Desert Island X: Group 1 Listening Thread - Page 8 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Just the Bang and the Clatter
Click Here to Login

Old 11-10-2014, 11:52 PM   #106
45:33

Local Time: 01:09 AM
People will likely have the same complaint about my list, at least the first third or so. It's all sort of minimal/deep house so I expect a few will hate that, though I find all the songs to be really good and interesting in their own right.

Old 11-11-2014, 12:36 AM   #107
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 06:09 AM
And for disc 2, overall, enjoyed it quite a bit, though, I hate to say it, it does get a bit tiring after awhile. Well worth it, though, because "Freedom's Dead (For You Not Me)" was my favorite song on the whole playlist (if only you'd used Sam Cooke's version of "Sweet Soul Music" ).

Old 11-11-2014, 12:54 AM   #108
The Male

Local Time: 06:09 AM
First disc is perfect. Second disc is simply too much. Everything is fine, but there's far too much of it.

It's funny to hear what IWB's tastes were like as a kid...what happened? Seriously though, punk disc was a lot of fun. It shouldn't be a surprise that I got a lot out of it, I recorded a punk album this year.

Now.
LemonMelon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 01:02 AM   #109
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 10:09 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilsFan View Post
I suppose I misinterpreted your comment about wanting to remind us that you like punk music with the second half of the list.
Oh ok, I think i just misread. I thought you were saying the point was that it's supposed to all sound the same.
Old 11-11-2014, 01:18 AM   #110
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 10:09 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bono_212;
if only you'd used Sam Cooke's version of "Sweet Soul Music" ).

I was actually going to.
Old 11-11-2014, 03:28 AM   #111
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 08:09 AM
Laz:

Logical digressions and movements through an eclectic set of tracks are always what get me. Exciting choices and deeper cuts from folks I want to listen to more of (Faces, Van Morrison, Saint Etienne). This jives with my sensibilities while also introducing more gateways to geekery. I'm a fan.

Killer tracks: "Freedom of '76" by Ween, "Glad and Sorry" by Faces, "Stepping Out Queen Part II" by Van Morrison, "Zipcode" by Saint Etienne

IWB:

I dig the whole conception of your list, splitting between a particular nostalgia and current taste. The R&B side explores a lot of micro sounds within that sphere, Stax, Motown, Phil Spector jams, the "Twist" phenomenon. Shit, seriously, any time I hear "Twistin' the Night Away" I can't grin like an idiot. Knowing how you approached that side helped me appreciate the second half -- the same strategy applied to a different set of tracks. Unfortunately, they just weren't for me. I liked being exposed to 'em though.

Killer Tracks: "Tracks of My Tears" by Smokey Robison & The Miracles, "Cohesion" by Patriot, "Baby, I Need Your Loving" by The Four Tops, "None of Us Who Are Free" by Solomon Burke, "Sweet Soul Music" by Sam & Dave

I'm about 2/3 of the way through Joey's then I'll be on Padj's list.
Old 11-11-2014, 09:44 AM   #112
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 09:09 AM
Laz:

I'm unfamiliar with most of the artists on this playlist, even the ones who I've heard of and are popular. Even had you used less deep cuts it still would have been off my radar. That whole last section of the first disc, the last four or five songs or so, that probably was the part that stuck with me more than the rest. The Van Morrison and Beach Boys songs were excellent, and they are both artists that I am largely unfamiliar with so it was nice to hear. In the second disc, you mix in some songs I already like (Los Campesinos! and PJ Harvey) mixed in with some new tracks I hadn't heard by bands I like (the M83 one for example). Everything on this list was pretty good, though I wouldn't say there were many standouts, which may have been the result of it being deeper cuts. My favorite tracks were probably Van Morrison, Beach Boys, Los Campesinos!, and The Twilight Singers.
Old 11-11-2014, 10:56 AM   #113
Blue Crack Addict

I like IWB's list so far.
Old 11-11-2014, 11:49 AM   #114
Blue Crack Addict

Joey:

Because this is the list with the most tracks I'm familiar with (I was able to load half the list straight from my own iTunes library), I focused more on the execution of the theme here. You can hear evidence of your theme immediately in this playlist. There's a frenetic, almost paranoid energy to the early tracks that effectively works with what you are trying to do, either in the vocal delivery, the composition of the music, or both. It dissipates a bit as the playlist moves on, as it transitions to a more grindy bass and synth sound in some of the tracks, though songs like Climbing Up the Walls keep some of the spirit of the theme going. If I had one criticism of the list, it's that it sort of lives in the same space the entire time as opposed to going from one place to another. Even something more up-and-down would seem a bit more appropriate for a theme of insanity as opposed to sort of lingering in a constant panic. But this is more nitpicking. Nicely done and a solid use of a lot of artists I'm a fan of.
Old 11-11-2014, 02:57 PM   #115
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilsFan View Post
Joey:

Because this is the list with the most tracks I'm familiar with (I was able to load half the list straight from my own iTunes library), I focused more on the execution of the theme here. You can hear evidence of your theme immediately in this playlist. There's a frenetic, almost paranoid energy to the early tracks that effectively works with what you are trying to do, either in the vocal delivery, the composition of the music, or both. It dissipates a bit as the playlist moves on, as it transitions to a more grindy bass and synth sound in some of the tracks, though songs like Climbing Up the Walls keep some of the spirit of the theme going. If I had one criticism of the list, it's that it sort of lives in the same space the entire time as opposed to going from one place to another. Even something more up-and-down would seem a bit more appropriate for a theme of insanity as opposed to sort of lingering in a constant panic. But this is more nitpicking. Nicely done and a solid use of a lot of artists I'm a fan of.

Agreed with the bulk of this, though I have to admit I can't get into Porcupine Tree at all. Silly-ass name, too.
Old 11-11-2014, 03:33 PM   #116
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMP View Post
Agreed with the bulk of this, though I have to admit I can't get into Porcupine Tree at all. Silly-ass name, too.
Thank you. I feel exactly the same way.
Old 11-11-2014, 05:37 PM   #117
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Just finished Padj's playlist.

Thoughts:

I really liked the beginning up until Sparks. Sad Lovers and Giants is a band I have just been getting into. Feeding the Flame is one of their better albums. When Sparks hit the playlists just became a little uninteresting to me because I felt like the playlist got a little repetitive. Then I gain interest again around Stereolab and Husker Du. I am not too fond of too many girl singers but I did like the PJ Harvey and Liz Phair songs. I really enjoyed the Spanish, Brazilian, and Italian influential songs sung in different languages. I try to look at life half full and it just seemed to agree with me musically. But my favorite stretch was Paulo Conte to Jehtro Tull. Great job, Padj. I am in the middle ground which it comes to this playlist. The flow was great and changing of the genres was seamless. I am not big into a lot of female singers but overall, it was quite enjoyable.
Old 11-11-2014, 06:31 PM   #118
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by gump View Post
Thank you. I feel exactly the same way.

Then I'm in good company. Very excited to dive into your Alt-Country list, by the way.
Old 11-11-2014, 07:01 PM   #119

Gump, I'm really disappointed there's no Courtney Barnett on your list.

Well I'm finished this group. Padj, I enjoyed your list in parts, not overall, I'm afraid. I definitely appreciate your entry because again it's a list that contains a lot of non-B&C touchstones, at least to my ears. Wasn't a big fan of the start, but good god Caribou-Cults might be my favourite 1-2 of the competition so far. Really need to listen to Our Love. Cults was a band I had dismissed a bit but that was a really good tune.

Wasn't much into the next section of the list, but the Cocteau Twins track brought me right back, might need to seek some of their work, and that track up until Tom Waits was pretty inspired, I thought. Unfortunately from then on you lost me a bit again.

Nothing bad on the list - just some sections that didn't do much for me I'm afraid. But overall, it's definitely a
Old 11-11-2014, 07:02 PM   #120

Now how does this points thing work LM?