters - “Live Wire” - The Meters (2:27)
3. Rolling Stones - “Undercover Of The Night” - Undercover (4:34)
4. Luscious Jackson - “Here” - Natural Ingredients (3:27)
5. Christina Aguilera - “Monday Morning” - Bionic (3:55)
6. Nelly Furtado - “Parking Lot (radio edit)” - Parking Lot (3:51)
7. Phoenix - “On Fire” - United (2:49)
8. Steely Dan - “FM” - Gold (4:41)
9. Thin Lizzy - “She Knows” - Night Life (5:10)
10. Prince - “The Truth” - The Truth (3:30)
11. Funkadelic - “Can You Get To That” - Maggot Brain (2:53)
12. Ween - “Freedom of ’76” - Chocolate And Cheese (2:46)
13. The Lemonheads - “The Outdoor Type” - (2:35)
14. Blue Öyster Cult - “In Thee” - Mirrors (3:50)
15. Rilo Kiley - “With Arms Outstretched” - The Execution Of All Things (3:43)
16. The Faces - “Glad And Sorry” - Ooh La La (3:07)
17. Bash & Pop - “Tiny Pieces” - Friday Night Is Killing Me (4:36)
18. The Beach Boys - “Sail On Sailor” - Holland (3:17)
19. Cotton Jones - “Sail Of The Silver Morning” - Tall Hours In The Glowstream (3:20)
20. Van Morrison - “Stepping Out Queen Part II” - The Philosopher Stone (4:27)

PT 2: Riff Dogs
1. Johnny Foreigner - “Riff Glitchard” - You Can Do Better (4:59)
2. M83 - “Don’t Save Us From The Flames” - Before The Dawn Heals Us (4:10)
3. New Order - “Weirdo” - Brotherhood (3:53)
4. Los Campesinos! - “This Is A Flag. There Is No Wind” - Romance Is Boring (3:23)
5. PJ Harvey - “This Wicked Tongue” - Stories From The City, Stories From The Sea (3:43)
6. Deap Vally - “Woman Of Intention” - Sistrionix (3:41)
7. Au Pairs - “We’re So Cool” - Playing With A Different Sex - (3:30)
8. Stricken City - “Animal Festival” - Losing Color (4:53)
9. Brian Eno & John Cale - “One Word” - Wrong Way Up (4:30)
10. Saint Etienne - “Zipcode” - Fairfax High (3:02)
11. Sarah Shannon - “City Morning Song” - City Morning Song (2:59)
12. Amy Winehouse - “Addicted” - Back To Black (2:45)
13. Nina Simone - “Revolution (Parts 1 & 2)” - To Love Somebody (5:00)
14. Thee Midniters - “Love Special Delivery” - Thee Midniters Bring You… (2:13)
15. Kitty, Daisy & Lewis - “Polly Put The Kettle On” - Kitty, Daisy & Lewis (2:56)
16. The Twilight Singers - “Papillon” - Blackberry Belle (4:24)
17. Bettie Serveert - “White Dogs” - Log 22 (8:20)

Total runtime: 2:21:38

Padj

A Slice of Sky

(Artwork By Eugenia Loli)

Tracklist:

1. Total Control- "Flesh War" - Typical System (4:41)
2. Sad Lovers & Giants - "Close to the Sea" - Feeding The Flame (4:47)
3. Wire - "The 15th" - 154 (3:05)
4. Caribou - "Silver" - Our Love (5:17)
5. Cults - "Keep Your Head Up" - Static (3:39)
6. Sparks - "This Town Ain't Big Enough For Both Of Us" - Kimono My House (3:07)
7. Roxy Music- "Virgina Plain" - Roxy Music (2:58)
8. Cate Le Bon- "I Can't Help You" - Mug Museum (4:01)
9. The B-52's - "52 Girls - B-52's (3:41)
10. Stereolab- "L'enfer Des Formes" - Mars Audiac Quintet (3:53)
11. Husker Du - "Up In The Air" - Warehouse (3:08)
12. Throwing Muses - "Devil's Roof" - Hunkpapa (3:42)
13. Speedy Ortiz - "No Below" - Major Arcana (3:49)
14. Liz Phair - "Supernova" - Whip-Smart (2:49)
15. Juliana Hatfield - "What A Life" - Only Everything (3:22)
16. Lush - "Etheriel" - Gala (3:26)
17. Cocteau Twins - "Cherry-Coloured Funk" - Heaven Or Las Vegas (3:12)
18. GEMS - "Medusa" - Medusa - EP (4:10)
19. Bat For Lashes - "Oh Yeah" - The Haunted Man (4:57)
20. PJ Harvey - "The Words That Maketh Murder" - Let England Shake (3:46)
21. Magnetic Fields - "The Trouble I've Been Looking" - Holiday (2:23)
22. Metronomy - "The Bay" - The English Riviera (4:56)
23. Tom Waits - "16 Shells From A 30 6" - Swordfishtrombones (4:34)
24. Paolo Conte - "Via Con Me" - Paris Milonga (2:47)
25. Chico Buarque - "Deus Lhe Pague" - Construção (3:19)
26. Radio Futura - "Luna De Agosto" - La Cancion De Juan Perro (3:39)
27. Belle & Sebastian - "Act Of The Apostle" - The Life Pursuit (2:56)
28. Caravan - "In The Land Of Grey And Pink" - In The Land Of Grey And Pink (4:59)
29. Jethro Tull - "Life Is A Long Song" - Living In The Past (3:21)

Total Runtime: 109 minutes

Joey788

p5ra7pj.jpg

This playlist explores what happens when an individual is pushed to extremes. I wanted to create a tense atmosphere for my list, but with different moods and genres as well. It is all about walking on the edge of sanity, with some barely retaining control and other slipping off. These are songs for the moments when your emotions escape you, when you shake or snap, when the pressure reaches a boiling point.

Fractures

1. Chelsea Wolfe - "Feral Love" - Pain Is Beauty (3:22)
2. The Horrors - "I Can't Control Myself" - Primary Colours (3:27)
3. David Bowie - "Scary Monsters (and Super Creeps)" - Scary Monsters (and Super Creeps) (5:13)
4. Savages - "Husbands" - Silence Yourself (2:50)
5. Liars - "Brats" - WIXIW (3:02)
6. The Prodigy - "Firestarter" - Their Law (The Singles 1990-2005) (4:43)
7. Bjork - "Army of Me" - Army of Me (3:55)
8. Beck - "Minus" - Odelay (2:34)
9. Radiohead - "Climbing Up The Walls" - OK Computer (4:45)
10. Steven Wilson - "Index" - Grace for Drowning (4:49)
11. EMA - "Cthulu" - The Future's Void (5:27)
12. Blur - "I'm Just A Killer For Your Love" - Blur (4:12)
13. Bat for Lashes - "Siren Song" - Two Suns (5:00)
14. Fiona Apple - "Every Single Night" - The Idler Wheel... (3:34)
15. St. Vincent - "Huey Newton" - St. Vincent (4:38)
16. The Smashing Pumpkins - "Zero" - Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness (2:41)
17. PJ Harvey - "Down By The Water" - To Bring You My Love (3:15)
18. The Decemberists - "The Rake's Song" - The Hazards of Love (3:16)
19. Astronautalis - "Holy Water" - This Is Our Science (2:57)
20. Arcade Fire - "Intervention" - Neon Bible (4:21)
21. The National - "Afraid of Everyone" - High Violet (4:19)
22. U2 - "Exit" - The Joshua Tree (4:13)
23. Nine Inch Nails - "The Downward Spiral" - The Downward Spiral (3:57)
24. Porcupine Tree - "Strip The Soul" - In Absentia (7:22)

Total runtime: 97:52

Last edited:
Sorry about the hassle, guys. I thought I used a fairly standard .zip program. If anyone wants me to reupload with another suggested program I'm happy to try it later.

Why not give 24 points to work with per round, and then if you don't have a list in that particular round, only have 18 points to work with for point distribution? What was the reasoning for picking 30?

Why not give 24 points to work with per round, and then if you don't have a list in that particular round, only have 18 points to work with for point distribution? What was the reasoning for picking 30?

I think Axver envisioned 4 groups of 5 and I went with 5 groups of 4.

I don't have a problem with 24. If people aren't comfortable voting for their own list, I'll edit the first post. I would personally prefer to have more points available in order to avoid ties, but 24 should still be plenty.

24 (18) for your round sounds good to me. but it has to be uniform, it's going to be fucked up if some people are throwing points at their list with one structure and others aren't. i'm against the voting for your own list thing.

I edited the first post to add in the new point system.

IWB, you should paste your Padj thoughts in here I think. :lol:

yeah both my posts on padj's and joey's lists are now buried in the other thread. :|

moved in for continuity's sake:

so yeah. i didn't like padj's list very much last time. this time, this list could take the competition for me. either i was just blinded by the magnetic fields, and that made me like it (because under what other circumstances could i justify saying something positive about a list also containing the b-52s, julliana hatfield, and liz phair?), or it's just what i happened to be in the mood to listen to today (belle & sebastian, husker du, tom waits, and all the stuff not in english was made of win).

i'd be good with never hearing another bats for lashes tune again, but that's really the only minor quibble i had. liked it a lot. :up:

----------------------

I listened to Joey's list first because his lists have ranked in my last couple places every other DI we've ever both played in, and I just wanted to get it over with (probably how he feels about my lists, tbh). On paper, it looks kind of like a pet list full of this place's shitty pitchfork-endorsed favorites, which I assumed I'd hate because I heard a st Vincent song once that I thought sucked, or I fucking hated Fiona Apple back when I was in high school, or because bjork, etc. Basically, at a glance the final 1/3 of it has some stuff on paper that I might not hate, but it's the getting there that's going to be the difficult part. I also wanted to see what groove shark was actually about, so I did the stream option. Liked that quite a bit.

Nah, I actually liked most of it. It starts really strong and makes me think I shouldn't have written off Savages or The Horrors based on whatever silly reasons. Savages' song was particularly cool, like the missing link between the Dead Kennedys and the Violent Femmes or something. I was really digging the darkness up until that Liars track. The final 1/3 was good as I expected it to be--the transition between exit and the downward spiral was about as perfect a transition as you can possibly have. The transitions overall were solid, but that one was absolutely genius. I did absolutely despise mostly everything from Liars til St Vincent, predictably so. Liars would have been good if I could get the image of a douchebag with glow sticks out of my head, but alas, I could not. And the Prodigy...making me think all we needed to go totally off the deep end was that shitty Lo Fidelity Allstars band from however long ago. But once I got to the Smashing Pumpkins, all was good, and stayed good from there on out.

Sorry about the hassle, guys. I thought I used a fairly standard .zip program. If anyone wants me to reupload with another suggested program I'm happy to try it later.

i just don't know what it is that i need to open it. if it's this unarchiver thing, then yeah, i don't even know what that is.

side note: everyone except me in this group used a pj harvey song.

it's like that time everyone except for me in the whole competition used a tame impala song. only better, because pj harvey doesn't suck.

actually, looking at liam's list, that might be my winner (oh shit, one of my favorite husker du songs). :shifty: in the past, you sent things out in batches, right? having them all up front seems different, a good kind of different where i can listen to a crapload of them all back to back when i'm at my computer for hours on end. that way i don't have to try to make them portable for the parts of the week i don't turn my computer on at all.

it was probably only half the people who played, it just felt like everyone.

it's like that time everyone except for me in the whole competition used a tame impala song. only better, because pj harvey doesn't suck.

actually, looking at liam's list, that might be my winner (oh shit, one of my favorite husker du songs). :shifty: in the past, you sent things out in batches, right? having them all up front seems different, a good kind of different where i can listen to a crapload of them all back to back when i'm at my computer for hours on end. that way i don't have to try to make them portable for the parts of the week i don't turn my computer on at all.

It's also far more likely that the links stay active because people are downloading them with some regularity even when it isn't their turn.

It's also far more likely that the links stay active because people are downloading them with some regularity even when it isn't their turn.

makes sense. i also lose interest if i have to keep organzing and downloading things. do it all at once, i'm much less likely to enjoy the rest of the game because all i have to do after today is push play. well, except for laz's for now, and neils' list seems to be giving me issues.

Spinning Laz's list now. I cracked up at "Undercover (Of the Night)" before remembering how much of a jam it is.

That's what happened to me, I was thinking "this surprisingly works". And on paper, the Stones doing a dancy track in the mid-1980s sounds like a disaster.

I have started with IWB's and the first disc is an education for me into 60s music I have never listened to before. I'm looking up these songs and nearly all of them seem to have been a "smash hit" back in the day, but these artists are all completely off my radar because that's just never been my thing. So this list is already educational for me as I march on toward the punk power hour.

Those are all smash hit classic jamz of mine, and I really, really am anxiously awaiting listening to this, but apparently work has deemed that today is not a day that will be happening.

I have started with IWB's and the first disc is an education for me into 60s music I have never listened to before. I'm looking up these songs and nearly all of them seem to have been a "smash hit" back in the day, but these artists are all completely off my radar because that's just never been my thing. So this list is already educational for me as I march on toward the punk power hour.

i never wrote a blurb for mine or anything, but basically it's supposed to represent the first 15 years of my life as to what i was listening to (when i was grudgingly accepting that there was music other than the beatles worth listening to), and then the second half is representative of about 75% of the music i've been listening to for the 2nd 15 years of my life.

alright, i got laz's list open. i broke down and installed winzip to get 212er and LM's lists unzipped, and that took care of it.

now, someone solve me the problem of niel's list. because:
"The address wasn't understood

Firefox doesn't know how to open this address, because one of the following protocols (ttp) isn't associated with any program or is not allowed in this context.

You might need to install other software to open this address."

stop making me install shit :angry:

The URL is missing the "h" in "http." The working link takes you right to his Grooveshark list.

well shit, i should have seen that. i built my computer, i don't know how to actually use it.

The URL is missing the "h" in "http." The working link takes you right to his Grooveshark list.

:doh: Completely unsurprised that I fucked that up considering I sent it out at school, but I really should have caught it.

Hey, I am listening to Joey's playlist right now. I just finished the Steven Wilson song. Here are my thoughts so far. First of all, I want to say the 10 songs feel like one high-energy powered techno song flow. To make songs feel like one long song it quite a great feat. It flows very nicely too. Nice transitions, Joey. But I feel like it's a little repetitive since it's feel like one long song. And frankly, I love techno mixed with rock but some of the songs aren't my thing, to be honest. I like the Savages and Prodigy songs. Didn't care for the Liars song. I think I will like the 2nd half better with Smashing Pumpkins, Exit and Afraid of Everyone (hey, we picked the same song for DI this year!)

How are you guys listening to these? Are the playlists posted somewhere?

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Back
Top Bottom