Desert Island X: Group 1 Listening Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
You know what's funny is I think I actually liked the one you used last round. Some one word title, think it was a girl's name? That one was good, but everything else exemplifies what I hate about certain majority opinions here.

How are you guys listening to these? Are the playlists posted somewhere?

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

No ones actually listening, it's all a giant kuntsmuseum conspiracy.

You know what's funny is I think I actually liked the one you used last round. Some one word title, think it was a girl's name? That one was good, but everything else exemplifies what I hate about certain majority opinions here.

I think that was Cobbler with "Laura." But yeah Bat for Lashes is pretty much unassailable in my opinion.

How are you guys listening to these? Are the playlists posted somewhere?

They have to be shared through PM or email because of copyright shit. If you want the links, I would be happy to send them along.

They have to be shared through PM or email because of copyright shit. If you want the links, I would be happy to send them along.

Sure that would be awesome! Never took part in this but I'd love to listen and discuss.

I think Axver envisioned 4 groups of 5 and I went with 5 groups of 4.

I don't have a problem with 24. If people aren't comfortable voting for their own list, I'll edit the first post. I would personally prefer to have more points available in order to avoid ties, but 24 should still be plenty.

Oh I pulled 30 completely out of thin air! I figured I'd just throw the general concept out there and let you tweak it at will if you liked it (I'm pretty pleased you do). I may or may not have thought of it while drunk...

That's definitely an exaggeration, because I would never use a Tame Impala song :p

Good god nor would I. What an awful band.

No ones actually listening, it's all a giant kuntsmuseum conspiracy.

:lol:

Sure that would be awesome! Never took part in this but I'd love to listen and discuss.

Sent. Really glad to see some outside listeners this time around, I don't think DI9 had any.

Sent. Really glad to see some outside listeners this time around, I don't think DI9 had any.

Statler-Waldorf-Head-Bobbing.gif

That's what happened to me, I was thinking "this surprisingly works". And on paper, the Stones doing a dancy track in the mid-1980s sounds like a disaster.

Got through your first disc and really connected with it -- Ween, Rilo Kiley, Van Morrison especially.

Hey, I am listening to Joey's playlist right now. I just finished the Steven Wilson song. Here are my thoughts so far. First of all, I want to say the 10 songs feel like one high-energy powered techno song flow. To make songs feel like one long song it quite a great feat. It flows very nicely too. Nice transitions, Joey. But I feel like it's a little repetitive since it's feel like one long song. And frankly, I love techno mixed with rock but some of the songs aren't my thing, to be honest. I like the Savages and Prodigy songs. Didn't care for the Liars song. I think I will like the 2nd half better with Smashing Pumpkins, Exit and Afraid of Everyone (hey, we picked the same song for DI this year!)

Continued thoughts. I love the Blur song. I enjoy the section with the female voices introduced. I think the Smashing Pumpkins song is a nice addition to your playlist, Joey. It also ended beautifully with that Porcupine Tree song. There were a couple songs I didn't enjoy and that was the Astronautails song and I don't like NIN early 90's stuff from the Downward Spiral too much. Overall, throughout the whole playlist it seemed to lyrical connect with your theme of losing your sanity/control and musically interpreted that as well. But it wasn't totally rockin' to my ears at times but I think you did a really good job, nevertheless. CIB

Exit >> the downward spiral = perfect. I believe the expression would be "dat transition tho."

I still think it was funny that Joey and I both used the same totally random NIN song last DI.

considering peef saying my list is a major musical blind spot for him, laz's disc 1 is pretty much that for me. probably the most stand out track was the prince song (especially since all i know about prince is he's the guy who went by the symbol for a while, i overlook him in terms of his badass guitar playing cos i've never gotten into his catalog, party like it's 1999, little red corvette, something about fruit & berets). overall, i enjoyed it in the funkier parts, not so much in the poppier parts. structure works well, and where do i know that damn rilo kiley song from?

on to disc 2.

disc 2 > disc 1.

saint etienne to the end was probably my favorite run of the entire thing. not having checked out deap valley at your insistence previously, i did like the selection from them a fair amount too.

:up: nice entry, laz.

where do i know that damn rilo kiley song from?

After I had already selected it for my playlist, I found out it was used prominently in the series finale (and maybe also the series pilot) of Weeds.

disc 2 > disc 1.
saint etienne to the end was probably my favorite run of the entire thing.

I struggled with this section in terms of whether or not the vibes/genres of the songs were segueing well, so good to hear, thanks.

That may be it. I watched that show. It was so bad, and then it totally went off the deep end to the point where I kept watching it because it was just so unbelievably bad that I had to see where they were going next.

Joey - loved your list. I suspect I didn't get quite the same sense of insanity that you had putting it together and being close to it, but it still came across really, really well.

There weren't many weak spots. Feral Love was a terrific opener, the transition from Liars to Prodigy was inspired, and I was quite taken with the Steven Wilson and EMA tracks, thought they sounded great after Climbing Up the Walls.

I hadn't heard the Bat for Lashes song and it blew me away. Clearly I need to get Two Suns. The Decemberists track was interesting in that it sounds so different to anything else I've heard from them. And the transition into Holy Water was seamless - at one point I found myself thinking "wow this is a really different Colin Meloy vocal" before quickly realising it was a new song.

I think Exit also fit fucking brilliantly, like to the point where I almost got a new appreciation for it, the menace of the thing really worked and helped set up the final little portion.

I also really fucking enjoyed the Porcupine Tree track. It's a level of "heavy" that I really like... I wonder would I enjoy the album? Always looking for some heavier stuff on my ipod.

So yeah I loved it, will surely be up there for me, and in terms of tracks/artists that I didn't know but really dug and will look to get into a bit more - Chelsea Wolfe, Steven Wilson, EMA, Porcupine Tree.

Gr8 job :up::up::up:

just on playlists that are themed around dark, heavy, insane sort of styles... Reggo had a playlist that captured that pretty much perfectly. Some of those tracks still haunt me.

just on playlists that are themed around dark, heavy, insane sort of styles... Reggo had a playlist that captured that pretty much perfectly. Some of those tracks still haunt me.

Reggo's list was legit creepy

That EMA song was easily my least favorite part of Jory's list. Godawful song. If it is even remotely representative of their (or is it one person?) sound then it's safe to say I would despise any other tracks.

But that Exit to the downward spiral transition...

So I've finished IWB's list. My experience of disc one was similar to Pfan's as I didn't know a single song on there even though there were plenty of famous artists. So it was definitely a good musical education and more importantly I enjoyed it a great deal. Stand-outs were the Morphine track and the Four Tops and Smokey Robinson duo.

The less said about disc 2 the better I think. Just not my cup of tea.

Morphine didnt really belong there from a technical chronology or official genre standpoint, and I almost left it out just for that reason. But then I remembered that was a stupid reason to cut a song, it sounded like it belonged musically to me, so I left it in.

No one is going to like disc 2. That's a given. I just have to make sure you guys remember what kind of music I like (for every time someone says i hate everything). But I'm glad you didn't hate part 1.

I'm probably going to like disc 2...and disc 1...if I could ever get around to listening.

For context's sakes, I'm running into these lists as blind as I can. I'm not going "this has seven tracks I like, this is the shortest list" or anything. Picking at random.

So, for Padj's list, dotpoints:

- the Total Control track passed me by when I first heard it outside of DI, but hearing it here gives it new life. Good stuff. Good opener. A little turgid though.

- this is not a good Sad Lovers and Giants song.

- Hey, this is a different mix of The 15th! Amazing song as always. Here's a pickup point?

- Whoa that was a tonal change. (Referring to Caribou.) Not an awful one though.

- Cults aren't bad! They're like a denser, more buried CHVRCHES. Can't hear a word of the vocals.

- I THINK I MIGHT BE SPARKS NEWEST FAN, HEY

- The B-52s are a real comedown after Virginia Plain. :(

- The Warehouse Husker tracks sound much better in isolation - never thought Up In The Air was all that great, but it stands out here.

- There's something about Speedy Ortiz's Throwing Muses' vocals which are incredibly offputting. That kind of whining sound?

- Speed Ortiz is pretty neat.

- Juliana Hatfield is a kick in the arse in the best possible way

- GEMS, however, are the opposite of a kick in the arse.

- The Bat For Lashes song - terrible intro, neat song. Sort of stuttery. Cool stuff. Has too many choruses, though.

- The Paolo Conte song is a perfect counterpart to Tom Waits - keeps the jazzy vibe while dialing down the weird.

tl;dr I liked it! There were some things I didn't like! But overall, pretty good!

alright... Laz I’ve listened to the first part of your entry. Really enjoyed it. I’m glad you’ve become a DI participant, as I always find myself enjoying your lists a great deal, despite not knowing many of the artists. You’ve got quite eclectic taste and it’s refreshing to really dig a list that isn’t populated with artists that I already know reasonably well, which is what usually happens with me. I’m always finding new music I should check out, not in terms of genre, but artist.

Let’s Get the Party Going was an awesome opener, an absolutely joyous track. I did not laugh at the Rolling Stones song as I did not know it nor its context, I just enjoyed it for what it was, a good song. From then on the whole thing was pretty damn great. I was particularly taken with the Xtina track, the Nelly Furtago single was great. The Prince track shocked me a bit, it was the least Prince-y Prince song I’ve heard. (If there even is such a thing as a “Prince-y Prince song”, the dude defies genre.) Loooooved the Funkadelic track, and that three-song stretch of Funkadelic-Ween-Lemonheads was really good, loved the Lemonheads song in particular.

The last quarter grabbed me a little less, although I took notice of the Beach Boys song because it was sooooooo not what I know of the Beach Boys.

Finished brilliantly with Van Morrison. I really, really have to look into more of his music.

Will have thoughts on part two later today.

also I had no trouble with your list at all. Downloaded fine and then I just dragged the two folders into an itunes playlist and the tracks were all ordered perfectly.

Back
Top Bottom