Desert Island X: Group 1 Listening Thread - Page 5 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Just the Bang and the Clatter
Click Here to Login

Old 11-09-2014, 08:01 PM   #61
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 08:18 AM
Someone's going to need to explain to me how to get Laz's list functioning for me. I have a PC, WinRAR, and iTunes.

Old 11-09-2014, 08:22 PM   #62
45:33

Local Time: 12:18 AM
Literally all I did was unzip it (I've got a Macbook so I used Zipeg), made a new playlist in iTunes and then dragged the folder into the playlist and everything was in order.

Old 11-09-2014, 08:38 PM   #63
The Male

Local Time: 05:18 AM
Winzip should do the job.

Now.
LemonMelon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 08:38 PM   #64
Refugee

Just wrapped up IWB's playlist.

I really enjoyed the first part, as it did a great job of introducing me to artists and songs that have been a blind spot for me so far. The Sonics, Solomon Burke, Otis Redding and Smokey Robinson were particular highlights. I really enjoyed the overall flow, which kept the music in the same ballpark, but it didn't become repetitive.

As for part 2, I enjoy some bands on there, like Dropkick Murphys, but punk has always been something I've liked in spirit rather musically. Many of the songs started to bleed into each other for me, though that kept the transitions strong. I also loved how the playlist ended. That track collided the two sides of your list in the best way.
Old 11-09-2014, 08:49 PM   #65
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 09:18 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonMelon View Post
Winzip should do the job.
That's what I had to use. I had to download it, use it on laz, LM, vlad, and 212's, and then I uninstalled it because.
Old 11-09-2014, 09:00 PM   #66
Refugee

Thanks everyone for the kind words so far! Also, Cobbler, if you liked "Strip The Soul," I think you'll like the rest of In Absentia. One of my favorite albums.
Old 11-09-2014, 09:08 PM   #67

I realised I didn't like anywhere near as much out of context of listening to your list so it might be a while before I listen to In Absentia.
Old 11-09-2014, 09:11 PM   #68
Blue Crack Addict

Location: deep in absolutely bullshit historical theory/trauma theory
Local Time: 11:18 PM
Laz has "Weirdo" on his list, I just realised.
Old 11-09-2014, 09:24 PM   #69
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 09:18 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey788 View Post
Just wrapped up IWB's playlist.

I really enjoyed the first part, as it did a great job of introducing me to artists and songs that have been a blind spot for me so far. The Sonics, Solomon Burke, Otis Redding and Smokey Robinson were particular highlights. I really enjoyed the overall flow, which kept the music in the same ballpark, but it didn't become repetitive.

As for part 2, I enjoy some bands on there, like Dropkick Murphys, but punk has always been something I've liked in spirit rather musically. Many of the songs started to bleed into each other for me, though that kept the transitions strong. I also loved how the playlist ended. That track collided the two sides of your list in the best way.
Thanks
Old 11-09-2014, 09:28 PM   #70

Laz... the music in this Riff Glitchard song is fucking gorgeous.
Old 11-09-2014, 10:06 PM   #71

Saint Etienne sounds sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo much like Frente

for those who don't know:

Old 11-09-2014, 10:41 PM   #72

Laz I did not enjoy part two as much as part one. It started well, that Johnny Foreigner song was amazing, I could have listened to the first two-thirds of that forever. Reminded me a bit of my fav things about Dismemberment Plan and Broken Social Scene.Not an M83 song I’d heard, having only Hurry Up We Be Dreaming, but it was a good’un. Any list that contains L!o!s! C!a!m!p! gets bonus points from me. Deap Vally... decent song, one that I could see myself drooling over live, but not one that I think I’d come back to often. A lot of the middle ran together a bit for me (admittedly I am listening as I work, but otherwise I’d never get the listening done) and the the R&B/soul detour was not to my taste.

It did end well though. Twilight Singers snapped me out of a stupour, mostly because I was so surprised to be ejoying a song that featured banjo. And the Bettie Serveert was a real nice, breezy way to end things.
great job mannnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn
Old 11-09-2014, 10:54 PM   #73

I enjoyed that Johnny Foreigner song so much, in fact, that I looked the album up on Spotify. I got one-and-a-half songs in. It sounds fucking great, so I stopped, because I want to buy it. Can you tell me, dear Laz, if there is a digital version available? I can't see one. Only CD, which would cost me $22.
Old 11-10-2014, 02:13 AM   #74

About to start IWB's list. Pray for me
Old 11-10-2014, 03:39 AM   #75
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 05:18 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobl04 View Post
alright... Laz I’ve listened to the first part of your entry. Really enjoyed it. I’m glad you’ve become a DI participant, as I always find myself enjoying your lists a great deal, despite not knowing many of the artists. You’ve got quite eclectic taste and it’s refreshing to really dig a list that isn’t populated with artists that I already know reasonably well, which is what usually happens with me. I’m always finding new music I should check out, not in terms of genre, but artist.

Let’s Get the Party Going was an awesome opener, an absolutely joyous track. I did not laugh at the Rolling Stones song as I did not know it nor its context, I just enjoyed it for what it was, a good song. From then on the whole thing was pretty damn great. I was particularly taken with the Xtina track, the Nelly Furtago single was great. The Prince track shocked me a bit, it was the least Prince-y Prince song I’ve heard. (If there even is such a thing as a “Prince-y Prince song”, the dude defies genre.)
Thanks for the praise. Definitely hoping to share as many artists people weren't familiar with, or throw curveballs in the cases of Xtina, Stones, Prince etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilsFan View Post
Someone's going to need to explain to me how to get Laz's list functioning for me. I have a PC, WinRAR, and iTunes.
Quote:
Literally all I did was unzip it (I've got a Macbook so I used Zipeg), made a new playlist in iTunes and then dragged the folder into the playlist and everything was in order.
Try to import the .m3u if you can!

Quote:
The JoFo album mp3 is available on Amazon here, which is where I bought it. Looks like your country's Amazon doesn't have anything by them so you'd have to go through amazon.com or amazon.co.uk

I highly recommend their album Waited Up 'Til It Was Light, but they're all good. And we have Shouter to thank for introducing the band to B&C, just as he did with Los Campesinos! __________________