Desert Island VIII Results Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The fact that IWB's vote supposedly won't have any influence on the top 3 bodes well for me, I think. :wink: But, to be honest, I'd rather not win. I just wanted y'all to get your jam on.

Very excited. :up:

I'm looking forward to seeing these as well. Sometime in the next couple of weeks when I have time, I'll post my thoughts on each list in their respective threads; I'd avoided posting anything or reading anything (besides critiques of my own list) so as not to be swayed in any way. I will say that for the most part, these playlists were really good. A couple of them were a couple of the best I've heard (or at least in the top 5) in all of the Desert Islands I've participated in.

So, I'm just wondering, if someone (me) was willing to do so, who'd be up for bringing back the post results voting thing, you know, where people pick the most cohesive list, best song selection, cover art, etc.? I don't think we've done that since like, DI4, but I know it was fun times.

Though, it's been hard to just get this DI to come to a close, so if no one wants to, that's cool. I was just testin' the waters ;).

i'm skipping gym today. feeling a bit guilty. so hopefully N.W.A., 2Pac, Nas, Cube, Pos, Trugoy and Mase, Shawn Carter, James Fat Man Murphy, Wayne Coyne, Paul Dempsey, Matt Can't Dance Berninger, Mick Drugs Jagger, David Don't Listen To What Phanan Thinks Bowie, Nick The Black Eyed Dog Drake and the rest can drag me into a good placing to ease my guilt.

Pretty excited to see the results thread for this. I'm going to sit back, turn up the new R.E.M. record, and enjoy. :rockon:

I would be more secure in my chances had I included Let's Get It Started. Something to keep in mind for next time.

16. collapse

Total points: 64

Highest Ranking: 3rd
Lowest Ranking: Last

So my playlist can definitely be listened to straight through if you are so inclined. However, I decided to divide it up to make it more manageable, and so instead of one overarching idea or mood, each section has a vague concept behind it. Hopefully everyone will find something they enjoy on my list!

A Call To Arms : We Will Conquer Kings
epic ambitions.

1. Dimmu Borgir - "Progenies Of The Great Apocalypse" - Death Cult Armageddon (5:18)
2. The Vita Ruins - "All The Kids Must Be Sleeping" - A Day Without A Name (3:50)
3. Powerglove - "This Is Halloween" - Saturday Morning Apocalypse (3:53)
4. The Furious City - "Invictus" - Prevail (3:07)
5. Periphery - "Jetpacks Was Yes" - Periphery (3:57)
6. Agalloch - "Falling Snow" - Ashes Against The Grain (9:40)
7. Kylesa - "Don't Look Back" - Spiral Shadow (3:21)
8. Finntroll - "Ett Norrskendad" - Nifelvind (3:34)
9. In Flames - "Dead End" - Come Clarity (3:23)

Total Time: 39:58

Screams And Sleep : Days Undone, Dreams Unforeseen
wavering reality.

1. Red Sparowes - "Alone And Unaware, The Landscape Was Transformed In Front Of Our Eyes" - At The Soundless Dawn (8:28)
2. Whirl - "Leave" - Distressor (4:14)
3. Twin Panda - "Tony's Song" - On Barren Earth (4:02)
4. Envy - "Pieces Of The Moon I Weaved" - Recitation (4:48)
5. Thorr-Axe - "March Of The Wizards" - Roots Of The Mountain (2:03)
6. Sleep - "Dragonaut" - Sleep's Holy Mountain (5:43)
7. Opeth - "Bleak" - Blackwater Park (9:16)

Total Time: 38:30

Amphetamines : (Clarity/Collapse)
mechanical euphoria.

1. Cloudkicker - "Oh, God." - Beacons (5:41)
2. Paper Tiger - "The Bully Plank" - Made Like Us (3:38)
3. Animals As Leaders - "On Impulse" - Animals As Leaders (6:10)
4. Underworld - "Bird 1" - Barking (6:51)
5. Jaydiohead - "Dreaming Up" - Jaydiohead - Jay-Z x Radiohead (3:33)
6. Childs - "Marysal" - Yui (6:53)
7. Atlantis - "Constantinople" - The Silent Ballet: Volume II (7:25)

Total Time: 40:06

Infinite Resignation : It's Not Alright, And That's Alright
triumphant melancholy.

1. Bring Me The Horizon - "Crucify Me" - There Is A Hell, Believe Me I've Seen it. There Is A Heaven, Let's Keep It A Secret. (6:20)
2. The Middle East - "Blood" - The Recordings Of The Middle East (5:27)
3. Alcoholic Faith Mission - "Nut In Your Eye" - 421 Wythe Avenue (3:44)
4. The National - "Sorrow" - High Violet (3:25)
5. The Never Setting Suns - "Stupid Girl, Crazy Horse" - And Now We're Not Alone (4:04)
6. Sikth - "Where Do We Fall? - Death Of A Dead Day (4:40)
7. Zao - "I Lay Sleepless In My Grave" - The Funeral Of God (1:33)
8. Architects - "Hollow Crown" - Hollow Crown (4:25)
9. B.M. Sharp - "The Naif" - Music Is Tight (3:42)

Total Time: 37:16

(2:35:50)

Same :(. Though there were quite a few songs on it I enjoyed. It's not like there were any BAD lists. Something just had to be last.

Hey, no surprise. AtomicBono released it as a side project. It just wasn't commercial enough. :wink:

15. namkcuR

Total Points: 82

Highest Ranking: 4th
Lowest Ranking: Last

timeisatrain.png

Time Is A Train...

For this list, I employed the concept of time travel. The list is broken up into four sections - 1984, 2010, 1974, and 1994 - and bookended in the year 1965. Each section is populated with songs from the time period between the title year and five years previously(i.e., 1984 is 1979-1984, etc). The idea is that you're zapping through a handful of different years in the last five decades and hearing a small mix of music in each of those years, and if you went to any given year and turned on the radio, you wouldn't just hear music from that year, but from the recent years before it as well. The exact years/periods I picked, as well as the five-year timespan each period encompasses, are arbitrary, and were chosen because they best allowed me to use much of the songs I wanted to use. Also, I didn't use every available year in each section - for example, the 2005-2010 section actually only uses stuff from 2008-2010.

As for the music itself, I didn't put any limitations on genre or style or mood. A song only had to meet two criteria to be on the list - be a good song, and be from the appropriate time period. I tried to make each section somewhat diverse in terms of sound, I didn't want any section to sound the same all the way through. The sections aren't equal in terms of number of tracks, but are somewhat equal in terms of total length, except for 1989-1994, which is longer because I included two pretty long tracks(Phish and Jane's Addiction) that I think are good enough to warrant their length(the RHCP track is pretty long too, and I know RHCP isn't very popular here, but I love the extended instrumental outro of the song so much, especially to end that section, I had to use it).

You can listen to this in sections if you want, but it's meant to be listened to in one shot. I've intentionally made some of the transitions between the last track in one section and the first track in the next section sort of clash with one another, sort of abrupt, in an attempt to simulate very suddenly exiting one year and entering another. I've also put the periods in non-chronological order, in the hope that going from 1984 to 2010, or 1974 to 1994, would make the transition more noticeable than going from 1974 to 1984 to 1994, etc.

The whole thing is bookended by two tracks from before anything else on the list. The idea is that the time traveler is from 1965 and will be going into the future over the course of the list. The first track is Lover's Concerto, which is based on Bach's Minuet in G major, and is a very upbeat, lightweight pop song that sounds very of-its-time. The last track is Telstar, by a band called the Tornados. It is an instrumental(the Tornados only made instrumental music), and it has a very futuristic(relative to 1962 when it was recorded) sound to it.

What I envisioned in creating the list is that you start in 1965 with a lightweight pop song that sounds like it's from 1965, hear all this music from future time periods, and then at the end you get back to 1965 and hear this instrumental piece from 1962, that has kind of a wondrous feeling to it, a feeling of possibility, that sounds like it's looking towards much of the music of the future (after everything had changed by the end of the 60s) that you just finished listening to. I discovered this song in the end credits of a season 2 episode of Mad Men, and ever since I decided on this concept for a playlist, I knew I was going to use it and possibly end with it. Additional fun fact: The Tornados' rhythm guitarist was George Bellamy, father of Matt Bellamy.

That's about it. Hope you like it.

1965 (1960-1965)
1. The Toys - "A Lover's Concerto" - A Lover's Concerto Single (2:39)

1984 (1979-1984)
2. Talking Heads - "Air" - Fear Of Music (3:34)
3. Depeche Mode - "Blasphemous Rumours" - The Singles 81<85 (5:09)
4. Men At Work - "Down Under" - Business As Usual (3:46)
5. Julian Lennon - "Valotte" - Valotte (4:17)
6. The Alan Parsons Project - "Old And Wise" - Eye In The Sky (4:55)
7. ABBA - "The Winner Takes It All" - Super Trouper - (4:55)
8. Patti Smith - "Frederick" - Wave (3:05)
9. Metallica - "(Anesthesia) - Pulling Teeth" - Kill'Em'All (4:15)

2010 (2005-2010)
10. Robyn - "Indestructible" - Body Talk (3:41)
11. LCD Soundsystem - "All I Want" - This Is Happening (6:42)
12. Arcade Fire - "Sprawl II (Mountains Beyond Mountains)" - The Suburbs (5:26)
13. Muse - "United States Of Eurasia (+ Collateral Damage)" - The Resistance (5:48)
14. Camera Obscura - "Careless Love" - My Maudlin Career (4:35)
15. Grizzly Bear - "Foreground" - Veckatimest (3:29)
16. MGMT - "Of Moons, Birds, & Monsters" - Oracular Spectacular (4:47)

1974 (1969-1974)
17. Jimi Hendrix - "Room Full Of Mirrors" - Rainbow Bridge (3:17)
18. David Bowie - "Rock 'n' Roll With Me" - Diamond Dogs (4:02)
19. Cat Stevens - "Wild World" - Tea For The Tillerman (3:20)
20. Carole King - "Will You Love Me Tomorrow" - Tapestry (4:14)
21. Roberta Flack - "Killing Me Softly With His Song" - Killing Me Softly (4:50)
22. John Lennon - "Oh My Love" - Imagine (2:46)
23. Stevie Wonder - "I Believe (When I Fall In Love)" - Talking Book (4:51)
24. The Doors - "Touch Me" - The Soft Parade (3:12)
25. The Beatles - "I Want You (She's So Heavy)" - Abbey Road (7:47)

1994 (1989-1994)
26. Counting Crowes - "Mr. Jones" - August And Everything After (4:29)
27. Neneh Cherry & Youssou N'Dour - "7 Seconds" - 7 Seconds Single (6:23)
28. Jeff Buckley - "Grace" - Grace (5:22)
29. Phish - "The Divided Sky" - Junta (11:57)
30. Jane's Addiction - "Three Days" - Ritual De Lo Habitual (10:49)
31. Red Hot Chili Peppers - "Sir Psycho Sexy" - BloodSugarSexMagic (8:17)

1965 (1960-1965)
32. The Tornados - "Telstar" - Telstar Single (3:17)

Total Runtime: 159:37 / 2:39:37

That surprises me. I really liked the concept of his list, and the song selection as well. But, like you said, this next group is really close so...

Wow. I had namkcuR pretty damn high for my list. Top five. Love the concept, thoroughly enjoyed every section, with the exception of the Phish/J.A./RHCP trilogy.

The concept of his list was cool, but the song choices were frustrating. United States of Eurasia FTL

Back
Top Bottom