Desert Island X: Group 1 Listening Thread - Page 12 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Just the Bang and the Clatter
Click Here to Login

Old 11-14-2014, 01:13 PM   #166
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 03:01 AM
Laz, the second half of your list was as fluid and dynamic as the first. Again, the unfamiliarity of many of the artists kept me engaged, and I greatly enjoyed the little throw-back stretch toward the end (any excuse to have Nina Simone on one of these lists is a good one). I could not for the life of me get your list to unzip, so I put together a YouTube playlist, which might have resulted in me getting strange versions of some of the songs; the Sarah Shannon track especially felt completely out of place, so I'm thinking it probably wasn't the version you intended. I also was not able to find the closing track anywhere, but the Twilight Singers acted as a perfect conclusion - definitely a band I need to look into. You're clearly one of the most eclectic music fans here, and the list reflects that in the best way possible.

Old 11-14-2014, 01:35 PM   #167
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 01:01 AM
Finishing up with Joey, here.

Old 11-14-2014, 01:42 PM   #168
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 04:01 AM
Laz:

I know I have heard that Warwick song before, and it's driving me fucking crazy that I can't recall when I previously heard it. But a great opener, as others have said. Looks like the UK label that released that compilation has a few others. Might be worthwhile to go through that whole series at some point.

The rest of Part 1 consisted of many artists that I'm familiar with, but not necessarily the specific songs you chose, which was your goal anyway. Obviously know Undercover, really the only great song from that album. Hearing Luscious Jackson brings me back to the 90's in a fond way - we promoted their first two albums nonstop at the music store I worked in back in the day. Fun times. Although I used to get irritated when people confused them with Veruca Salt, for whatever reason.

Really dug the Christina song, and I don't normally care for her. But that was a good jam. Always great to hear FM, although as was previously stated, the transition from Phoenix didn't really work. Obviously, not much you can do about it if you really wanted that specific song on there. Ween is a band I've just never enjoyed, but you followed that with the Lemonheads, who are fantastic. Saw them back in 1993 at a spring fling type of event at school, and they fucking rocked. I even had a special Lemonheads t-shirt for that event, and I lost it shortly after. My only memory of it is from a pic now.

Anyway, moving on. Really like the Blue Öyster Cult track. At some point I will dig into the rest of their stuff. Strong showings by The Faces, Beach Boys, and Van really finished this part off in style. Just a great listen almost all the way through.

Part 2 was a bit more hit or miss for me. Love me some M83 and New Order, but I'm also one of those exceptions around here that doesn't care for Los Campesinos! or PJ Harvey - I know, sacrilegious. You've been championing Deap Vally for a while now, and it's easy to understand why. Great fucking sound, although it seems like it should go on a bit further. Is that the only version of that song? Almost felt like an early fade out you'd hear on a promotional single or something.

The transition from Au Pairs to Stricken City was a bit rough due to the suddeness of the former's ending, but really dug the latter song. And including anything from Eno is always a plus in my book.

I almost put a Saint Etienne track on my playlist, but it didn't quite fit. Love this track; always dug her voice. Also liked the inclusion of Nina Simone, and it worked well after Amy Winehouse. Finally, I remember that Bettie Serveert album, but hell if I can recall anything from it. It didn't give me any impression either way at the time, but I guess I'll have to give it another runthrough at some point.

So Part 1 was awesome, Part 2 ok.
Old 11-14-2014, 03:50 PM   #169
The Male

New thread going up in a few hours.

FWIW, if you can't get your rankings to me today, that's fine. I'm not announcing who went through until after all five groups are done, so nothing is set in stone until then.

Now.
LemonMelon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 04:57 PM   #170
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 05:01 AM
Damn, I'm going to take that as high praise from laz. Especially since his quibbles with disc 1 I can totally agree with. Morphine doesn't really belong, and who hasn't heard twist & shout/the twist a million times.

You know why there's no slightly more obscure Rancid song? Because I forgot. There should have been, especially given the nature of ridiculously long-winded novel I wrote you guys in my short-lived thread for their new album. All the personal importance I attribute to that band being the foundation of what I was essentially getting at with disc 2 in the first place, goes back to Rancid. Kind of like a DI or two ago when phanan pointed out he was surprised not to see a single dropkick murphys song on a list. I got sidetracked by all the other stuff (probably because my list-making strategy needs some work), and left them off. Dammit.

I love that first Roger Miret & the Disasters album. In a lot of ways, I wish he'd stop trying to make more Agnostic Front albums, and stick to stuff like the disasters. All their albums have been these great homages to their roots and the roots of punk rock, in addition to being solid songs (there was a bit about the 2nd album I didn't particularly care for, but overall still decent).
Old 11-14-2014, 05:06 PM   #171
The Male

Holy fuck I love Padj's list. There are 10 songs on this list that I hadn't heard before and most of them have been really good. GEMS, Sad Lovers & Giants, Juliana Hatfield, Lush...all great. Very natural flow with only a few transitions I was iffy on (Juliana Hatfield into Lush was probably the best choice you could have made with what you had but still a little clunky, Metronomy into Tom Waits was definitely forced). I have no idea how you made Caribou work, but you did. I also really dig all the prog and Tropicalia near the end. Caravan

Now.
Old 11-14-2014, 05:57 PM   #172
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 10:01 AM
So Laz, I actually listened to your list twice as I listened to it in the worng order the first time around. The fact I was a bit more familiar with the songs the second time definitely wasn't a bad thing and surprise, surprise the flow was a lot better.

I'm seemingly the only one who didn't like the opening track. It gets going for me with the Rolling Stones track followed by Here. Didn't mind the next two songs but I didn't love them either. I pretty much enjoyed everything from there on out though. On Fire showed me a side of Phoeix I didn't know of havig only heard the last two albums. I could say something about every track but that would get a bit long so I'll just say I enjoyed the mellower vibe at the back-end of part 1 and have added a lot of those artists to my must-chck-out list.

The opening duo of part 2 was probably the highlight of your mix. The first song had a great climax that segued brilliantly into the opening of the M83 track. Don't Save Us From the Flames has been my jam of the past few days. I'm in love with that song. Didn't even notice the similarity to Use Somebody until I read some Youtube comments. Other than that, I liked everything bar Polly Put the Kettle On. So all in all, a very good contribution.
Old 11-14-2014, 06:11 PM   #173
The Male

Laz, just started your list. Funny, I have a somewhat distant connection to Cotton Jones. My mom's best friend's son is the lead singer. I've been over at his house countless times, went to a wedding with him a few years ago. We chatted about Harry Nilsson over cake.

Now.
Old 11-14-2014, 07:34 PM   #174
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Padj: As others, I really enjoyed your list, especially the fact that it covered artists that we don't always talk about here. I honestly don't know how you managed to go from Chico Buarque to Belle and Sebastian in two steps. Seriously. Buarque's inclusion, by the way, hit a soft spot. He's one the big Brazilian musicians of my father's generation, so he would be on constant rotation growing up. Juliana Hatfield and Lush were great discoveries. Off stuff that I already new, Cate Le Bon, Caribou and Speedy Ortiz worked great in the context of the playlist.
Old 11-14-2014, 07:46 PM   #175
The Male

I'm not completely finished with Laz's list but about a third way into disc 2, I'm really feeling it. Though I would love to take a crack at sequencing disc 1 (everything made sense as a whole, but certain songs maybe would have fit better earlier or later on the list, like that Phoenix track), the songs were generally of very high quality. I loved that Van Morisson song and hadn't heard it before. So good. What I didn't like was that MIA-sounding Nelly Furtado song. What the hell is going on there?

Up to the Au Pairs song (which rocks) on disc 2. Everything is flowing great and I already got one great discovery out of the Johnny Foreigner track.

Now.
Old 11-14-2014, 08:21 PM   #176
Blue Crack Distributor

Well, Joey, here's my thing: I like this list and most of the songs on it (I've never liked The Prodigy), but what I don't get is the concept. If there was no concept, this would be fine. Because you mentioned the concept, I sorta feel the need to judge it to the concept, and for most of the playlist, I thought you stuck to the general idea, song or two aside (such as the Bowie track), but for the entirety of the Decemberists - National stretch, I didn't really feel like it was well executed.

So, not exactly sure how to rate, as far as that's concerned.

Loved the Chelsea Wolfe and EMA songs, especially, though.
Old 11-15-2014, 09:55 AM   #177
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

IWB, the first half of your list is one of my favorite DI entries I've heard. There was a nostalgia factor to it for me, as my dad used to listen to a lot of those songs in the car when I was a little kid. I need to look into Morphine, because that was a standout track for me. On to part 2 today.
Old 11-15-2014, 11:50 AM   #178
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Padj, there was an eccentricity to this list that made it consistently enjoyable. I never knew quite what to expect next, but as a whole the list still managed to hang together, which is an impressive feat. I listened to this three or four days ago, so I'm struggling to remember specific songs that stood out (though I was glad to see Gems on there, which was arguably the best EP of last year), but overall I appreciate the willingness to craft a list that will stand out from the crowd.
Old 11-16-2014, 04:19 PM   #179
Refugee

Laz:

I really enjoyed your list, with the second half being one of my favorite stretches so far. The segment from Johnny Foreigner to Brian Eno was pretty perfect and featured many songs I didn't know. Why didn't that PJ Harvey song make the album? It's fantastic.

I also greatly enjoyed how you mixed in newer songs with the classic rock numbers in the first half. It really showed a continuous thread through music history. Even the songs I thought I wouldn't like, such as Christina Aguilera and Amy Winehouse worked really well.

The only weak points for me were the Phoenix/Steely Dan transition and the Van Morrison track, which I just couldn't get into. Otherwise, this was a great listen.
Old 11-17-2014, 05:14 AM   #180
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 10:01 AM
Padj:

To start off, I love the title+artwork. And now the "important" stuff, the music. Your list had an amazing variety. It's incredible how many different genres you managed to cram into 110 minutes without the transitions sounding forced or anything.

I enjoyed the post-punk opening and the transition to Silver, although it seems weird on paper, worked well. It's easily one of my favorites of the new Caribou album so that was great. The following section of your playlist was my least favorite. The Cate Le Bon track especially was not my thing.

From Stereolab onwards though it got better again. The stand-outs for me were Speedy Ortiz and Cocteau Twins. Two bands I need to check out. And general I loved the more dreamy section the best.

The more exotic songs at the end weren't my thing either sadly. It wasn't bad but it's just not something I listen to or greatly enjoy. I did like the peaceful ending of the last few tracks.

So all in all, I enjoyed your list and from the perspective of discovering of new music it'll certainly be one of the best. I really want to check out all of Total Control, Wire, Speedy Ortiz, Liz Phair, Cocteau Twins, GEMS and Belle & Sebastian. The variety also meant there were sections I didn't enjoy but that's par for the course I guess.