Desert Island VIII Results Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Gft.

One day, I'll be rich and powerful like Phanan and start a DI store that runs 24/7. And then I'll be homeless because that's an awful idea.
1. Cut a hole in the box.
2. Run DI 24/7.
3. ???
4. Profit.

Also, Mrs. Tourist listened to 5 of the lists with me and her favorite two were Cassie's and Joey's lists.

Reggo said:
1. Cut a hole in the box.
2. Run DI 24/7.
3. ???
4. Profit.

One of these days, Phanan will be too old to do the results and start going to bed at 4 PM after a late dinner. Then his windfall will be MINE.

This was my top five:

[15] Reggo
[14] Iron Yuppie
[13] Phanan
[12] Axver
[11] OneBloodOneLife

A couple things. First off, I had Reggo and Iron Yuppie tied until the final master thread went up because I could not choose one over the other. This was far and away the toughest choice I have had in any of the games. In the end, I went with Reggo because that feeling through the playlist was so unique and well done that it had to take the top spot. Those two were easily 1a and 1b. Two of the best playlists I have heard.

Phanan and Axver were clear 3 and 4. Those top fours could have won almost any past game they were just that good. Then I had a group of four playlists (OneBloodOneLife, Joey, Bono_212 and Tourist) who were all near equals in my opinion. Amazing playlists which were equally deserving of the fifth spot. I think creativity and courage to make such a niche playlist put OneBloodOneLife in there.

All the playlists were good in their own ways. The diversity in style, concept and approach made this one of the best DI's yet. I can't imagine what DI9 will look like. :lol:

Why thank you, Mr Screwtape! :D I'm still shocked and thrilled so many people liked it.

When I first created this playlist, I had no idea it would do this well, and I'm happy quite a few people enjoyed it despite the specific musical genres involved.

Honestly, I think your list is a prime contender for best list in DI history.

As for my top five:

1. phanan
2. bono_212
3. collapse
4. Reggo
5. IWasBored

Thanks for the votes of confidence for my list, everyone. Honestly, I am honored to be included among some of the excellent, excellent playlists in the top five. Looking back on it, my song choices were a bit safe, so the more conceptually-daring lists definitely merited the higher placement.

Screwtape is a worthy champion. The song choices were extremely diverse without being arcane, and the construction of a unified sound from such chronologically varied tracks showed a deft touch. My top two were Phanan and Axver, respectively; although not everything on their lists was "my thing," the flow and mood in both were impeccable.

Four score and five DIs ago, no man would have dreamed of cracking the top 5 with a list full of black people music. I have done mine and Cassie's race proud. Thank you for your undying support on our long walk up that hill.

Favorite post of the thread. Cracked me up to no end at 4am, post-Girl Talk concert, so yeah. Win.

(tie) 11. onebloodonelife

Total Points: 94

Highest Ranking: 1st
Lowest Ranking: Last

Jouissance

:lol: Glad to see my reign of divisive lists continues!

:JohnnyCarson: I'm seeing Cobbler having Cassie as 1st

Yeah I did :lol:

Friggin' Cobbler. Seriously though, thanks Danny, I really appreciate hearing that you enjoyed my list again this time around.

Joey was my number 1 list.
Friggin Cobbler was number 2.
Cass was number 3.
Axver was number 4.
UV92 was number 5.

This was my top five:

[15] Reggo
[14] Iron Yuppie
[13] Phanan
[12] Axver
[11] OneBloodOneLife

A couple things. First off, I had Reggo and Iron Yuppie tied until the final master thread went up because I could not choose one over the other. This was far and away the toughest choice I have had in any of the games. In the end, I went with Reggo because that feeling through the playlist was so unique and well done that it had to take the top spot. Those two were easily 1a and 1b. Two of the best playlists I have heard.

Phanan and Axver were clear 3 and 4. Those top fours could have won almost any past game they were just that good. Then I had a group of four playlists (OneBloodOneLife, Joey, Bono_212 and Tourist) who were all near equals in my opinion. Amazing playlists which were equally deserving of the fifth spot. I think creativity and courage to make such a niche playlist put OneBloodOneLife in there.

All the playlists were good in their own ways. The diversity in style, concept and approach made this one of the best DI's yet. I can't imagine what DI9 will look like. :lol:

Thanks to you both as well!

And HUGE CONGRATS are in order, Screw! You had an incredible list, and I can't wait to see what you come up with for DI9.

TOP FIVES

Axver
1. phanan
2. bono_212
3. collapse
4. Reggo
5. IWasBored

bono_212
1. Screwtape2
2. iron yuppie
3. LemonMelon
4. ultraviolet92
5. phanan

cobl04
1. onebloodonelife
2. the tourist
3. Reggo
4. LemonMelon
5. Screwtape2

Cute Irish Bono
1. phanan
2. Screwtape2
3. bono_212
4. LemonMelon
5. IWasBored

iron yuppie
1. phanan
2. Axver
3. LemonMelon
4. Screwtape2
5. the tourist

Joey788
1. Reggo
2. Cute Irish Bono
3. iron yuppie
4. namkcuR
5. ultraviolet92

KhanadaRhodes
1. Screwtape2
2. LemonMelon
3. Cute Irish Bono
4. cobl04
5. bono_212

LemonMelon
1. the tourist
2. bono_212
3. cobl04
4. Axver
5. Screwtape2

namkcuR
1. Screwtape2
2. phanan
3. LemonMelon
4. bono_212
5. iron yuppie

onebloodonelife
1. phanan
2. iron yuppie
3. LemonMelon
4. Screwtape2
5. Axver

phanan
1. Screwtape2
2. bono_212
3. Axver
4. iron yuppie
5. LemonMelon

Reggo
1. IWasBored
2. iron yuppie
3. Joey788
4. Axver
5. phanan

The Sad Punk
1. LemonMelon
2. onebloodonelife
3. bono_212
4. cobl04
5. iron yuppie

Screwtape2
1. Reggo
2. iron yuppie
3. phanan
4. Axver
5. onebloodonelife

the tourist
1. Joey788
2. cobl04
3. onebloodonelife
4. Axver
5. ultraviolet92

thanks to khan, lemel, bonnie and my dear old pal Andrew who gave me my best ranking (what can i say, Yeezy taught me ;))

Four score and five DIs ago, no man would have dreamed of cracking the top 5 with a list full of black people music. I have done mine and Cassie's race proud. Thank you for your undying support on our long walk up that hill.

honestly? i'm pretty offended you didn't include me in this :sad:

Thanks to Screw (again), Joey, Axxo, and...friggin' Cobbler? Wow, I got from your review that you kinda hated mine...:shrug:

This was an incredible playlist. Thanks to everyone for the great music!

(Is it sad that I've already started thinking about Desert Island IX? Maybe. :wink:)

Really? Cos I didn't... I mean I won't listen to many of the songs again, but the flow*/mood was impeccable.

Well, thanks. I probably misinterpreted what you'd written anyways.

And, no Joey. What's sad is I've got ideas for DI 10, 11, and possibly 12 lined up already.

(Is it sad that I've already started thinking about Desert Island IX? Maybe. :wink:)

Not at all. I think my DI IX list is about 90% there.

Hell, I even have a provisional "DI X" list in the works, even though I intend to probably sit out a tournament or two after DI IX.

Back
Top Bottom