Desert Island VIII Results Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I don't think I'll compete again... I think this list was as good as I've got.
i hear you. i tossed up whether or not to compete this time but i'm honestly not sure i'll compete again. i don't mean that in any emo/attention seeking way though, honest! just...i hear you. :) but you always produce good lists so...i'm not sure how to end this sentence but yeah i always enjoy your lists, friggin
cobbler.gif

:lol: Yeah I hear ya. Part of it for me is that I don't have the time or the patience to painstakingly create a list like Reggo's, for example. I spent maybe an hour or so all up on this one.

cobl04 said:
I don't think I'll compete again... I think this list was as good as I've got.

You'd be surprised when and where inspiration hits you, and your tastes will change a little, so don't think you'll just be making reruns from here on out. And yeah, sometimes all it takes is a day of work to make one...I finished my DI9 list back in 2008, decided it sucked a week ago and wrapped up a new version that I love in 24 hours.

As for my intentions with future DIs, I have completed lists up to and including DI12. I will be literally mailing them in from here on out. :wink:

As for my intentions with future DIs, I have completed lists up to and including DI12. I will be literally mailing them in from here on out. :wink:
Well, fuck.

We've got a year till the next DI, right? :hmm: I'm doubting my abilities to pull off a decent list again. I worked on Gloria Grey for over 6 months. I've got ideas, but none of them seem to be as good as I'd like them to be. :shrug: Lookout!/Alt Tentacles Island (punk), Desert Island Live! (gonna be hard without bootlegs)...I guess I only had the two solid ideas. I'm leery about doing a punk list cause I don't want to feel like I'm either copycatting IWB or trying to outdo her. And nobody but the two of us likes punk very much. And a list of live tracks is just laughably impossible.

My only concern with making lists far in advance is that new material will come out that I'll like and want to use.

the tourist said:
My only concern with making lists far in advance is that new material will come out that I'll like and want to use.

I just start another one when that happens. :lol: I'm never on the cutting edge, but I don't really find myself stressing out over DI either.

Weren't we talking about a Best Of 2010 Mini DI?

Though my personal concern with that is I used a lot of my favourite 2010 tracks in this tournament's list ...

I would love a crack at Retro Island, myself. Very sorry that I missed it on the first go. I don't suspect I'll be the only one nominating it either. Hell, maybe we could get Khan back. :wink:

I'm willing to accommodate her return to DI with a Finn Island!

... hmm, not sure that'll take off.

I'm not sure enough of us could fill out an 80 minute list of just hip-hop, especially when you consider the tastes of the DI newbies. Why keep it to 8 when 16 could compete in Retro Island II?

A best of 2010 would be OK by me, but I probably could have made a more informed entry when I was in ZOMGYEARENDLISTZ mode.

What if we did a Genre Mini Island, where each contestant picks their own genre to represent? Friggin' cobbler could give us a hip hop list, somebody could do chillwave, somebody could do jangle pop, LM could have his retro, I'd be keen to do a shoegaze list, etc.

I suppose ranking the lists would be VERY apples and oranges though, so maybe it wouldn't work.

Also, I don't see how that would differ significantly from traditional DI, especially for people like me who dedicated their list to one sound. I wouldn't protest it though.

I've decided to go with Punk Island, I think. At least for now. I've got the widest selection of artists to choose from in that genre cause I'm a collector and a nerd like that, either for a mini if one comes up or DI IX.

Also, I don't see how that would differ significantly from traditional DI

How many lists have there ever been dedicated to a single genre, with absolutely nothing outside of it? I can only think of a couple, and that's allowing for more broad umbrella genres.

I mean, even my limited Instrumental and Kiwi Island lists genre-hopped to a reasonable extent.

Axver said:
How many lists have there ever been dedicated to a single genre, with absolutely nothing outside of it? I can only think of a couple, and that's allowing for more broad umbrella genres.

I mean, even my limited Instrumental and Kiwi Island lists genre-hopped to a reasonable extent.

I'm not saying it won't be unique to some degree, just not unique enough to justify its own game. We all, broadly, choose a genre to represent with our lists, some more exclusively than others. All this DI would accomplish is reveal what our comfort zones are, I think.

Again though, if it would give me an opportunity to make a power/jangle-pop disc, I wouldn't have any hard feelings.

:hmm: That could be fun. I could get REALLY specialized with Punk Island.

I'm not sure if I'm ever going to participate in DI again. It's not that I can't make lists (I made my DI7 list in 45 minutes), it's that I don't have the time to listen, and I don't feel like it's fair for me to compete without listening to everyone else.

Mini-DI?

Drunken PFan Coy ... Maybe, We'll See.

I'm not sure if I'm ever going to participate in DI again. It's not that I can't make lists (I made my DI7 list in 45 minutes), it's that I don't have the time to listen, and I don't feel like it's fair for me to compete without listening to everyone else.

To be fair, we had 10 weeks this time. 10 weeks to listen to 15 lists. That's less than 4 hours of listening time per week. Not a hard feat to accomplish, in my opinion. :shrug:

I'd love to make a jazz list. However, it has the same problem as punk and hip-hop lists in the sense that I'm not sure how much appeal it would have.

To be fair, we had 10 weeks this time. 10 weeks to listen to 15 lists. That's less than 4 hours of listening time per week. Not a hard feat to accomplish, in my opinion. :shrug:
agreed, it's just all a matter of making time for it. i hope i don't start an argument or anything and i'm not picking on peefaroni but that's one of the reasons i pulled out of di. the whole point of di (imo) is to introduce people to new music, plus i like the listening diaries and getting people's feedback. if people don't listen and post about it then i have no idea what anyone thought of it which for me anyway defeats the purpose for me.

but like i said, i'm not picking at anyone or anything, just wanted to get it off my chest since it was (sorta) brought up.

What if we did a Genre Mini Island, where each contestant picks their own genre to represent? Friggin' cobbler could give us a hip hop list, somebody could do chillwave, somebody could do jangle pop, LM could have his retro, I'd be keen to do a shoegaze list, etc.

I suppose ranking the lists would be VERY apples and oranges though, so maybe it wouldn't work.

Personally, I wouldn't be a fan of doing this. I mean, like LM said, isn't this basically what we do anyway? My DI7 list was more or less a hip-hop/African beat genre list. Plus, having one person do each "genre" will be a mess, imo. Rankings would probably end up being difficult to make, like Ax said. And, then we can't have two hip-hop lists? Nah, fuck that.

I'm all for another mini-DI, just not one based on genre.

Back
Top Bottom