Desert Island VIII: Rules and Signup Thread - Page 5 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Just the Bang and the Clatter
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 12-12-2010, 10:06 PM   #61
Blue Crack Addict
 
phanan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: in the darkness on the edge of town
Posts: 25,060
Local Time: 08:22 AM
1. bono_212
2. Axver
3. Reggo
4. Screwtape2
5. Joey788
6. namkcuR
7. oneblood
8. coolian2
9. the tourist
10. LemonMelon
11. Cute Irish Bono
12. KhanadaRhodes
13. cobl04
14. The Sad Punk
15. collapse
16. Mr. V
17. GAF
18. ultraviolet92
19. IWasBored
20. iron yuppie
ALT 1. phanan
ALT 2.
__________________

__________________
phanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 02:09 AM   #62
The Fly
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 130
Local Time: 09:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axver View Post
Hah, no shit, it's rare when people around here think Metal Island sounds like an enjoyable idea! Stick around, because I will unleash it at some point. I'm just not totally happy with it yet, so I'm not using it this time around. I don't want it to become my DI Chinese Democracy though. It'll be interesting to see how the forum responds, because it starts fairly tame (Alcest, Psychotic Waltz, Devin Townsend) and builds up to Norwegians shrieking while they throw a drumkit down a stairwell (i.e. Immortal and early Ulver). Judging by past experience, I'll lose everybody around about Borknagar.

As for this time, I hope you like Kyuss, because that's the only out-and-out metal I'm using. There is Amesoeurs as well, but I consider them post-punk more than anything.
i actually have not heard kyuss or amesoeurs, so i am looking forward to it. new music is good and new metal is better (not to be confused with nu-metal, which is probably not better.)

immortal and ulver, i approve. not super into either of them but i have heard them of course. sure don't know borknagar though. seems like you could introduce me to a lot of stuff i havent heard yet. and i think for most people the big hurdle to overcome with metal is the vocals. most people can tolerate some rocking out with clean vocals, but once the vocals get heavy it becomes unlistenable until you get used to it. i know it took awhile for me to become accustomed to it, but it was so worth it. now at least half of what i listen to on average has mostly screaming vocals.

i will not reveal the artists on my list, and it is a work in progress, but genres represented include symphonic black metal, post-metal, doom metal, stoner metal, progressive metal, folk metal, and metalcore (i know, i know, if you're a purist you probably don't consider anything 'core' to be metal, but i love the stuff when it's done right).

my list has plenty of indie and whatnot too though, so people not named axver need not dispair.

also i have a question to all participants, and especially those who have done this before. um... 160 minutes is a really long time. what's the best way to approach this? i'm kind of a nerd and like to make playlists that flow really well and whatnot. but i don't really feel like i can make a 160 playlist that feels cohesive, not with the variety i want to use anyway. do most people split it up into seperate playlists or is it more common to just have it be one thing?
__________________

__________________
collapse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 02:17 AM   #63
45:33
 
cobl04's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: East Point to Shaolin
Posts: 55,020
Local Time: 12:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by collapse View Post
also i have a question to all participants, and especially those who have done this before. um... 160 minutes is a really long time. what's the best way to approach this? i'm kind of a nerd and like to make playlists that flow really well and whatnot. but i don't really feel like i can make a 160 playlist that feels cohesive, not with the variety i want to use anyway. do most people split it up into seperate playlists or is it more common to just have it be one thing?
i split my VII entry into eight parts, essentially i had four seperate "albums" if you like, roughly 40 mins each, with a side A and side B, so it's not a big deal.

impy also submitted a list that was only 80 or so mins long, so there's no minimum.
__________________
cobl04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 07:16 AM   #64
War Child
 
ultraviolet92's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Australia
Posts: 672
Local Time: 12:22 AM
i am new to this thread but excited
how do we see eachothers if they are all PM'd to Phanan?
__________________
ultraviolet92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 10:00 AM   #65
Blue Crack Addict
 
onebloodonelife's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 15,106
Local Time: 08:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. V View Post
I'm going somewhere near there.
Awesome, I can't wait for this!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobl04 View Post
two 2000s club bangers lists is absolutely fine with me woop woop woop
And apparently neither can Cobbler!

Quote:
Originally Posted by collapse View Post
also i have a question to all participants, and especially those who have done this before. um... 160 minutes is a really long time. what's the best way to approach this? i'm kind of a nerd and like to make playlists that flow really well and whatnot. but i don't really feel like i can make a 160 playlist that feels cohesive, not with the variety i want to use anyway. do most people split it up into seperate playlists or is it more common to just have it be one thing?
I don't think I've split mine before (though I might this round), but none of my lists have been at the 160 mark, if I'm remembering correctly. Usually, I just try to make a list that's cohesive and comes to a natural close.
__________________
onebloodonelife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 01:11 PM   #66
Blue Crack Addict
 
phanan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: in the darkness on the edge of town
Posts: 25,060
Local Time: 08:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ultraviolet92 View Post
i am new to this thread but excited
how do we see each others if they are all PM'd to Phanan?
I release the playlists five at a time for everyone to listen. We break it up so that it's not too overwhelming, as 20 is a lot to hear all at once. We give everyone plenty of time to enjoy each other's playlists.

The first post of this thread goes into more detail.
__________________
phanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 05:28 PM   #67
ONE
love, blood, life
 
namkcuR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Kettering, Ohio
Posts: 10,286
Local Time: 08:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by phanan View Post
I release the playlists five at a time for everyone to listen. We break it up so that it's not too overwhelming, as 20 is a lot to hear all at once. We give everyone plenty of time to enjoy each other's playlists.

The first post of this thread goes into more detail.
About that...I seem to recall some people having trouble with even five at a time last time. Any chance we could break it up even further and have, maybe, two at a time at slightly more frequent intervals, or even one at a time? That way, there would be more of a chance of everyone talking about the same playlist at the same time. Thoughts?
__________________
namkcuR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 05:45 PM   #68
Vocal parasite
 
Axver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: 1853
Posts: 151,008
Local Time: 12:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by collapse View Post
i actually have not heard kyuss or amesoeurs, so i am looking forward to it. new music is good and new metal is better (not to be confused with nu-metal, which is probably not better.)

immortal and ulver, i approve. not super into either of them but i have heard them of course. sure don't know borknagar though. seems like you could introduce me to a lot of stuff i havent heard yet. and i think for most people the big hurdle to overcome with metal is the vocals. most people can tolerate some rocking out with clean vocals, but once the vocals get heavy it becomes unlistenable until you get used to it. i know it took awhile for me to become accustomed to it, but it was so worth it. now at least half of what i listen to on average has mostly screaming vocals.
Kyuss (along with Sleep) basically invented stoner metal. Welcome To Sky Valley is just one big spectacular riffathon of an album. As for Amesoeurs, they were a side project of Neige of Alcest that blurred post-punk and black metal ... the track I'm using falls on the post-punk side of what they did.

I barely even notice the change between clean and harsh vocals nowadays, I suppose from years of listening to bands that use both, like Opeth and Orphaned Land. But I certainly see why people find it hard to get used to; I got into extreme metal via Opeth's Bleak, because Steven Wilson of Porcupine Tree guests in it. I loved SW's passage so much that I kept playing the song and got used to Mikael Akerfeldt's growled vocals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by collapse View Post
i will not reveal the artists on my list, and it is a work in progress, but genres represented include symphonic black metal, post-metal, doom metal, stoner metal, progressive metal, folk metal, and metalcore (i know, i know, if you're a purist you probably don't consider anything 'core' to be metal, but i love the stuff when it's done right).

my list has plenty of indie and whatnot too though, so people not named axver need not dispair.
I can totally get behind most of those genres. I tend to be skeptical towards metalcore and I don't think I've yet heard anything I'd rate highly from the genre, but on the other side of the coin, I don't understand quite why it gets such a huge backlash that assumes any album labelled as metalcore immediately has no merit whatsoever.

I can't talk too much anyway, the black metal I like the most is not the "trve kvlt" stuff. Or isn't these days. I remember when liking Agalloch made you very trve.
__________________
"Mediocrity is never so dangerous as when it is dressed up as sincerity." - Søren Kierkegaard

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Axver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 05:46 PM   #69
Vocal parasite
 
Axver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: 1853
Posts: 151,008
Local Time: 12:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobl04 View Post
impy also submitted a list that was only 80 or so mins long, so there's no minimum.
Hadn't we declared a minimum of 80:01, i.e. longer than Mini DI?
__________________
"Mediocrity is never so dangerous as when it is dressed up as sincerity." - Søren Kierkegaard

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Axver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 06:00 PM   #70
The Fly
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 130
Local Time: 09:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axver View Post
But I certainly see why people find it hard to get used to; I got into extreme metal via Opeth's Bleak, because Steven Wilson of Porcupine Tree guests in it.
.
haha that's a song i am using on my playlist XD sooo good
__________________
collapse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 12:04 AM   #71
War Child
 
ultraviolet92's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Australia
Posts: 672
Local Time: 12:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by phanan View Post
I release the playlists five at a time for everyone to listen. We break it up so that it's not too overwhelming, as 20 is a lot to hear all at once. We give everyone plenty of time to enjoy each other's playlists.

The first post of this thread goes into more detail.
alright thanks dude
do you reccomend any program/website to do this playlist to upload ? since i have never done this before

thankyou!
__________________
ultraviolet92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 06:28 AM   #72
45:33
 
cobl04's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: East Point to Shaolin
Posts: 55,020
Local Time: 12:22 AM
i tried to make one long playlist for this, but it's too hard. i can't get 30 songs together and make them all fit and all that... so mine will be split in two most likely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axver View Post
Hadn't we declared a minimum of 80:01, i.e. longer than Mini DI?
probably. impy's list was probably more like 90 mins, now that i think about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultraviolet92 View Post
alright thanks dude
do you reccomend any program/website to do this playlist to upload ? since i have never done this before

thankyou!
once you've got your playlist in itunes or whatever, zip it, and then use megaupload.com to upload it. you'll get a link, which you'll then send to phanan
__________________
cobl04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 06:36 AM   #73
Blue Crack Supplier
 
IWasBored's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 36,503
Local Time: 09:22 AM
4 sides, like if i had 2 90 minute tapes is what i'm leaning toward at the moment, but i'm sure the more i think about it that will change.
__________________
IWasBored is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 07:17 AM   #74
Blue Crack Addict
 
phanan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: in the darkness on the edge of town
Posts: 25,060
Local Time: 08:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by namkcuR View Post
About that...I seem to recall some people having trouble with even five at a time last time. Any chance we could break it up even further and have, maybe, two at a time at slightly more frequent intervals, or even one at a time? That way, there would be more of a chance of everyone talking about the same playlist at the same time. Thoughts?
Well, that would take a really long time to get through that way. As it was, we listened for over a month last time. I thought that was plenty of time.

But as I stated previously, if I get the first five before 12/31, those will come out early to give everyone a head start.
__________________
phanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 07:18 AM   #75
Blue Crack Addict
 
phanan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: in the darkness on the edge of town
Posts: 25,060
Local Time: 08:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axver View Post
Hadn't we declared a minimum of 80:01, i.e. longer than Mini DI?
I don't believe anything was ever officially agreed to, but let's put it this way - I would strongly recommend that playlists don't go below 80 minutes.
__________________

__________________
phanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:22 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com