Desert Island X: Group 1 Listening Thread - Page 11 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Just the Bang and the Clatter

Old 11-13-2014, 05:19 PM   #151
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 09:58 PM
And now I accidentally closed the second post. I give.

I'm really enjoying the list. It's got a nice flow and feel to it and there are a number of songs I enjoy a great deal. I'm especially fond of that Gems track, and will be checking out more.

Old 11-13-2014, 05:43 PM   #152
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 12:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bono_212 View Post
I'm almost positive that my playlist is going to have the same problem, fwiw, IWB.
same problem as what? you've got eels, tina turner, and afi on there. i haven't listened to it yet but there is no possible way i can see that all sounding like too much of the same thing.

Old 11-13-2014, 05:44 PM   #153
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by IWasBored View Post
same problem as what? you've got eels, tina turner, and afi on there. i haven't listened to it yet but there is no possible way i can see that all sounding like too much of the same thing.
, I meant in regards to the end. I've listened to it through twice since I submitted it and both times I felt like the end went on a little too long, but maybe I shouldn't have said anything until you all heard it, because now you have preconceived negative notions!!!
Old 11-13-2014, 05:49 PM   #154
Blue Crack Distributor

Alright, Padj, finished up now. I appreciated what you were trying to do from Tom Waits > End, but it really just wasn't my cup of tea, unfortunately, though I did love the closer. Doesn't detract from an overall great listening experience, though. Good stuff .
Old 11-13-2014, 05:53 PM   #155
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
, I meant in regards to the end. I've listened to it through twice since I submitted it and both times I felt like the end went on a little too long, but maybe I shouldn't have said anything until you all heard it, because now you have preconceived negative notions!!!
on the contrary, it means i have absolutely no idea what to expect but i'm going to go listen and find out now.
Old 11-13-2014, 05:57 PM   #156
Blue Crack Distributor

Yesss....all according to plan.
Old 11-13-2014, 06:02 PM   #157
Blue Crack Addict

I listened to Padj's last night and thought it was solid. As someone who is very focused on lyrics, songs in another language are tougher for me to get into, but I appreciated the changeup it threw into things and it's not like it was a long part of the list. I think this is the first Cate Le Bon track I've actually listened to even though I saw her open for Warpaint back in March. I think my favorite song on this list that I hadn't heard before was the GEMS song, and this list also served as a reminder that I really need to get into Tom Waits at some point. Anyway, nice work.
Old 11-13-2014, 06:14 PM   #158
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 11:58 PM
Just finished Tracks of My Tears on IWB's Playlist Part 1.

I really like this playlist and I can see your diverse musical tastes from Ducky Boys to Smokey Robison. I have always loved soul and I really like my Johnny Rivers' greatest hits album I give a spin every now and then.

Let's get the bad news out of the way first, the transition from Secret Agent Man to Walk, Don't Run was a little rough. So was Strychnine to Buena. The flow was hit or miss throughout the playlist. My favorite stretch was 7-10.

Good news now: The Solomon song was sweet soul fun. I knew about half of the songs and I liked the ones I didn't know. Everything on this playlist is better than any Maroon 5 song on the radio today. The radio actually used to be good then (I wasn't around then but I hear so) and in the 90's. And today's radio is just ok compared to previous decades, in my opinion.

More listening on the way...
Old 11-13-2014, 06:34 PM   #159
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Finished Part 1, IWB. 13-15 was my favorite stretch.

Nice to see familiar artists that I hear about but don't know too well (Buddy Holly) and artists I know I love (Beatles, The Who.) Great job, IWB. Puts me in a good. I was already in a good mood, so in a better mood then. Thank you.
Old 11-13-2014, 08:10 PM   #160
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Ok, IWB, I finished your Part 2.

I agree with what other people have said, it is a little wearisome after some time and when I hear a couple songs I feel like the next one doesn't change that much musically for me. I like some punk like Bad Religion and Alkaline Trio but I have to be in the mood. Maybe I wasn't in the mood for it today. Sorry, IWB. Just not my cup of tea.

But what stood out for me was definitely your part 1.
Old 11-13-2014, 09:06 PM   #161
Blue Crack Addict

Location: deep in absolutely bullshit historical theory/trauma theory
Local Time: 03:58 PM
Dug the first half of Laz's list. I'm not sure if I'd agree with it being the aftermath of a party, though - the first like seven songs made me want to get up and groove about. I also really dug the Lemonheads song, which I was not expecting to like so much. After that, it sort of dies down and gets a little away from what I was liking, and so I wasn't massively into it, but it ends really well with that Van Morrison song. It's very Neil Young-ish.

Will give second half thoughts later on.
Old 11-14-2014, 02:08 AM   #162
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Padj

Really, really enjoyed this. Impeccable flow, and lots of great songs. Highlights were the post-punk one-two punch of Sad Lovers & Giants and Wire(that Wire song was really good), Roxy Music and Cate Le Bon, the whole stretch from Liz Phair to Cocteau Twins, Metronomy, and the closing two songs, Caravan and Jethro Tull(I really dug that Jethro Tull song). All of these were new to me, so that's good. As a side note, I thought Metronomy sounded a lot like Arcade Fire. Like, at first I thought I was listening to an Arcade Fire song I'd never heard, that's how much I thought the guy sounded like Win Butler. This is a good thing, btw, I love Arcade Fire, so this means I like Metronomy if they always sound like that. Also, I dug hearing that handful of songs in other languages. It's always interesting to listen to songs where you don't understand a word and it doesn't seem to matter because you're still enjoying it. Good job!

Joey

Just in terms of sonic cohesion, I think this is one of the best DI lists I've ever listened to. These songs sounded like they were supposed to be on a list together. The industrial theme, carried out from beginning to end with such discipline, created a real atmosphere. It actually put me in a certain state of mind. From your introductory paragraph, this seems like exactly what you had in mind. So, for this listener anyway, you accomplished what you set out to do. That is an accomplishment. Favorite songs - Climbing Up The Walls, Zero, Intervention, and of course Exit are old favorites, while the Porcupine Tree and National songs were my favorite new discoveries(I've never heard the National sound quite like that before, that seemed so much more…colorful than they usually are). Also, the NIN, Bowie, and Bat For Lashes songs were nice re-visitations of songs I hadn't listened to in a long time. Great job!

Others coming tomorrow....might be late tomorrow night though, I'm traveling. Nearly finished listening to Laz's list now, but it's too late right now to type my thoughts out. Will listen to IWB's list while traveling tomorrow and post my thoughts probably late tomorrow night.
Old 11-14-2014, 02:29 AM   #163
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
- You actually got me to enjoy something by Steely Dan, good job. Equally surprised to find how much I enjoyed that XTina track.
Yeah, that Dan song was actually fairly popular back in the day, but because it's not on a studio album doesn't get as much attention. And I hoped the Xtina would go over well; the song was co-written with Santigold and it sounds much more like her stuff. Inexplicably, Christina left it off the album proper and it was only on the bonus disc.

Quote:
- Not surprising, the Bash and Pop song, after you gave us a setup for who they are.
I also put this right next to the Faces track, to highlight the similarities. I think the Bash & Pop could easily pass for something from that era.

Quote:
- That wasn't what I was expecting Ween to sound like.

- Things I didn't care much for: Nelly Furtado, she really just never seems to work out for me. Also the transition from Phoenix to Steely Dan, in what was otherwise a pretty flawless piece of work.
Ween sounds different on practically every song, so you're rolling the dice every time. They're really worth checking out.

I was worried about that transition The Phoenix track has an abrupt ending because it segues directly into the following song on the album. I could have found some way to edit it but didn't really want to "cheat" in that way, plus it would have been a lot of work.

Quote:
- Stricken City is that band you turned me onto a couple years back, right?
- I clearly need to hear more Eno/Cale.
- The closer and the song by Sarah Shannon remind me a bit of some of my favorite songs that played on the Quiznos radio, so that made me wonderfully nostalgic.
I discovered Stricken City through a Pitchfork review that sounded intriguing. Was able to order their CD from the UK for a very low price, and it even came with a DVD. I have definitely hyped them a couple times.

Can't stress enough how good the Eno/Cale album is. Very pleasurable

And I think many people would enjoy Bettie Serveert if they tried an album or too. Singer sounds a lot like Jenny Lewis, and like one of their main influences the Velvet Underground, they can do delicate ballads just as well as their long jam-outs. They were a fairly popular indie band in the 90s due to being on Matador, and the albums Palomine or Dust Bunnies would probably be a good place to start.

Quote:
Originally Posted by liamcool View Post
Dug the first half of Laz's list. I'm not sure if I'd agree with it being the aftermath of a party, though - the first like seven songs made me want to get up and groove about. I also really dug the Lemonheads song, which I was not expecting to like so much. After that, it sort of dies down and gets a little away from what I was liking, and so I wasn't massively into it, but it ends really well with that Van Morrison song. It's very Neil Young-ish.
When I finished the list I was a little disappointed that I wasn't able to pick up the pace again, or keep the fun going for a few tracks longer. But I got more caught up in the transitions then the overall picture, I suppose, and there were too many mellower tracks that I couldn't bear to part with.
Old 11-14-2014, 02:44 AM   #164
Blue Crack Supplier

Finally, my own notes:

IWB: Roots is easily one of the more pleasurable listens I've had, including going back to last year's DI. Many of these aren't deep, sophisticated tracks per se, but the collection certainly sticks out among the alternative/indie stuff that is so commonplace. Refreshing. A good mix of seminal "oldies" artists with some names that should have a lot more airplay. My one quibble would be that the trilogy of "twist" songs were a little too familiar in that they're all fairly overplayed compared to most of your other selections. Oh yeah, and I'm not sure if the anachronism of Morphine's presence works among all these classic acts.

Boots isn't so much a challenge, but as others have pointed out, a lack of familiarity with the genre can lead to an impression of redundancy. That said, I didn't find myself disliking much so it wasn't a difficult listen. I was surprised at how much Roger Miret sounded like Rancid, and then I was wondering how come you didn't get a lesser-known Rancid track on here. I'll agree with whoever singled out Cocksparrer; definitely one of the stronger cuts on here. Also dug the Sham 69 and the Criminal Class USA. And I liked hearing the trumpet on the Stage Bottles track.

Joey: I appreciate your conceptual approach having to do with atmosphere more than lyrical content or theme, and on that level it's certainly a success. I think a few people complained about Chelsea Wolfe as an opener, but I didn't have that problem. Wasn't familiar with her work but I found it intriguing. About half of the stuff I was already familiar with and for the most part liked hearing in this context (though I have to agree with LM on Intervention). Many other tracks were by bands I'd heard a lot about but hadn't had the chance to check out, like Savages, The Horrors, Bat For Lashes, EMA. I guess the downside would be that because you were selecting for tone, some of the tracks (for me) weren't representative of the artists' better work. But overall, some impressive transitions and a good blend of the familiar and "exotic".

Going to give Padj's entry another spin tomorrow (it was the first one I listened to) as there were even more artists I was new to, as well as ones I hadn't even heard of before, and would like to make more specific comments.
Old 11-14-2014, 03:45 AM   #165
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

I had to track down that Velvet Tinmine compilation. Good lord.